Island Escape 27/11/09

Gold Crew

Greetings seasoned cruisers we are on the colourful coasts cruise in Dec and was wondering about tours on the islands,are we better off doing our own thing or do you recommend the official ships trips?is it cheaper doing yourself

many thanx

Greetings seasoned cruisers we are on the colourful coasts cruise in Dec and was wondering about tours on the islands,are we better off doing our own thing or do you recommend the official ships trips?is it cheaper doing yourself

many thanx

Hiya, we've always found it cheaper to do them ourselves, and at our own speed.. Other than Morocco, where I wouldn't go out on your own, unless you feel very very confident doing so.

I've been told the trick is to either book early or book late.

Wow ship must be pretty popular to your cabin choice to of already gone to early.

Well each Friday I will be getting more and more excited!

Yes,

it was a good cabin too. Next to stairs and lift on deck 9. it was out the door, straight up 1 flight and into the Beachcomber. :D

Great for taking an early morning cuppa' back to the cabin

We got 1 further along the same corridor :eek:, It means walking a few yards more to the stairs :eek::D

Another Friday just gone and 1 week closer for all of us. :D:D

Berwyn

Yes,

it was a good cabin too. Next to stairs and lift on deck 9. it was out the door, straight up 1 flight and into the Beachcomber. :D

Great for taking an early morning cuppa' back to the cabin

We got 1 further along the same corridor :eek:, It means walking a few yards more to the stairs :eek::D

Another Friday just gone and 1 week closer for all of us. :D:D

Berwyn

Shock horror a few more yards!

Hi Berwyn & Crinkle

We have prebooked cabin 7054, I have no idea if this is good or bad :confused:

Wilma

Hi Wilma,

It looks fine, got cabins above and below you so no bignoise from nearby entertainment areas. And only 1 deck down to Island restaurant.

You've got bars and theatre on same deck.

Berwyn

Does anyone know of any links to the deck plans that are not tiny. Tried looking at the ones on the Thomson website, but they are so darn small!

Here you are Crinkle,

http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/island-cruises/island-escape/deck-plans.php

They don't have the thing to show the type of cabin but you get a good view of the layout.

Also more info on the ship on the other tabs on the page

Berwyn

Berwyn,

Thanks for that. Had a quick look on the site you gave Crinkle, it appears our window is front facing but unfortunately don't think there will be of a view:(. Looks like we will be looking onto the deck, oh well you live and learn.

If enjoy this cruise we will know for the next time.

Regards

Wilma

Berwyn,

Thanks for that. Had a quick look on the site you gave Crinkle, it appears our window is front facing but unfortunately don't think there will be of a view:(. Looks like we will be looking onto the deck, oh well you live and learn.

If enjoy this cruise we will know for the next time.

Regards

Wilma

Hi Wilma,

Are you looking at it right? Cabin 7054 is halfway along the starboard side, so you should have a clear view out sideways.

Anyway most people don't spend too much time in them. It's handy to have the window so you know what time of day it is when you wake up.

Best place for enjoying the view is up in the Lookout bar with a glass of wine in your hand as you cruise along. That's where we spent most of our time chillin' before they use it as a disco in the late evening.

Berwyn

Hi B

Typo error should have said 7504 not 7054 OOps:eek:. Think that will explain my post better....lol:rolleyes:

OOH! Looks great that one. At Least you'll be 1st to see the iceberg before we hit it :eek::D

Berwyn

PS Thanks for the tip about what to wear in the evenings on the other thread

Hi we are on the Island Escape on 27/11/09 too. It will be our first time on this ship. We have been on Ocean Village twice and loved the freestyle cruising. The All inclusive drinks package was what clinched it for us as the bar bill can be a bit of a shock. We know the ship is old and that the cabins are smaller than on Ocean Village but from what I have found out the other aspects of the cruise more than make up for it and it isnt as expensive as some cruise ships. Also the tips are included in the price. (you can of course give an extra tip to favourite members of staff).

We have cruised the Med and the Caribbean but the Canaries will be a first for us. We are looking forward to seeing Madeira in particular but not sure we want to go on shore in Morocco having been to Tangier and Tunisia. We hated the experience there so may stay on board that day.

Anyone cruised the Canaries end of November? Are the seas rough? Is the Island Escape a big enough ship to give a smooth ride?

One other thing, Is it true that Island Escape dont provide Tea and Coffee making facilities or hairdryers in the cabins?

Hi Suzy,

I tried to answer some of your questions on the other thread you started.

Weather is crazy at moment though, it's T shirt weather up here and nearly 80 degrees F in Canaries today.

Just been for the Euros today, also got a pile of 1US$ bills for using in Morocco.

Don't want to end up with a lot of their funny money and not being able to bring it out of the country.

Berwyn

Thanks for your reply. I hope the good weather lasts. Counting down the weeks now. So excited!!! Do you take sea sick pills just in case?

Personally we don't, even though Mrs. has got a dodgy stomach. They knock her flat out.

But last time aboard it was really rough crossing from Italy to South of France and it never bothered her. You could feel the ship going through the waves but the glasses weren't flying about, it was fine and so was her stomach

Berwyn

Thanks for your reply. I hope the good weather lasts. Counting down the weeks now. So excited!!! Do you take sea sick pills just in case?

I always take some just incase.. but I also take a huge 1st aid bag for just incases as well!

I've had to take them once before.. but it wasn't even rough that evening.. I'm blaming our cabin!

I always take some just incase.. but I also take a huge 1st aid bag for just incases as well!

I've had to take them once before.. but it wasn't even rough that evening.. I'm blaming our cabin!

Was the cabin moving about from too many cocktails Crinkle? :D

And we're both nurses and we NEVER think of taking a first aid kit :eek:

Berwyn

P.S. The I.E. should be just about getting to sail for her cruise out to the Canaries in just over 1 hour

Was the cabin moving about from too many cocktails Crinkle? :D

And we're both nurses and we NEVER think of taking a first aid kit :eek:

Berwyn

P.S. The I.E. should be just about getting to sail for her cruise out to the Canaries in just over 1 hour

Might of been the reason... but the cabin was right at the front of the ship and having a shower while at sea was interesting to say the least.. so i am still blaming that cabin! ;)

Truely shocking lol

Ooo which port will it be leaving from? So so soon hol time! :D

Might of been the reason... but the cabin was right at the front of the ship and having a shower while at sea was interesting to say the least.. so i am still blaming that cabin! ;)

Truely shocking lol

Ooo which port will it be leaving from? So so soon hol time! :D

OOH YES!!! I can see how being right at the front could do that. We are right at the back in the balcony cabins. (Not the posh ones at the very back, but the standard balcony ones.)

It's the red wine that gets me.

Sliced my finger open opening a packet of meat when in a caravan once, good job site manager had the stuff on hand

She's leaving from Palma any time now, 10 night Western Horizons cruise.

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewHolidayDetails.do?holidayId=W/052668&brochureId=TH39&date=27/10/09&searchCount=1

Berwyn

Archived