SAFETY as a SOLO (and other SOLO TIPS and TRICKS)

kstmbjm

I am going on my twelth cruise in 18 days and it will be my 8th time going solo. I do tend to book only with the cruise line for shore tours, especially this time as I have never been across the pond before. I dont even like taking taxis at home in Chicago alone if I dont have to so I cant say I would do that in a foreign country. I also have a complex medical history so I carry a little wallet sized laminated card with my current medications and list of hospitalizations, for this cruise I am considering giving one the the medical folks on board, but havent decided. I think as a city girl I do a pretty good job of balancing my need to feel safe with my wanting to have fun and for me cruising has been the best way to do that. I tried Disney World solo but cruising is just much better.

It definitely comes down to doing whatever makes you feel comfortable.

I've done tons of solo trips and don't think twice about it, or make any special provisions. I don't see cruising solo as any different than a land trip, or just being out and about near home. Like several others have said, I think the same common sense, precautions and instincts apply no matter where you are.

If I have a set itinerary I email it to family before the trip. There are just two other things everyone in my family does: One is call the others to let them know we're home at the end of a trip, and the other is to call after a flight lands, especially if it's a private plane (we have a crash survivor in the family). Other than that, we each just go about our business and take pix to share after the trip.

Cruise Critics boards have a wealth of information for anyone taking a cruise, be it solo or with other friends/family. I found that my getting connected via the Roll Call boards for my particular cruise enables me to find someone who I "click" with and after meeting them knows of my comings and goings pretty well. Other than that, I haven't, at least to this point, gone out at night in a port I'm not familiar with. Also, I wear something baggy so that I can put my fanny pack on underneath my clothing and sometimes reverse it to my back so no one is even aware that I am carrying anything on me. I, too, like to impress people as being with someone and if I feel threatened in any way, I have, on occasion, asked people if I could walk with them for that reason. If you make a habit of becoming afraid of anything and everything, you won't be able to fully enjoy your trip so go with the intention of being confident with whatever you may do and things will be fine. Simply put...use common sense as you would anywhere. I also make sure that I deadbolt any door I am behind and research ports before I get there.

I've been travelling solo for almost all the trips I've been on and never had any problems whatsoever. It's tru though that as you get older you try to be more careful , I'm 43 now but I too remember when I was in my 20's did stuff on trips that would be considered not too smart. I don't have any problems with going ashore by myself, taking taxis etc... I also really like to explore a city by myself especially in Europe, I do some research on the internet first and find what I want to see and the location, for example in Barcelona I visited a lot of the city by foot, I also did the hop-on,hop-off bus. I really like these buses and have been on them in many different cities. In April I will be going to Asia with Costa, never been to this part of the world so I'm thinking of doing some of the shiptours but will still do my research for independant tours. I'm also hoping to meet people on board whom I could go on shore with, I'm a pretty good judge of character so I usually hook up with very nice people most of whom I still correspond with. I agree that you have to be aware of your surroundings without getting paranoid, and I too leave my itinerary, ship phone number etc...with my parents and siblings and I do email them a few times during the trip. I find that cruises are safe for single women even though in the past few years there have been reports of people going missing on ships, as with any travelling mode there is always a chance of something happening to you but I'm not going to stop travelling because of the what if's. I think it's a good thing that someone started this thread, we single travellers can talk about our experiences as to how to travel smartly and carefully. :)

I find that cruises are safe for single women even though in the past few years there have been reports of people going missing on ships, as with any travelling mode there is always a chance of something happening to you but I'm not going to stop travelling because of the what if's.

I think you will find that all cases of people going overboard either involve excessive amounts of alcohol or suicide. Not a worry for ordinary folks.

I think you will find that all cases of people going overboard either involve excessive amounts of alcohol or suicide. Not a worry for ordinary folks.

I will agree with you that excessive drinking can lead to this, I do not drink at all so no chance of me going overboard because of this!!!! Not suicidal either!!:)

Archived