Snorkel in Roatan or Belize?

foxor

How does the quality, size and diversity of the reefs in Roatan compare to those in Belize? I realize they are a part of the same reef system, but many of the (relatively few) snorkeling pictures I've seen from Roatan make the reefs look small and unhealthy compared to those in Belize. We were hoping to do snorkeling in Roatan to free up time for other things in Belize, such as Cave Tubing, but definitely don't want to miss out on world class snorkeling.

If you have had exceptional snorkeling in Roatan, what reefs did you visit? I'm slightly concerned about over-the-top cruise passenger traffic, too...are there any 'avoid areas' in that sense?

How does the quality, size and diversity of the reefs in Roatan compare to those in Belize? I realize they are a part of the same reef system, but many of the (relatively few) snorkeling pictures I've seen from Roatan make the reefs look small and unhealthy compared to those in Belize. We were hoping to do snorkeling in Roatan to free up time for other things in Belize, such as Cave Tubing, but definitely don't want to miss out on world class snorkeling.

If you have had exceptional snorkeling in Roatan, what reefs did you visit? I'm slightly concerned about over-the-top cruise passenger traffic, too...are there any 'avoid areas' in that sense?

I snorkelled at a part of the reef system called the Blue Channel [near the West End beaches]. The reef system was beautiful and I really enjoyed it. There were a few other boats around and I saw some divers below us. I haven't snorkelled in Belize yet so I can't compare the two, but I have read many excellent reviews about Roatan snorkelling.

Archived