Marseille to Cassis (for Calanques) taxi cost

buggins0402

We're going to be in port in Marseille on November 8, which is a Sunday. The group wants to go to Cassis to do an easy loop trail there and see a bit of the Calanques. When I started the planning a number of months ago I pulled up a bus schedule and things looked like it would work. However, that was a summer schedule - it appears that there are no buses on Sunday on the winter schedule. Train times for the outbound to Cassis don't work, however there is a return that will work. Was wondering if anyone knew how much a taxi to Cassis would be? Or does anyone have any other ideas of a way to see a bit of the Calanques during this time of year? For example could we have a taxi driver take us 5K or so out of Marseille and walk back in to get at least a taste? We do want to spend a few hours in Vieux Port before returning to the ship.

We realize that Cassis will be very dead on a Sunday in November, but seeing at least a bit of the Calanques is our real mission.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
We're going to be in port in Marseille on November 8, which is a Sunday. The group wants to go to Cassis to do an easy loop trail there and see a bit of the Calanques. When I started the planning a number of months ago I pulled up a bus schedule and things looked like it would work. However, that was a summer schedule - it appears that there are no buses on Sunday on the winter schedule. Train times for the outbound to Cassis don't work, however there is a return that will work. Was wondering if anyone knew how much a taxi to Cassis would be? Or does anyone have any other ideas of a way to see a bit of the Calanques during this time of year? For example could we have a taxi driver take us 5K or so out of Marseille and walk back in to get at least a taste? We do want to spend a few hours in Vieux Port before returning to the ship. We realize that Cassis will be very dead on a Sunday in November, but seeing at least a bit of the Calanques is our real mission. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Per MapQuest.com, it about a 25 minutes drive to cover the 17.99 miles between Marseilles and Cassis. A cab for that distance could get very costly. I would consider renting a car. That gives you a chance to see and do more during a port stop there. With your own car, you also be able to see some other wonderful place that are nearby in Provence. It is fairly easy to drive there with some advance planning and preparation. If you need more Provence options to consider, let us know. How much time do you have in that port?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Since posting this I discovered I was looking at the wrong bus route for the winter schedule. There is a bus that works there and the train works for the way back. We considered a car - but we've driven coming back from Aix to just the Marseille airport for drop-off and it was a thrill ride (albeit during night rush-hour). Sunday would be calm, but other couple would rather not have the car. Actually now we're considering just checking out Marseille. We missed going into the city on our land based Provence trip. If it's a calm and warm we might be able to the Calanques by boat rather than hiking them is Cassis.

Archived