Pacific Dawn still in Noumea

MTBrown

The PD is still in Noumea. Has enyone noticed this on the PD web cam. Its very unusual as the ship heads out to sea at around 5PM so somthing must be going on. ;)

cheers Mick

Yes, Mick. I have been watching because as soon as she leaves she is on her way to come & get us.

Let's hope it is just a webcam problem and it is not updating :) As Karmac said when it leaves it is coming back to get us :)

Of all places to be stuck if they are, in Noumea :rolleyes:

Cheers

Not sure exactly what happened but two afternoons in a row there were 2 hours wtihout power and water. The first time was an unscheduled critical maintenance issue they expected only an hour out but turned into two. We werent bothered and just had a sleep instead. The second night (both port days) we came back only to be told that from 3 till 5 (I think) the power and water would be shut off. I think it was an engine cooling problem. We sat outside the coffeeshop and read for 2 hours. Some other people were kicking up a fuss because they couldnt have coffee and a whole heap of other people complained because they couldnt eat (big deal!) Palm Court had their service up and running in a record 15 minutes from the time the power was turned back on until the first plate went out, well done to them all!

After this we did feel either the engines or the AC turn off twice for about half an hour, felts like we were still moving though and it was around 9 at night..

Not sure exactly what happened but two afternoons in a row there were 2 hours wtihout power and water. The first time was an unscheduled critical maintenance issue they expected only an hour out but turned into two. We werent bothered and just had a sleep instead. The second night (both port days) we came back only to be told that from 3 till 5 (I think) the power and water would be shut off. I think it was an engine cooling problem. We sat outside the coffeeshop and read for 2 hours. Some other people were kicking up a fuss because they couldnt have coffee and a whole heap of other people complained because they couldnt eat (big deal!) Palm Court had their service up and running in a record 15 minutes from the time the power was turned back on until the first plate went out, well done to them all!

After this we did feel either the engines or the AC turn off twice for about half an hour, felts like we were still moving though and it was around 9 at night..

may be P&O are tring to save money in bying cheeper bunker fuel oil, as they are known for doing .

I checked the webcam staright away as I'm also on the next cruise. I saw that she had left but after reading this thread she must have only just left.

I just chcked the cam too and it had said 'Alongside Noumea'. So she is 12 hours behind schedule :(. Hopefully they can gain some time on the way back home and you won't loose too much time from your next cruise :).

I have friends on this cruise. They have had bad weather for most of the trip. Last SMS from her was on Friday as they were arriving at Isle of Pines. Weather had cleared that day and looked bright. She had been seasick pretty much the whole trip and had not eaten since Tuesday when they got on board!! She was looking forward to breakfast on Friday as her first meal! First Cruise - I dont know if she took the drugs I recommended or if they didnt work, but I bet she's not going to be keen to do another one! I should get another message tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

I have friends on this cruise. They have had bad weather for most of the trip. Last SMS from her was on Friday as they were arriving at Isle of Pines. Weather had cleared that day and looked bright. She had been seasick pretty much the whole trip and had not eaten since Tuesday when they got on board!! She was looking forward to breakfast on Friday as her first meal! First Cruise - I dont know if she took the drugs I recommended or if they didnt work, but I bet she's not going to be keen to do another one! I should get another message tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

She should have gone and paid for an injection, apparently it's well worth the money for someone who is not dealing with the seas very well.

Do hope that hasn't put them off cruising.....we all want everyone to always enjoy their first cruise....:)

I was speaking to the Doctor on one of our cruises and she was saying that a lot of people are sick through nervousness not seasickness especially first time cruisers because they are a little apprehensive about being at sea and not being able to get off.

Jillybean:)

She should have gone and paid for an injection, apparently it's well worth the money for someone who is not dealing with the seas very well.

Do hope that hasn't put them off cruising.....we all want everyone to always enjoy their first cruise....:)

I was speaking to the Doctor on one of our cruises and she was saying that a lot of people are sick through nervousness not seasickness especially first time cruisers because they are a little apprehensive about being at sea and not being able to get off.

Jillybean:)

I was a bit like this on my first cruise!

I have had seasickness on smaller boat trips and it has kind of a "memory effect" that tells you you are queezy and getting a bit sick as soon as you leave port and feel a bit of motion.

The thought of being seasick with no way to escape it, can cause a panic!

People who have suffered bad seasickness will understand this.

I will not get on a boat without taking seasick medication 4 hours before the first boarding.

I have not been seasick on a cruise or smaller boat trip since I started taking tablets.

I have never needed to take more than 3 ,or for longer than the first day/night.

I put this down to a placebo effect,if I get past the initial sailing without feeling queezy(due to tablets) my brain tells me I cant get sick as easily as i thought

Den

yes that would be interesting please do tell what happened

We were on the last cruise #927,PD experienced power problems on the afternoon of 7/10/09 whilst anchored at Lifou.At around 4PM captain announced that due to essential maintenance required on the water system the main generator needed to be shut down.Essential supply for ship was transferred to auxiliary generator.Limited services onboard continued for 2.5hrs till the main generator was restarted.Hospitality services were affected all that night.Shows went ahead on time.Ship left Lifou over 2hrs late.

On the afternoon of 8/10/09 whilst docked in Port Vila at about 2.30PM another shutdown as per day before occurred.This shutdown lasted till 4.30PM.Another water shutdown occurred in the early hours of 12/10/09 which continued through to mid morning.No hot showers and low water pressure with dirty water at one stage.A slight sewage type smell wafted around some decks and corridors during that day.

Archived