Ocho Rios help needed - closest beach to port?

Cruisebride2005

Hello -

I've tried posting this on the Jamaica board but haven't received much of a response and we're getting close to our sailing date (January 16). My fiance and I are getting married on the Victory while the ship is in Ocho Rios and we are desperate to find a quiet beach/stretch of sand close to the port where we could take some photos before the ship sails. The reception will not be over until 1:30 and the ship leaves at 3:30.

This is our first cruise and we have no idea how long it will take to deboard and reboard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Cruisebride,

Congratulations on your nuptuals. Hubby and I were in Jamaica oh maybe 4 years ago. There is a beach right when you disembark the ship. I didn't want to go shopping, just wanted to laze on a beach and go swimming. It was to the left of the ship.

You have to pay to get in (that's how they keep the riffraff out). It was only $2 I believe at that time. It was a nice beach. We hired a guy with his boat to take us out snorkeling. The beach was nice, no bugs, etc.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've printed off a few maps and am aware of a few beaches that are nearby: Turtle beach, Mallard's Bay, the beach at Margaritaville. Since I've never been to Ocho Rios however, I'm wondering whether they will be quiet enough in the afternoon that we will be able to do some photos. We had also considering getting a day pass at Sandals but the cost per person is now $85 which is a steep price to pay for one hour at the resort given that we wouldn't be using any of the amenities.

Ideally, we're hoping for a small patch of sand where no one is likely to be (i.e. not good for swimming, etc.)!

I am also hoping for some information on the amount of time that we should calculate to deboard and reboard the ship since we have so little time.

We're sailing on the 17th and will be in Jamaica on the 20th. Sorry I'm not much help but wondering if anyone know's if you tender or get off the ship on a pier? Tendering takes more time. Other wise if you can get off the boat on the pier, it's usually pretty quick, 3-5 minutes, if that.

But you know what, you'll be in the tropics, any beach or park will be perfect for any pictures. Congratulations on your wedding, your special day, just relax and enjoy. No STRESS!!!!

My girlfriend eloped to Barbados to get married. Then they jumped in the ocean. Her dress fell apart and she had to buy a new dress for the reception back home 3 weeks after. LOL...

If all else fails, ask a cabby when you get off the ship, They are a wealth of info and often alot of fun. He may even take you to a few other places for pictures, just include him in a few, that would make his day. Do you have a big wedding party?

Congrats again to you both. Enjoy your vacation.

In Jamacia you will be at a pier. To get off the ship that late in the day should be no problem. Getting on the ship is a breeze as well. The only beach that I know of close to the pier is Margarittaville and Sandles. As for Margaritaville, It is loud. It is a bar that loves to have fun. If you do get off the boat and have only an hour and walk to the beach, be aware that it will take from ship to Margaritaville about a 15 min. plus walk. No need to get a cab as most of the walk is behind security. If you do get a cab, Please check with the purser's desk on which one to take. Never take one that is unmarked. For safty reasons. Hope this helps. We have been there 2 years in a row. You will enjoy it. Good luck! Congrat's as well.....

BTW! There are nicer beaches and cool cliff shots with nothing but water behind you. It is the bike excursion. You can ask at the information desk where the tour ends. The place is called Chukka Cove. You may be able to catch a cab there for some shots. You may be able to make this with an hour and a half. It is the Mountain to Sea Bike and Snorkel Tour.

ps. See when the wedding stuff will be over, ask at the information desk any questions you may have and set something up. Then ask the Captian how long you actually have. The boat never leaves on time. Trust me! wink wink. We were the last ones on the boat both time. They pulled the gang plank behind us.

I hope all of this helps.

Congrat's again and have a blast.

Hope you get in on the games on board and on the video as another great memory.

I think you would be disappointed in the Margaritaville Beach, although it is the closest. It is really small (not much larger than a sand box :D ) and the background would be some roped, murky water, a refinery and the cruise ship. The good news is that it is just off the pier to the right and about a 10 minute walk to get around to the entrance. By that time in the afternoon, it should not be crowded though.

I wish you would have time to call Peat Taylor tours. You could arrange for him to meet you dock side and whisk you to the perfect spot and get you back to the ship in time.

You can give him a try: http://www.geocities.com/peattaylor/contact.html

If your reception ends at 1:30, you will be at least another half hour before getting out of there. Then it is 2:00 before you walk off the ship. The dock is very long and then you would have to find your taxi or walk the 10 minutes to Margaritaville...let's say 2:15. It will take you at least another 15 to drive somewhere...2:30. You will have to be back on the ship by 3:00 (or at least you are suppose to be) for the sailing at 3:30. So...that leaves you 15 minutes to take some photo's.:D

Archived