Amsterdam Questions

We will be on a transatlantic cruise next September. Not knowing Europe, we will probably take an excursion through the cruise lines (Celebrity). What should we try to see in Amsterdam, can we just walk from the ship or should we take a tour through the ship?

This one's a tough call...

Most of what one would want to see is easily reached on foot...But, if you don't know the town well, and considering the relative low pricing on the tours (all seem to be around $40 and around 3 hours), I would go with a tour in order to get an orientation, then go to specific sites on my own...

For me, the highlights of Amsterdam were the Anne Frank House, the Portuguese Synagogue, the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum...

Yeah, Andy, the Red Light District was quite a curiousity--especially at night (When I was in Amsterdam in 1975 as a 21 year old college student, my friends and I stayed in a hotel right in this area...and got some great laughs just walking around checking it out--just window shopping, not buying)...It's not quite the same in the morning...

Have fun...

Outside the cruise-terminal there is a city busstop, which brings you to the Central Station. From there you can either walk (Ann Frank) or take the tram.

Inside the terminal there usually is an informationbooth where you can get more info and probably a good map.

Opposite the station you can take a sightseeing boat for a real nice boattour through the canals.

For the Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt's nightwatch) and the Van Goghmuseum you have to take the tram or cab. It is too far to walk.

(Redlight district is also walking distance from the station. At night the situation is less safe then in 1975, but during the day it is certainly o.k.)

Steve,

The red light area is the ultimate 'window' shopping and it is something that most of the tourists do. Like Ine says we would only ever go there through the day , and once you've been once and satisfied the curiosity then that's enough.

ps. Keep up the good work, I always follow your posts, you're cetainly an interesting well travelled guy.

All the best

Andy

My sister and I were in Amsterdam a few years ago on HAL's Rotterdam. We just walked from the dock into the City. We were able to see alot. Anne Frank's House, The Rijksmuseum, The Van Gogh Museum and still had alot of time for strolling around and shopping. Just do some research and decide what you want to see and have a good map. We found it to be a very walkable port.

Archived