Norovirus on Boudicca, including ship's doctor

Mike1948

Passengers confined to their cabins as sickness bug strikes Mediterranean cruise ship

By Mail On Sunday Reporter

Last updated at 1:21 AM on 18th October 2009

Sixteen passengers on a Mediterranean cruise have been confined to their cabins after their ship was hit by the norovirus sickness bug.

The men and women were isolated after the Boudicca, of Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, left Venice yesterday with 850 passengers on board.

The outbreak appeared to start last week when the ship’s doctor confined himself to his own quarters, suspecting he had the highly contagious bug which causes sickness and diarrhoea.

The 28,000-ton Boudicca last night radioed Dubrovnik, its next port of call, seeking permission to dock there today.

Passengers paid between £1,500 and £6,000 for the 21-day cruise, which left Portsmouth on October 5 to visit Malaga, Sardinia, Tunisia and Lisbon.

In February, an outbreak of norovirus on the Boudicca’s sister ship the Balmoral left more than 200 people ill.

A Fred Olsen Cruise Lines spokeswoman said last night: ‘We can confirm that 16 passengers are thought to have the norovirus. The swimming pool and food buffet have been closed down.’

I wonder why the media always pick on outbreaks of "Norvirus" on the Fred. Olsen ships? Apparently it is the second most common illness in the UK and is very common in enclosed areas eg schools, sports cubs and many cruise ships. On the many cruises I have taken with this line I have always found that the cleanliness and efforts to avoid infection were second to none. Is there some sort of vendetta here or am I being paranoid?

• 4 months later...

The Mail group vendetta against Fred. Olsen is alive and well. It's amazing how they highlight a fairly small out-break on the "Boudicca" when Celebrity and Cunard ships have much greater problems.

Archived