St. Thomas, RCI, so many excursions - CONFUSED!

I posted this on the St. Thomas board, but thought I would get more responses here on the general RCI board...

There are 48 excursions listed on RCI's site for St. Thomas! My goodness, I am confused about what to do! Maybe some of you who have been to St. Thomas can help me.

It will be me (38), my hubby (39), and our son who will be 6 at the time of travel. We are traveling next July on Freedom of the Seas and will be in St. Thomas from 11am - 7pm. One of the excursions that peaked my interest was the Skyride to Paradise Point. I saw on the boards where someone said to just go to the scenic overlook on Skyline Drive instead because it is higher up and free. I am kinda scared to get into the Skyride thingy anyway, so maybe this is a better option for me.

I know I would also like to do Megans Bay for 2-3 hours. If we don't do the "excursion" through the ship, how much does it cost to get into Megan's Bay? How much would a taxi cost for the three of us from the ship to Megan's Bay? I would be really happy if the taxi driver would give us a general tour and maybe stop at a few places of interest along the way. How much does this cost? Do they even do this, or do we need to book a real tour?

I would like to do some LIGHT shopping. I am not real big on major shopping; I just want to find some cool souvenirs. Is there shopping like this at the pier? Is it in walking distance to the ship? Can I just have the taxi driver drop us off here on the way back from the beach?

Finally, we will be in St. Maarten the following day from 8am - 5pm. How is St. Maarten different from St. Thomas? What should we do there? I think we might be "beached out" by this point as it will be our third day in the islands. Unless there is a must see beach. Other than that, what do we do in St. Maarten?

Thanks for any info you can give me!!

What you can do is take a cab on your own to Magen's Bay, and then catch one back when you're done. There are lots of cabs and this won't be a problem at all. Magen's Bay is gorgeous. When you come back you can do the Skyline ride. It's nice, great views. Magen's Bay and the ride are very doable. There are some shops at the pier and on the walk back from Skyline. No worries about that. ;)

St. Maarten is a lovely island too. We did the Divi Bay resort beach break. I'm a huge beach person so I just wanted to go from island to island and from beach to beach. Magen's Bay was a little prettier, but boy, that Caribbean water sure is gorgeous.

Have a WONDERFUL trip!!

...and if you want to save a couple of bucks just go to the beach on the waterfront near the pier (take the water taxi over). Personally, I like it better than Orient Beach.

Hi - is this the little beach right as you walk into town from the ship? We had lunch at a great little cafe/restaurant right near the ship and right on the beach (I believe it was to the right as you walked off the pier) - a great little beach in front of the restaurant with chairs, umbrellas...looked nice. We're going again in Feb. and thought we might try it. Anybody else been to this beach?

Archived