Addressee for letter re disabled issue?

LindaKE

I would like to write a letter to NCL asking them to update their port and shore excursion descriptions to better reflect the level of difficulty for the mobility impaired that I encountered on our recent cruise. To whom should my letter be addressed to ensure that it reaches someone who can actually do something about it? What address should I use? I'm posting this on the NCL forum also since I don't know who would have the best advice.

I think the advise you got on the main NCL board is the best you are going to get. I also don't think it will do one lick of good since the excursion desk is a contractor, and they people EVEN ON THE SHIP don't have a clue how accessible or not a tour actually is and they don't seem to have a way to really find out either, they can ask the tour guide but all that buys you is a yes or no we have an accessible bus.

NO ONE seems to take into account the various problems that will be encountered by a person with disabilities, AND of course they are all different, [the people and their needs]

So no matter who you send it too I don't think it will do any good but you can certainly try. I have been trying to get them to do something about the accessible features that some of the ships DO have available that have never been turned on, or that are always broken or that no one on board know about or knows how to operate.

Elevator pass keys, pool lifts, lifts to help board tender boats, etc. and in the year I have been working on this nothing has changed.

As above...good luck getting anyone to pay any attention to your input on this, much less actually do anything, or even respond to a letter. That has been our experience with disability issues in over 20 years of cruising.

If you will feel better writing something, then go ahead. Send it to the president or CEO of the cruise line. Best to start at the top. They will have some flunky pass it along to the right department, where it most likely will be round-filed.

Google certified accessible travel agent and book with them next time. They have experience or knowledge about most of the accessible tours. The cruise line pays their commission and you get first hand knowledge. Would you go to a dentist to have your tonsils remove? Or google NACTA National association of Professional Travel agents. Unlike clia members they tend to be in it for the long haul and have much more experience. Happy Cruising. The right line makes the difference if your in a chair full time.

Google certified accessible travel agent and book with them next time. They have experience or knowledge about most of the accessible tours. The cruise line pays their commission and you get first hand knowledge.

Certainly I agree that the right (properly experienced) travel agent can make a big difference; however the fact is that most of the cruise line shore excursions are not truly accessible. In other words they don't include transportation in a lifted-equipped or ramped bus or van. And the small providers that do offer these do not generally pay commissions.

So, you can either go it alone (book those tours directly) or hire an expert to plan them for you. To be honest, the information is out there, but it just takes a lot of time and back-and-forth to book some of these local tours. So, it depends on what is more valuable to you -- your time or your money. Either way, never rely on the cruise lines for truly accessible shore excursions; or in many cases you will be sorely disappointed.

Here's a short article I did on how to find a travel agent that specializes in accessible travel. http://www.disaboom.com/accessible-travel-general/accessible-travel-tips-finding-the-right-travel-agent

Candy

I agree with Candy. My wife meets and exceeds all of those qualifications. It has cost a lot of money to do all of the required travel and study to reach that point.

Good luck it's a lot of money to have a bad experience. The cruise lines are in the cruise business not the specialized business.

We have been looking for a new travel agent, how do we contact your wife? There are 4 of us, one in a weelchair who take 2 cruises each year. eded@sti.net

I agree with Candy. My wife meets and exceeds all of those qualifications. It has cost a lot of money to do all of the required travel and study to reach that point.

Good luck it's a lot of money to have a bad experience. The cruise lines are in the cruise business not the specialized business.

Archived