Jamaica is it Safe?

Yes We Can

This is a heated topic around here at times. There are loads of posts on the good experiences as well as the bad. I am the type of traveler who won't let someone else's experience completely form my opinion.

I wasn't willing to miss this beautiful port of call just because someone had a bad experience. But that's just me.

On the other hand, being a woman traveling with two other gals I wasn't up for just walking the streets and "winging it", either.

Investigate some of the tour operators and the tours they offer. You will have a great experience and feel safe using a reputable tour company.

We booked with Marva Shaw of http://www.knowjamaica.com. I highly recommend her services.

Enjoy!!

Shara

I LOVE JAMAICA!

We are heading back for our 3rd time!

I would not miss a port in Jamaica for anything. It's beautiful!!!!!

As with any place in this world, there is a risk. My friend's husband was held up at gun point at a 7-eleven one afternoon and then kidnapped....here at home....i've never had a problem in Jamaica.

Like the above poster said...do some research...go with a reputable cruise tour. We are booking with Marva Shaw on our next cruise. The 2 previous times we booked through the ship.

have fun!

p.s. we have been to mobay and Ocho Rios, where are you going?

I agree with the previous posters that it is safe, but I don't know that I would wander around on my own--but that goes for everywhere I travel. I like to research and know about the area that we are traveling to. A little common sense goes a long way!

We had a great time and like other posters used Marva Shaw. We loved our day, but our friends who went on a ship excursion hated it and said they don't want to go back. Do some research and decide what you want to do and then go and enjoy!

Hi,

My wife and I just returned from the Freedom of the Seas on the 10/11 to 10/18 sailing. This was our 14th sailing and I usually book independant tour operators unless the return time is too close to the departure time or if the port is unsavory.

In this case, RCL did not offer a tour to our liking. Based on other posts here we booked with Marva Shaw. I told her we wanted a combo tour of Dunns River falls and Mystic Mountain. She was excellent and provided us with all the tips necessary to make the day very comforable. I would highly recommend Marva for a custom tour or consider booking on ship and be willing to pay the premium being in a large group ship sponsored tour.

I would discourge you from just walking into Ocho Rios!

My impression as a person who now has a second home there:

1) Do the research on the culture

2) People walking around with a diffrerent skin color does not equate loitering as they are going about their business

3) "Hawking" as you might call it is cultural. Don't be insulted.

4) The comfort of a cruise ship is a "safe haven" and doesn't expose you to the reality of how other people live

5) Form your own opinion

6) Jamaicans are among the friendliest people you will ever meet. If someone asks you to buy something or even some pot,big deal.It's a poor country and just because their way of making a living is different than yours doesn't make it unsafe.

7) Jamaican sees "big Amerian" on a "big Ship" and think "Big person has big money." So they wll flock to tourists as for many the one day in port is their greatest opportunity to make money to feed their family that week.

Anyone? :confused:

This may be slightly off topic but Gathina's post reminded me of the thing that left the largest impression on me about Jamaica, specifically Ocho Rios, since that's where we were. But, I have a feeling it applies to the whole island.

Never have I seen people trying so diligently to earn an income. From the lady on the corner with a TV tray set up to sell batteries and baby wipes (that's it, just those 2 things) to the man coming up from the beach with a rod full of fish he had caught earlier.

Throughout our day in Ocho Rios we saw so many people with such an entrepreneurial spirit it truly amazed us.

At the craft market the vendors tried hard to get you to come to their stalls. But a simple "no thank you" was sufficient. We did buy from some of the vendors but eventually you have to say "no".

We had folks offering us phone cards - again, a simple "no thanks" was all it took. We did not have any issues with pot but we were with a reputable tour guide so I wasn't worried about that to begin with.

Gathina makes some very good points below. A little bit of research & common sense is a good thing. But that applies to any foreign destination.

At the airport in Geneva there are billboards everywhere warning travelers about pick-pockets. Crime is not exclusive to any one place.

Shara

I did not feel safe in Jamaica...We did Dunns River Falls and that was beautiful except for the people trying to sell you stuff..Be careful of the "free" stuff as once it is in your hand you pay for it.. Some are selling drugs there and we saw someone shake hands with a drug dealer and didn't know he was handing them drugs.. The look of horror that was on his face and he thanked his lucky star that no police was there to witness it as he would have been arrested right there..As for hubby and I... We do not want to go to that place again.. But that is our opinion.. Like others that have posted be aware whats going on around you..:)

I read your post and think, "cultural, cultural, cultural".

The free stuff you mentioned..they are smart..like I said, they see Big Americans on Big Ship and think you have Big Money. I will also add they are very good at "smelling" when somoene isn't using common sense, has fear, or is a person that doesn't understand their cultural ways.

I did not feel safe in Jamaica...We did Dunns River Falls and that was beautiful except for the people trying to sell you stuff..Be careful of the "free" stuff as once it is in your hand you pay for it.. Some are selling drugs there and we saw someone shake hands with a drug dealer and didn't know he was handing them drugs.. The look of horror that was on his face and he thanked his lucky star that no police was there to witness it as he would have been arrested right there..As for hubby and I... We do not want to go to that place again.. But that is our opinion.. Like others that have posted be aware whats going on around you..:)

I like your post because you have a good open mind and are open to someone's cultural way being "different"..not necessarily better or worse.

I have traveled all over the island and my ex's family is on the south part..and yes, no matter where you go..whether it's someone trying to sell a goat, or pushing a shopping cart with clothes in it..they are trying to make a living.

My ex's aunt and hubby own a restaurant in the country part. Never in my life did I see people work harder..up at 6 am peeling yams and going to the fish mongor, and all day long diffrent rasta man would pull up on a motorbike trying to sell hot peppers or okra..later on another might stop by with a load of dishtowels to sell. The restaurant owners would work until midnight and have one day off per week. I would feel guilty if I wasn't there helping them when I could.

You know,people do what they have to do to feed their family or survive. That's why I don't mind paying full price for something instead of hawking, because I know how far one of our dollars will go and if it feeds a family that night that's fine by me. At least you can say these people are trying to make a living the best we know how and we could earn a good lesson from them.

This may be slightly off topic but Gathina's post reminded me of the thing that left the largest impression on me about Jamaica, specifically Ocho Rios, since that's where we were. But, I have a feeling it applies to the whole island.

Never have I seen people trying so diligently to earn an income. From the lady on the corner with a TV tray set up to sell batteries and baby wipes (that's it, just those 2 things) to the man coming up from the beach with a rod full of fish he had caught earlier.

Throughout our day in Ocho Rios we saw so many people with such an entrepreneurial spirit it truly amazed us.

At the craft market the vendors tried hard to get you to come to their stalls. But a simple "no thank you" was sufficient. We did buy from some of the vendors but eventually you have to say "no".

We had folks offering us phone cards - again, a simple "no thanks" was all it took. We did not have any issues with pot but we were with a reputable tour guide so I wasn't worried about that to begin with.

Gathina makes some very good points below. A little bit of research & common sense is a good thing. But that applies to any foreign destination.

At the airport in Geneva there are billboards everywhere warning travelers about pick-pockets. Crime is not exclusive to any one place.

Shara

We love Jamaica!!

Ocho Rios is my favourite port!

Bear in mind... Jamaica is a poor country.... maybe the vendors are more pushy than usual... but they're only trying to scrape a living and feed their families!!

We've been offered all sorts of things... including hair braiding for my 1" long hair... a simple "no thank you" and a smile is always sufficient.

We've never met an unfriendly Jamaican.

DH and I are seniors.... we always wander alone... but generally stick to 'touristy' areas.... never ever felt unsafe or threatened!

We did the White River tubing... it was the best excursion we've ever done.... a lot of fun!!!

This definitely is a touchy topic. As a traveler, in general no matter where you go or what country you visit you are as safe as you want to be.

It is one's responsibility to make sure that they are not putting themselves in harms way and be aware of their surroundings.

I love Jamaica, there is no place like it, but like any place else in the world it has its good and its bad.

So to answer your question...is it safe?

Absolutley! Jamaica is a safe place.

We feel it is safe, provided you are aware of your surroundings and use common sense.

We were in Ocho Rios last week, and thought it was pretty safe. Yes, we were hounded* by folks trying to sell their wares, but we never felt threatened. The country is beautiful, and the people generally friendly. I was asked quietly once if I wanted a smoke, and just said "no thanks" - no problem. We got off the ship, walked through Ocean Village shopping center, then back to Taj Mahal. We met several cab drivers along the way; we picked one that was wearing a JTB badge. He gave a great tour of OR, up Fern Gully to Colgate, down to Coyaba gardens, over to Scotchies and back to the pier. A wonderful day in a BEAUTIFUL country.

*"Hounded" is probably too strong of a word. The pressure wasn't from the salespersons, it was from within... I wanted to buy something from each of the vendors - just ran out of money.

We feel it is safe, provided you are aware of your surroundings and use common sense.

We were in Ocho Rios last week, and thought it was pretty safe. Yes, we were hounded* by folks trying to sell their wares, but we never felt threatened. The country is beautiful, and the people generally friendly. I was asked quietly once if I wanted a smoke, and just said "no thanks" - no problem. We got off the ship, walked through Ocean Village shopping center, then back to Taj Mahal. We met several cab drivers along the way; we picked one that was wearing a JTB badge. He gave a great tour of OR, up Fern Gully to Colgate, down to Coyaba gardens, over to Scotchies and back to the pier. A wonderful day in a BEAUTIFUL country.

*"Hounded" is probably too strong of a word. The pressure wasn't from the salespersons, it was from within... I wanted to buy something from each of the vendors - just ran out of money.

Archived