Jellyfish -- do we need to worry? Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya

CowPrincess

Finally got DH to sit down and choose some activities, and it seems we'll be doing a fair amount of snorkelling. Once we decided, he got VERY worried about jellyfish in these areas.

So is he right to be worried? Are there any precautions that are useful? We were reading on the net about a "jellyfish repellant" lotion -- anyone know anything about that?

He's even thinking about buying "sting suits" for us.

We'll be going mid-Jan to end of Jan. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

We have been snorkeling and diving in most of the Caribbean ports including the ports you mentioned. We have NEVER encountered jelly fish while so doing.

We always wear a diveskin when we go snorkeling or diving either one. The prime reason for wearing one while snorkeling is UV protection. The worst sunburn I have seen ever happened to young lady snorkeling in the eastern Caribbean. She did have sunscreen on initially but it washed off or was toweled off one of the two.

What many people don't realize is that you're getting a double dose of UV while out on the ocean and when snorkeling in particular. Your floating face down in relatively the same position for a fairly long time. The direct UV radiation coupled with that reflected from the ocean can produce some rather spectacular sunburns.

So keep your skin safe and enjoy that snorkeling excursion. Y'all have a great day out there.;)

"jellyfish repellant" lotion

If its the one that is also a sunscreen, it didn't work for us, got tiny stings anyway. Can't remember the name...

And we have run into jellies on some snorkels in various locations, just recently in Cozumel. Nothing alarming, it was big enough you could see and swim around. So keep an eye out, you never can tell.

Never had any problems with jellyfish at any of these ports, but anytime you're in the ocean you run the risk. Carry a small bottle of white vinegar, a safety razor and shaving cream with you. If you get stung, pour the vinegar over the sting liberally, wash with saltwater (NOT FRESHWATER, this can trigger additional stings!!!!). Apply shaving cream to area and shave withe the safety razor. Rinse again with seawater. This works very well, and reduces the pain and itching. Also, remember benadryl.

I'm glad i haven't because i don't think i'd be to crazy about that.

Yep, we jumped off the back of a snorkel boat in Cabo a few years back, right into the churned and chopped up pieces of jellyfish. Felt like lots of cigarette burns - not something I want to repeat. :p

• 7 months later...

In April I received several stings from those itty bitty jelly fish at Cozumel. They were the size of a pea and kept getting me. Luckily I had no reaction to the stings, so they were more annoying than anything.

In Roatan this February the jellyfish were so thick the major cruise lines cancelled the beach excursions the day we were there.

I would recommend a dive skin if you are concerned. Not expensive and does offer a good deal of protection without the heat of a wetsuit.

• 2 weeks later...

One concern is what is referred to as "Sea Lice"

Check this out From the Sea Safe lotion website:

Sea Lice (Thimble Jellyfish larvae)

Sea Lice is also known as Sea Bather's Eruption (Pica-Pica)

Sea lice generally occur on the lower Atlantic coast of Florida from March through August, with the highest incidence in May and June. I have not heard of them being a problem on the Gulf coast at all. Sea lice create an itchy red rash on areas of the body covered by a bathing suit. But, sea lice are really not lice at all. They are the larvae of the Thimble Jellyfish. The nearly microscopic larvae become trapped between the bathing suit fabric and the skin. The resulting friction activates the larvae’s stinging mechanism. The stinging mechanisms are called nematocysts, like those of a jellyfish.

Symptoms of Sea Lice (Jellyfish larvae )Stings

* On first exposure, while still in the water, a bather may experience a tingling sensation on areas of the body covered by swimwear. Hairy underarms and hairy chests are also affected.

* During the next few hours an itchy red rash develops. The itch can last for several weeks. The rash is the body's reaction to the jellyfish venom, or toxin injected by the nematocysts.

* Some people may develop a fever or feel unwell and tired. Children are more likely to develop systemic effects like fever, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Treatment of Sea Lice (Jellyfish larvae) Stings

After showering, applying diluted vinegar or rubbing alcohol to the skin may help neutralize any remaining toxin from the stinging nematocysts. Hydrocortisone lotion or cream and antihistamines may also help.

Prevention of Sea Lice (Jellyfish larvae )Stings

* The best prevention is to avoid going swimming along the lower southeast coast of Florida during the early summer months, particularly May and June.

* Pay attention to signs posted on the lifeguard towers warning of sea lice in the water.

* Wear as little clothing as possible while swimming in water that may have sea lice.

Using SafeSea Lotion to help prevent Sea Lice (Jellyfish Larvae) Stings

* Use a sunscreen called Safesea that helps prevent the jellyfish nematocysts from stinging. Safesea is used by swimmers, divers, fishermen, surfers, and anyone else that might be exposed to jellyfish or jellyfish larvae. Safesea helps prevent jellyfish stings, sea lice stings and sunburn. Find out more and Order Safesea online.

* When swimming in water with sea lice jellyfish it is most important to remove the bathing suit as quickly as possible. As the fabric dries and the skin rubs against it, more stings will occur. Do not shower with the “contaminated” suit on. The fresh water will cause the nematocysts to sting even more.

* Remove the suit and shower under forceful water to rinse off any larvae that may be clinging to the skin. Rinsing in salt water that is free of larvae is the best way to rinse, but it doesn't seem likely that such could be easily found.

* The contaminated suit should be machine-washed in hot soapy water, and dried in a hot drier. A hand rinsed and air dried suit may still contain active larvae.

Different people are affected to different degrees. I went swimming off Miami Beach a few years ago with some friends during the last week in May. One of them developed a significant rash. I only had a few stings. Another friend had no effects at all. A person’s immune system seems to have an important role in the severity of the reaction an individual may experience.

I've never encountered sea lice on the Gulf coast, but that doesn't mean others haven't.

I snorkelled at Roatan in November and got stung from a jellyfish, all the way around my right ankle.

Incredibly itchy and sore, for over a week. You should have seen me in the airport trying to catch my connecting flight, with my benedryll wearing off! I think some people thought I lost my mind....I was thinking I was going to loose it!

Lesson learned....some type of covering is required.

• 1 month later...

I have used the SafeSea lotion with great success.

Have also been stung by a jellyfish that wrapped around my arm. The boat had the vinegar that was liberally applied and it worked like magic - significantly minimized the burning sensation.

I've never personally seen any jellyfish in Roatan, Belize or Costa Maya (cruise ports). However, I've seen plenty of them before. On our last cruise last December, while in Grand Turk, there were jellyfish everywhere. The tour guide kept telling me these were the harmless ones whenever I asked him about it (I guess I was annoying). He lied - people were stung like crazy.

I'm not a paranoid freak - I went on the swimming with sharks excursion in Bora Bora, but I'm an Engineer and hopefully not dumb.

I think the "skins" is great for Roatan because of the shallowness of the good snorkeling areas. I wore a "skin" in Roatan myself. It's not only good sun protection, if you touch the coral - not only do you kill it, you will have a cut that will last several months and a scar to last a lifetime... at least my husband does (and so does my Dad).

I wouldn't bother snorkling in Costa Maya - go see Kahulinch (sp?) or some other Mayan ruin instead if it's your first time there. Otherwise, I'd hang out in the plaza or the all you can drink place. The reefs aren't great there.

I wasn't impressed with snorkeling in Belize either but I'm biased. I'd pick a rainforest excrusion there instead.

Anyway- I guess the "Box" jellyfish is all the guides look out for. Those little ones they don't worry about but they still hurt. I wouldn't pass up a tour or SCUBA or snorkeling tour I wanted because of jellyfish however.

Check out http://www.sunfriendlyproducts.com for "skins". My husband has had malignant melonoma so we use these...

Archived