Lighthouse Beach-public beach

MNmomof4

I was just in Nassau on the 16th and the information I read here is a little misleading. There is a public beach within walking distance from the port. It's lighthouse beach and it DOES HAVe facilities. They have fairly new restrooms and they have chairs to rent and also soft drinks to buy ($1-$1.50) The water was beautiful and warm.

This is an option is you dont want to stray too far from the ship and not be gone for too long

There weren't any vendors while we were there but that was only a one hour period. There are little yellow cabana type places on the beach and you can buy drinks (soda and beer I think). I didnt notice food but as you walk there you pass McDonalds and Subway :D It's just on the other side of the Sheraton British colonial. You can also buy beer and drinks as you leave the pier area and take it with you. It was not a very big beach and you can see dredging stuff. But to me it was perfect in that it was free and not far from the ship. It also wasnt crowded that day. It seemed like a quiet place. We only had one ship in port when I went so it was mostly ship people. A lot had their carnival towels and were lying on them while some renting chairs

This sounds great - how do you get there from the port?

Thanks for any info:)

Walk to the right from the pier. You will past the hilton british colonial and its right after that. You will see some little yellow huts or cabanas where they sell stuff. It's not a gigantic beach but a nice place to hang out for a few hours. If you look at a nassau map you will see where it says lighthouse beach (basically across the water from the lighthouse) I'm not sure what it will be like if there are lots of ships docked that day

I was just in Nassau on the 16th and the information I read here is a little misleading. There is a public beach within walking distance from the port. It's lighthouse beach and it DOES HAVe facilities. They have fairly new restrooms and they have chairs to rent and also soft drinks to buy ($1-$1.50) The water was beautiful and warm.

This is an option is you dont want to stray too far from the ship and not be gone for too long

Lighthouse Beach has just recently cleaned up it's act. Up until recently, restroom doors were chained, stacked chaises stayed stacked and chained, and vagrants "bothered' people on the beach. I've been approached several time, once by a young man who exposed himself, so I stopped going there.

If the gov't has cleaned it up and has security of some sort, then this would be a great place for cruisers. It's free, and it's walkable.

Archived