Heterosexual Couple Booked on a Gay Cruise Sues Cruise Line

cruiseathon

According to the UK's Daily Mail newspaper (you can read the full article at www dot dailymail dot co dot uk/news/worldnews/article-1220572/Italian-couple-sue-shipping-line-told-holiday-gay-cruise.html) an italian heterosexual couple is suing Grimaldi Cruise Line because they were not informed they were booking themselves onto a Gay Cruise. At the risk of being branded a homophobe, personally I think they have a point, and that prospective passengers should be told if the cruise has a particular theme.

I can see this couple's point, but I guess it depends if the ENTIRE ship was a gay cruise or just a large group.

On a cruise my family (mom, dad, sister, bro-in-law, husband and myself) took in late 2007 we ended up on a cruise with a very large gay group. In particular, it was a "Bear Cruise".

For those of you who don't know, a "Bear" is a bigger gay man. I guess the best way to describe it would be larger, more manly, facial hair, more muscles, etc.

It just so happens that my bro-in-law, father and husband all have facial hair, are tall and are bigger men (broader shoulders, big arms, etc.). My mother, sister and I thought it was HILARIOUS.

I should note that the "Bear" cruisers were very, very respectful of the men and women in our group. We would encounter appreciative looks (not us girls - just our guys) from the "Bears", but no advances were made towards our guys.

It was uncomfortable for the guys for the first day or so and then they just got over it and we all had a blast. Now if there had been making out all over the place, too much PDA of any sort I would have been upset, but I'd be upset if that took place with a straight or gay couple.

It's a chance you take when booking a cruise. It's up to those who book to try and find out what is happening on their cruise. Isn't that a reason there are sites like Cruise Critic?

I used to work for a cruise line. It was common for an agent to inquire if there was a large group booked, i.e., square dancers, bird watchers, etc.

I think it's up to the booking passenger and their TA to do their due diligence.

and where do you draw the line....

should a Neo-**** be allowed to sue if there was a Jewish group.

you can find all kinds of situations. So what should a cruiseline do when you book, tell you" by the way there is X amount of Black, Hispanics, Asian, Christian, Jewish, Muslims....etc" Where would it end.

heck should a liberal sue if there is a conservative group onboard or you get the picture

Archived