Jan in Hawiia

Joshua1

In LA the temperatures can be anywhere from the 50s to the 80s. And much of it depends on where in the area you'll be. The coast by the ports will be much milder than say where I live (which isn't near any tourist attractions) or inland.

That's in the middle of our brief rainy season, and supposedly this year is to be an El Nino year, which means lots of rain. But we need it.

The first couple of days at sea tend to be cool and a bit of rough seas for many sailings (you're crossing a strong current). When approaching Hawaii, you'll be able to tell a difference in temperatures. We did this cruise in late Dec.05/early Jan 06 and we have partly cloudy skies and temps in the high 70s the entire time in the ports. Even in Hilo, which tends to get very rainy.

January is typically one of our cooler months in the LA area and can be rainy depending on the year. We are anticipating a possible El Nino this year, which could mean more rain than usual. We have done the LA to Hawaii trip the last two years over the Christmas holidays, and both years it was raining on our departure day. So just be prepared in case. The good news is that our weather can be unpredictable, so it could be a glorious sunny warm day too. You just never know.

When you leave from the Pacific Coast it tends to be overcast and cool the first few days, especially at that time of year and the seas on this route can be a bit rocky due to the prevailing current. Once you get closer to Hawaii it tends to warm up. The only thing we noticed about the weather in Hawaii at this time of year is that the water is a little cooler for snorkeling so this year we are bringing along wetsuit shirts for added warmth. And we did get some rain in the islands both years. But rain in Hawaii tends to be shortlived and so much more tolerable than rain anywhere else, so it didn't slow us down at all. Although it was pretty funny when we were trying with little luck to get our convertible top up on our rental car!

You will love this cruise. It is our all time favorite!!

That's in the middle of our brief rainy season' date=' and supposedly this year is to be an El Nino year, which means lots of rain. But we need it.

[/quote']

Yes we sure do!! Except for the poor people in the fire areas who have to deal with mud slides. Let's hope it comes in manageable amounts and not in torrents like some El Nino years.

Yes we sure do!! Except for the poor people in the fire areas who have to deal with mud slides. Let's hope it comes in manageable amounts and not in torrents like some El Nino years.

Fortunately that happened last week. But it was a sleepless night for those people, wasn't it? Last year, after the major fire that hit just north of us (about a mile and a half:eek:away), the mountain was reseeded. You can see the bright green miles away. But by late Spring it was brown. So I was nervous the last couple of months. Hopefully this rain helped make Oat Mountain a little less dry.

Fortunately that happened last week. But it was a sleepless night for those people' date=' wasn't it? Last year, after the major fire that hit just north of us (about a mile and a half:eek:away), the mountain was reseeded. You can see the bright green miles away. But by late Spring it was brown. So I was nervous the last couple of months. Hopefully this rain helped make Oat Mountain a little less dry.[/quote']

Damn,nearly 10,000 posts!Your an ELITE POSTER :)

We did the LA to Hawaii cruise in January of 2008. I wore a wind breaker one day on the way back. Other than that it was warm and beautiful. Our first stop, Maui, I think, I got sunburned! Weather is really the luck of the draw. I've been to the Caribbean and had rain every day of a seven day cruise and the next time it was warm and sunny all the way!

Archived