St. Croix Beach Bus

valerie_ny

I've heard there is a beach bus at the end of the pier that will transport you to west side beaches for $12 per person per day. (Can ride as many times as you like) Does anyone have information about this? Does it exist? What beaches does it go to? How often do the busses come?

Thanks

Its called the Jolly Trolley. It runs from Frederiksted to Vincent Mason pool every 20-30 minutes and you can get off at any beach on the Frederiksted/West coast between the two points and ride as many times as you want. There is a minimum of 60 passengers for the shuttle to run. Still waiting to find out if this is a ship booked thing or if you can do it by walking up to them. Stay tuned for more.

--Islander

It is a bus that runs between 4 beaches along the coast from the ship 12 pp paid on ship. 2 beaches have bars 2 do not Rainbow and the last beach cant think of name. Bus runs every 20 min. There is Ft Fredderik beack within walking distance of dock

The ships sell this as an excursion and also advertise that it cannot be bought at the pier - but it can be purchased. Also, there is a woman selling tickets for $6pp for a shuttle to Rainbow beach - roundtrip inside the port gates.

Walk outside the gates and keep to your left and you can walk to a VERY NICE public beach. Beach bars have $1 beers and fruit smoothies, very nice and clean public shower facilities and some of the best snorkling is right there. Look for the rocks and reef. The rocks in front of the Yacht Club is the best snorkling. (healthiest reef I've ever seen - please help keep it that way by not touching it nor wearing suncreen in the water.) The new chairs have been placed there by a vendor, and he will send someone to collect $5 per chair. They were not placed there by the cruiseline as some people insisted. Pay the $5 or sit in the sand- help the islanders. Also to the right of the Fredericksted pier is FANTASTIC snorkling from the pier.

There is an internet cafe that has free internet if you buy a drink and some nice shops and streetside vendors.

This was one of our best beach and snorkling days. We heard from our shipmates that those who booked tours to Christianstead and excursions to Buck Island were very dissappointed.

Hope this helps. It really was a nice day and we would do the same again.

Lazygal - thanks for your review, glad you had a great time. Got a question, you mentioned the Yacht Club and hanging out at Fort Frederik Beach. The only Yacht Club I am familar with on St. Croix is in Teague Bay - pretty much across the island from Frederiksted - is that the one you are refering to or something else?

--Islander

Islander- lazygal might have meant the Country Club, it is close to the pier and it sounds right. You are correct- the STX Yacht Club is even farther East than I am, lol!

I second Islander's comment- so glad visitors enjoyed time here.

Lazygal-thanks so much! This is exactly what we want to do in St Croix - one of the reasons being we are doing expensive excursions in Barbados and St Lucia on this cruise! Excellent info, and thanks thepeacha for clarifying Country Club vs. Yacht Club!

Hello Christian19,

No it doesn't. The Jolly Trolley runs along the west end of the island, which is where Frederiksted is located. Christiansted is sort of across the island from Frederiksted: take a look on a map - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Custom+House+St&daddr=King+St&geocode=FcJMDgEdUvQh_A%3BFcrLDgEd_LUk_A&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=17.747348,-64.703443&sspn=0.00469,0.009624&ie=UTF8&ll=17.729394,-64.765778&spn=0.150101,0.307961&t=h&z=12. On the map A is Frederiksted where the ships dock and B is Christiansted close to the Fort and beginning of the Boardwalk (short walk from there to Big Beards).

--Islander

LOL - it sounds as though I may have confused islands and clubs. That happens on a busy itinerary. Yes, it may have been the country club. It definitely was a private club with conch shells lining the entrance from the beach and a very nice security guard insisting I take a shell. I told him I couldn't .............didn't seem right, but he sure was friendly. That is where the best snorkling was, so it was a little walk north of the public beach.

All of this was within sight and easy walking from the ship. You could keep walking up the shore but we found all we needed right there. It really was a lovely beach and swimming/snorkling area and the local bars provided great ambiance.

Economical and one of the better days of the cruise.

Archived