acupuncture anyone?

I would say don't waste your money. Acupunture is best done over a series of appointments - not a one off. I honestly don't think you're going to find any lasting results (for whatever you want to use acupunture for) just going once.

Has anyone had an acupuncture spa service on board RCI ships? How was it? Waste of $? I've never had acupuncture and for some strange reason, I'm wanting to try it on my NOS cruise in November.

Thanks!

Yes I had it done recently on The Vision, it was one of the worst cruise experiences of my life, it really had an adverse effect on me. Not an experience I would recomend to anyone.

I personally would be afraid to have a procedure like that on a cruise ship where they are far less accountable should something go wrong than for if you were to have it done on land. Also I would be concerned about the training/qualifications of the person providing the treatment. I once had accupuncture on land and had a positive experience, but even if I won a free treatment on a cruise I would be extremely reticent and likely turn the offer down.

Yes I had it done recently on The Vision, it was one of the worst cruise experiences of my life, it really had an adverse effect on me. Not an experience I would recomend to anyone.

OMG - I sure hope that didn't totally ruin your cruise experience. But thanks for the info. I may just stay away from acupuncture on the cruise then.

I would say don't waste your money. Acupunture is best done over a series of appointments - not a one off. I honestly don't think you're going to find any lasting results (for whatever you want to use acupunture for) just going once.

You're right, its best as a series thing. Nevermind :)

Yes, I had an acupuncture treatment last year on AOS. I won it in a raffle. Before this I had never had acupuncture but I actually liked it. In fact after I got home, I found a local acupuncturist and went for a series of 6 treatments to help a couple problems I was having. I was skeptical at first but I really feel it hepled me.

However I will also add that I would not try it on a ship for 2 reasons. First you need a series of treatments for it to be effective, and the cost is so much more on the ship.

On our September Mariner sailing, the Spa and ShipShape Facility held a raffle right around the time of departure and just before MDR early seating. The "prizes" are generally around a $50 discount on a particular service. What ever you "won" had to be used either that evening or very early the next morning. Going in, I knew the one thing I wanted to try was the Acupuncture and I was not interested in the other spa services. I have never tried Acupuncture but knew of the numerous benefits. I also didn't have any chronic aches, pains or ailments that are generally common in people seeking Acupuncture treatment. What I did want was to sleep better. I would preface that back on land and in our daily lives, I wake-up often and my nightly sleep never feels restful or as restorative as I would like. SO, in fact I did "win" a $50 discount toward an Acupuncture treatment.

I did the treatment early the next morning (Monday) and I honestly slept VERY well and deeply restful like never before the entire week on the Mariner. Now, it could also be argued that I was on vacation and could naturally have been in such a relaxed state to have achieved great sleep on my own. I never felt that I wasted my money and I did go back for another session midweek. But I have to say, I didn't quite feel too much warmth and friendliness from the Australian Acupuncturist. And she did try to sell me on some herbal products ("to extend the benefits of the acupuncture session") after.

I do intend to seek further Acupuncture sessions in the near future. Perhaps after the new year when I can apply flex-spending. But I certainly do not regret giving it a try on the Mariner.

I personally have never tried acupuncture but I was on the Mariner in August and picked up a flyer about it.

It states: "A single session normally from $150, or book and receive for one of the port days for $130. Consultations are complimentary."

As others have mentioned, several sessions would need to be scheduled in order to really benefit from acupuncture.

I did not say this in my first post, but the acupuncture treatment that I won in the raffle was for a regular priced $150 treatment. Also I could book the treatment anytime during the cruise. The acupuncturist was a friendly lady from Italy; I wish I could have taken her home with me. She did have products, but not once did she try to sell me anything. My complaints were frequent heartburn and pain in my ankle from arthritis. I actually felt better after my treatment with her which is why I decided to continue with acupuncture after I got home.

I also went to the library and got a couple books about acupuncture as I knew little about it at the time.

I realize this sounds like voodoo, but I honestly feel that it worked for me.

I did not say this in my first post, but the acupuncture treatment that I won in the raffle was for a regular priced $150 treatment. Also I could book the treatment anytime during the cruise. The acupuncturist was a friendly lady from Italy; I wish I could have taken her home with me. She did have products, but not once did she try to sell me anything. My complaints were frequent heartburn and pain in my ankle from arthritis. I actually felt better after my treatment with her which is why I decided to continue with acupuncture after I got home.

I also went to the library and got a couple books about acupuncture as I knew little about it at the time.

I realize this sounds like voodoo, but I honestly feel that it worked for me.

that's pretty cool that you won the acupuncture...and even better that it worked for you. :-) and don't worry...doesn't sound like voodoo to me!

Hi - last summer on the Brilliance Med 14 day repo, I developed a severe case of carpal tunnel on my right wrist. It was so bad that I was afraid that it would ruin my cruise. The first day I went to the accurpucturist and made a series of 4 appointment over the first 7 days (at a generous discount if you book the first day). He was wonderful and the treatments worked! I was able to enjoy my cruise - even the segway tour of Florence Italy (where you need the use of both hands to operate the segway). It was expensive, but it saved my vacation. When I got home I did have the surgery to correct the problem, but I was pain-free during the cruise.

Each situation is different.

Paula

Archived