Help Me Convince my Mom this cruise is for her too

MOMOFTHREE68

My Mom has never been on a cruise before, so we are taking her on our next 4 night DCL. Whenever I try to get her to find activities she'd like to do or read planning material, she just keeps saying "it doesn't matter. This cruise is for the kids." I can't convince her that Disney Cruise Line has activities for her as well, and that this is not going to just be following the kids around watching them to children's activities. I know part of this is because 2 years ago she went with my brother and his family to Disneyworld, and my sister-in-law planned everything to the minute and didn't want Mom's help. I know she'll be pleasantly surprised on the ship, but can you think of anything I can do ahead of time to help her get into the excitment of planning? Planning is what turns a 4 day vacation to months of fun.

Just a thought, perhaps you could contact DCL for the free planning DVD and sit her down and show it to her. I know we were convinced to do a Disney cruise just by watching the podcasts, in fact they got us so excited we booked two cruises before we have even been on one :D

It's time for your mom to go on a adventure vacation, with her other Grandchildren. There are plenty of things that Grandma can do, with, or without the Grandchildren.. The ship experiance is differant from the Disneyworld experiance. Truly, this is one vacation your MOM, doesn't need to miss. METROWON

Maybe you can do some planning for her. Does she take spa treatments? Book her a massage or whatever on the sea day. Other than that on the sea day there isn't too much planning you have to. You just get the daily activity sheet and if the kids will be doing the ship's kids activities then she can figure out what she wants to do when she realizes this.

For Castaway Caye, is she adventurous? Then book her one of those type of activities. Or maybe she would like visiting the stingrays

For Nassau, I am guessing you will be doing family excursions so you can do that planning keeping her interest in mind.

One thing to keep in mind is this:

My mother in law loves traveling with us. When my wife was growing up with her siblings my MIL always had to plan the family vacations. So now she is grateful that I do all of the planning, i.e. booking hotels, reserving restaurants, coming up with a general tour plan, etc. Obviously I keep her interests in mind when planning things.

Archived