SS Over the Years

dereklola

After a disastrous early experience 20 years ago we decided never to cruise again. The we heard of Silversea, tried it in 2004, loved it and have been every year since.

Our first year on the Wind was everything we could have wished for. As always when the actual exceeds your expectations you are very pleased. Probably there were a few little things not quite 100% but the overall experience easily crowded out those. Next year on the Cloud was even more enjoyable helped considerably by the fact that the captain and hostesses were the same people as on the Wind and they remembered us - but we did notice a few more 'little things'.

Then we did the Shadow - didn't like the bigger ship quite as much - captain and crew were not quite as 'wonderful' - and realized we were starting to get more critical. You get the drift. We still thoroughly enjoyed each cruise and think SS is great but - - - - -

- - - here are my questions - - -

Do other posters think SS standards have reduced over the years?

And more specifically - Have the recent fare reductions and special offers affected SS standards significantly? (Obviously they will be watching costs even more closely.)

As you'll notice in my signature we've never sailed SS, though we are booked Cloud 1-16 July CPH-CPH and are very much looking forward to it. All that said our very first cruise on Premier (remember the Big Red Boat?) was absolutely wonderful and what started us crusing. Subsequent cruises on Carnival were even better! And our first cruise on Regent was simply heavenly. I'm going to assert that our experieces with Regent are parallel to yours with SS.

What I think happened though is that on each cruise we raised the bar on our expectations a bit as each cruise was better than the last. We still very much enjoyed our recent 21 days B2B2B on RSSC Navigator but we did notice more "little things." Has service, food, etc slipped on Regent? Some postings on Regent's Board suggest so (as do some postings on Silver Seas, Seabourn's and Crystal's).

Bottom line: While slipping standards or specific lapses on some of these cruise lines probably contributed to your observations; I'm going to suggest that those of us who've been on 3-5 "luxury" cruises may have also had our expectations raised by our prior experiences.

Just a thought.

Greg

I think any cruise on SS will be different for a first timer than for a frequent cruiser with nothing to compare it to. As I just posted on another thread I have been sailing on SS since June 1994 and what you get now does not approach what you got then. But if i were sailing for the first time I know I'd be very impressed because you still get so much in terms of service and quality. I guess that's where the term "the good old days" comes in.

I have been sailing on SS since June 1994 and what you get now does not approach what you got then. But ...............you still get so much in terms of service and quality.

Interesting. Anyone want to make the comparison from, say, 2004?

I feel quite fortunate to be able to cruise on silversea, when there is so much poverty and hardship in the world today! to be moaning about the quality of caviar etc seems petty to me! Lets just think ourselves fortunate to be in a position to be able to cruise at all !!!

Sorry but thats how I feel !!

It's so difficult to compare products from years ago.

I remember our favorite steakhouse that used to offer us a complimentary relish and cheese/cracker tray before our salad. Now we have to ask for bread.

I remember when airline stewardesses were dressed to the nines (as were passengers) and we'd receive a full meal complete with linens in coach class. Now we're lucky to receive peanuts with our soft drink.

Times have changed. Consumers have tightened their belts. Companies have tightened their belts.

I don't expect to receive exactly what I used to receive in terms of "extras". But I will not compromise on service. That to me is the most important "standard".

Good evening!

We've sailed on Silverseas for about 10 years and had the privilege to sail on about 15 voyages around the world.

Personally we love the Filipino staff, we find them much warmer, caring and thoughtful then many of the European staff. One of the reasons we keep returning to SS is because of the wonderful service and caring Filipino team. They're like family. I'm sure Duct Tape will agree with me. SS went through a period a few years back when the Filipino staff were replaced with Eastern Europeans. Although the service was acceptable, many found the Eastern Europeans cold by nature and within one year the Filipino staff were back. Thank you Silverseas!

Salamat!

ScottToronto :)

It's so difficult to compare products from years ago.

I remember our favorite steakhouse that used to offer us a complimentary relish and cheese/cracker tray before our salad. Now we have to ask for bread.

I remember when airline stewardesses were dressed to the nines (as were passengers) and we'd receive a full meal complete with linens in coach class. Now we're lucky to receive peanuts with our soft drink.

Times have changed. Consumers have tightened their belts. Companies have tightened their belts.

I don't expect to receive exactly what I used to receive in terms of "extras". But I will not compromise on service. That to me is the most important "standard".

What also changes is our expectations. My first cruise (complements of my parents) was with a friend on the SS LMatson LUrline form LA to Honolulu in 1965 (inside cabin, three beds, and we did not know the "much older" 21 year-old who shared it with us. . . . nor did we see much of him =) But I do have an abiding memory of the incredible food. . . lots and lots of food, and all wonderful! on that voyage!!!

My next cruise was on Crystal Harmony in 1990, in a balcony suite on deck 9. I thought, although nice, the food was not as opulent as I remembered. I love it, mind you, but wondered.

So, flash forward several years (to 2006, in fact) and I found and bought, on eBay, a menu from that exact 1965 SS Matson Lurline Cruise, the Captain's Dinner, no less. Featured items? Roast Turkey with all the trimmings; Baked ham with sweet potatoes. No shrimp? No lobster? No foie gras? What changed? Me? (Of course!) The times? (Of course!) The culture? (Of course!)

Whoever said you can't go home again was correct.

Archived