Customer Service from TA

RedbirdFL

I got the same price from her that I could have gotten directly from Carnival and no OBC, so, I don't feel like I got a better deal than I could have gotten on my own.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you only got the same price as you could have direct, with no OBC, then you should have shopped more. TAs pretty much always come in cheaper if you know how to shop them. I saved over $1,000 on my two cruises for 2010, if you include trip insurance I saved almost $1400.

Not into cruising as much as most of the members. I think TA's are like newspapers. They are being replaced by the internet.

Not really. Many of them are primarily doing business through the internet, but no website can get you as good of a price as actually talking to someone. Whether it's a PVP or a TA you really need to talk to someone to get the best deals available.

You started a great thread concerning travel agents and customer service RedbirdFL. As you can see by all the different replies that it varies on what people want from a travel agent (TA).

Like K&Rcurt I have a great travel agent that goes beyond for me in pricing,cabin selections, and cruise changes.

I've used her for three and sailing and booked for a fourth with her. Now she is with a web based company suggested by this website. I have never met her, only talked to on the phone or via e-mail, but the service is equal to a face to face.

On my May sailing with Carnival, the sailing was changed due to the outbreak of swine flu in Mexico. She kept me updated with the changes and offering options (cancel or rebooking). The price also went down and I wanted to move from an inside to an outside cabin. She was able to get me an even better cabin location than I suggested.

She also got me over $750 price drop on my 2008 cruise, including one after my final payment that I never asked for. She also either call me or e-mail to wish me a great trip.

Because of her going the extra mile, I've suggested her to several people.

But like MCC retired stated, there are alot of "order taker" travel agents out there. They will just book the trip,contact you close to final payment and maybe when the paperwork is being sent out. To some like Arwenmarkand BigStevethe basics is fine provided the cruise pricing is correct and no errors occur. Some don't want a travel agent to contact them alot.

If you want more from the travel agent that you used, find another one that will work with you. It can be with a traditional travel agency or web based. Before booking, ask questions (how long you been a travel agent? How many cruises you been on?) interview them! This is your vacation!!!

I'm also booked on a charter cruise, the travel agents for that one are just the basic "order taker". The lady seem nice,but never been on any cruise. This makes some difference because she really didn't know much about the ship. I can't change because of the group,but wish that my own travel agent could had handle this booking. When you are use to great customer service, anything else is lacking.

Archived