A pre-review review: RCI not our favorite

One partial cruise on one nine year old ship and you can generalize about the entire cruise line???? Very interesting!!!

I think this is pretty normal. Just imagine...you are shopping at a Grocery store you are used to...then you try a different chain. You shop their one time and really don't care for it, let's say the bakery had fewer choices...SO...you go back to the first Grocery Store. I think this is how most people see things. If you usually stay at one hotel chain, try a different one, but find something you don't care for...Yep...you guess it, if you have an option of both, you go back to the one you liked!

I think this is pretty normal. Just imagine...you are shopping at a Grocery store you are used to...then you try a different chain. You shop their one time and really don't care for it, let's say the bakery had fewer choices...SO...you go back to the first Grocery Store. I think this is how most people see things. If you usually stay at one hotel chain, try a different one, but find something you don't care for...Yep...you guess it, if you have an option of both, you go back to the one you liked!

If the bakery is one of your favorite departments in the grocery store, that might be a smart move.

It is so hard for me to understand the terror that grips so many of you when someone doesn't think just like you do, to the point where you come up with convoluted fairy tales like this one here or the many other rude and illogical remarks here. And to think that I have said only GOOD things about Royal including that I found them superior in several aspects to the line that we personally prefer!

How about some generic stuff that is not cruise line specific and we can always go from there.

Whether its the time of year or the itinerary, the New England/Canada in the autumn attracts an elderly clientele. We are in our early 50's and we were the "kids" on this cruise. I would put the average age easily at 70, with many folks needing some type of assistance such as a walker. Most people were very happy to help each other out (perhaps getting a beverage for someone at the next table in the Windjammer). If you are looking for lots of kids for your kids to get together with or you aren't the most patient crayon in the box, this is not a good choice for you.

Also, for this time of year it is best to be ready for some interesting weather. If you have any concern of seasickness, this is not the time of year or the location for you. Many passengers were sick during our first few days while we sailed with the Nor'easter storm. It was quite rough and the strong howling winds weren't making many people too happy. And, its cold! The outdoor venues on the ship will likely be unused. We did miss that alot as we enjoy the outdoors.

So, that said, we are thinking about going again next year! The ports are such a treat in a couple ways. First, they are refreshingly different, not that there is anything wrong with say Bermuda (one of my favorite places on the planet) but it is really cool to see and do something new. Second, the warmth and friendliness of the people in New England and Canada is remarkable. We couldn't get enough of Portland and Bar Harbor (our two favorites) and now we are anxious to discover more new places to our north.

Well, that's a good intro I guess. More later :)

I'm with you 100%, Chef, and can't wait for your review. That some people can take "RCI not our favorite" to simply mean "Every RCI ship sucks," is cRaZy. I absolutely love donuts, but they're not my FAVORITE...but I still love 'em!

Good Lord.

Remember, I'm leaving next Sat (10/31) so I need either your review posted before then, or info on bringing the box onboard because I've never done that but have recently become a wino. I mean, wine connoisseur.

PS I want to dump the crap that's IN the box and put better stuff into it, so let me know if you did that. :)

I'm with you 100%, Chef, and can't wait for your review. That some people can take "RCI not our favorite" to simply mean "Every RCI ship sucks," is cRaZy. I absolutely love donuts, but they're not my FAVORITE...but I still love 'em!

I tototally agree that saying something is "not my favorite" IS NOT a negative statement,, its is merely a statement of personal TASTE,, so I am waiting to hear the rest of your review as I am sure it will be very interesting. I don't really believe reveiws that are all sunshine and rainbows,, nor reviews that are all dark and gloom,,, so nice balanced ones are the only ones I give much credit to anyways.

Amybeth, I really didn't do anything clever or imaginative. I brought two boxes of wine and put one in my carry on, one in my suitcase. No problems with either one. We arrived early at the port so maybe the staff was still fresh and in a good mood? As I said earlier, this was the complete opposite of a party crowd so maybe no one was checked carefully? And no, I did not alter the contents just kept the original box of wine intact.

I tototally agree that saying something is "not my favorite" IS NOT a negative statement,, its is merely a statement of personal TASTE,, so I am waiting to hear the rest of your review as I am sure it will be very interesting. I don't really believe reveiws that are all sunshine and rainbows,, nor reviews that are all dark and gloom,,, so nice balanced ones are the only ones I give much credit to anyways.

I agree. And even if the OP said "RCI Sucks," then so what? To each his own.

Personally, I like to read reviews of folks who prefer other lines.

If the bakery is one of your favorite departments in the grocery store, that might be a smart move.

It is so hard for me to understand the terror that grips so many of you when someone doesn't think just like you do, to the point where you come up with convoluted fairy tales like this one here or the many other rude and illogical remarks here. And to think that I have said only GOOD things about Royal including that I found them superior in several aspects to the line that we personally prefer!

:)

Wow, I think you might have misunderstood me. I was agreeing with you. My "fairy tale" example was logical...but I guess I didn't explain it well. You said that you prefered NCL. I said: Let's say you usually shop at store A. You decide to try store B...but, while you are there, you decide you like store A better. So...next time you return to Store A. That was it...my comment was not rude or illogical. Perhaps you just read it quickly. We do like RCI, and can't wait to cruise again...however; I see nothing wrong with saying something I don't like about RCI.

Personally, I like to read reviews of folks who prefer other lines.

Same here! That's why the second board I frequent the most (and that means about once a week) is the Carnie board because most people compare Carnie to RCI...and I've already cruised Princess and NCL (albeit the Norway so in my eyes that doesn't even count) and I looooove to read comparisons. And I'd MUCH rather know what sucks than what's great.

GOD am I drizzy right now. Stay away from homemade margaritas. I type 90wpm and this took about three minutes to ::hic:: type. YEESH.

Having lived in New England for 20 years before wising up and heading south (if I wasn't shoveling, I was raking ... and one huge nor'easter in 1987 sealed the deal for me) I can understand the comments about the itinerary not being the most passenger-friendly during the unpredictable fall season. I do concur with the remarks about the friendliness of folks in Bah Hahbah. I would think that the ship would have much to do with one's overall enjoyment ... newer and larger ones tend to handle rougher seas better, not that it's smooth sailing under any circumstances.

I've read more negative comments about NCL's food than that of any other cruise line. My experience supports the contention. I'm convinced that it's done to encourage passengers to dine at the many specialty restaurants ... for a price. RCI's fare is better ... not the gourmet cuisine as described in their blurbs, but decent banquet-quality dishes.

All of this notwithstanding, the staff can make or break a cruise ... even one negative experience can color one's overall perception. So it's all a matter of things coming (or not coming) together. I've never had what I consider a bad cruise ... and I've been on about 40. Have some been better than others? Absolutely! Have I had both great and OK cruises on the same line? You bet! Does a B+ (about the worst I've experienced) cruise discourage me from booking the next one? Of course not!

No matter what your favorite (or not your favorite) ... enjoy!!

Archived