Providers who only book through cruise line?

perlgirlnj

If an excursion company's website says "Cruiseline guests should book through their cruise company" or something like that, does that mean they really won't book you privately? I've come across a couple of providers (ERA helicopter, Wings Airways/Taku Glacier Lodge, Allen Marine, etc.) who have language like that on their website and I've assumed that I can't book privately with them. (I guess I'm also assuming that if they do alot of cruise business that the excursions won't be as private as I like when I book them on my own.)

Is this true? Does anybody have any experience with this?

If an excursion company's website says "Cruiseline guests should book through their cruise company" or something like that, does that mean they really won't book you privately? I've come across a couple of providers (ERA helicopter, Wings Airways/Taku Glacier Lodge, Allen Marine, etc.) who have language like that on their website and I've assumed that I can't book privately with them. (I guess I'm also assuming that if they do alot of cruise business that the excursions won't be as private as I like when I book them on my own.)

Some companies sign exclusive contracts with the cruise lines. Part of the contract REQUIRES them to not take any private customers IF they are cruise passengers.

You have run into this situation with the above mentioned vendors. Look elsewhere.

..I'm also assuming that if they do a lot of cruise business that the excursions won't be as private as I like when I book them on my own.

That's true. Sometimes, however, those operators have great tours - the Glacier Point Safari at Skagway being a good example.

Some companies sign exclusive contracts with the cruise lines. Part of the contract REQUIRES them to not take any private customers IF they are cruise passengers.

You have run into this situation with the above mentioned vendors. Look elsewhere.

There's a horse-drawn trolley tour in Ketchikan that has this exclusion and I haven't found anyone else who offers a horse-drawn tour, so for that one I'll book through the cruise ship since I'd like to include that besides Totem Bight on our own, and the funicular to see the totems up there.

If these tours are what you want, bite the bullet and book them via your cruise line and do it soon before they are sold out.

The shore excursions for my cruise aren't even available yet through the cruise line. According to the website they aren't available until 120 days before sailing, which for me would mean they'd be available in oh, 5 1/2 months from now! So I can probably take some time and find other options........... :)

The shore excursions for my cruise aren't even available yet through the cruise line. According to the website they aren't available until 120 days before sailing, which for me would mean they'd be available in oh, 5 1/2 months from now! So I can probably take some time and find other options........... :)
Ours became available much sooner than they stated they would be available. Keep checking. I only booked through the cruiseline for excursions not available from a private vendor.

As far as I know, private individuals can book on both ERA and Allen Marine. But they may ask you if you are on a cruise ship and if you are, tell you to book thru the cruise line. The cruise line gets a ~20% commission when you book thru them and they want their money!

120 days is 4 months. My AK cruise isn't until mid-May, 7 months from now and I'm already able to book excursions through the cruise line. That is really good for tours that have limited capacity and fill fast.

Keep checking your cruise line site. Maybe yours will go up earlier.

I wasn't expecting ours to go up until sometime next month.

There's a horse-drawn trolley tour in Ketchikan that has this exclusion and I haven't found anyone else who offers a horse-drawn tour, so for that one I'll book through the cruise ship since I'd like to include that besides Totem Bight on our own, and the funicular to see the totems up there.

A horse drawn trolley, has been lined up at the dock, with walk on tours available over the past several years.

You might want to contact the Ketchikan Vistor Association when the cruise season starts in May and determine, if it's still available??? Was this past season.

I've flown to Taku independently, but they now have all their business ship contracted. The other two companies have been contracted for years and most always, did not take any direct bookings.

The ship's tours with these exclusive operators offer a lot of advantages. They are easy to book, easy to pay for, safe, convenient, and often some of the very best tours available at that port. Of course, since they are offered to a lot of people, they will not usually be a small group tour if that is what you are looking for.

We usually take a mix of tours, some ship's excursions, some private tours, and occasionally do it ourself. You have to consider the options in each port and what works for you.

Frankly, I don't quite see that it makes a difference whether the whale I see is seen by 6 other people or 100 other people. Allen Marine does great tours in a big spacious comfortable boat and I love them. But you have to decide what is important to you.

For an example of the kind of mix we like Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Even some of those tour companies that allow you to book independently may put you in a larger group that they have organized, so if being in a small tour group is important to you, I recommend that you confirm with them that your tour will include only the members of your party. :)

A horse drawn trolley, has been lined up at the dock, with walk on tours available over the past several years.

You might want to contact the Ketchikan Vistor Association when the cruise season starts in May and determine, if it's still available??? Was this past season.

THANKS, Budget Queen. Once again you've given me excellent info. :)

http://www.horsetrolleytours.com/ is this company with restrictions??

We walked alot as there are many side streets that have you going up hill.Us SFLA don't know what a hill is LOL.Creek Street area and byond as well as what I guess would be called the downtown are.

NMLady we took a really nice tour to totem Bright and many other areas.We booked after we got off the ship.It was very reasonable.I'l tell you more on our roll call tips

We walked alot as there are many side streets that have you going up hill.Us SFLA don't know what a hill is LOL.Creek Street area and byond as well as what I guess would be called the downtown are.

NMLady we took a really nice tour to totem Bright and many other areas.We booked after we got off the ship.It was very reasonable.I'l tell you more on our roll call tips

The main problem for us for a tour to Totem Bight, besides the cost, is you're limited in the time you can spend there. I prefer being able to spend as short or as long a time as I wish there viewing the totem poles, with explanation in hand.

Ketchikan is so small, where does a horse drawn trolley go?

I have been there several times. I walked, even when my knees

needed replacing.

The biggest advantage that we see in taking the horse-drawn trolley is having a guide explain the various places, and also seeing places that my husband wouldn't be willing to walk to.

You might have been able to walk when your knees needed replacing but he's not willing to do a lot of walking with his bad knees, and his weight on them.

When the cruise industry is responsible for, perhaps 90% of, the visitors to Alaska they do wield a big hammer. I have friends in the excursion business who sign exclusive deals with the cruise companies and I don’t blame them for doing so. In some cases their package is the only “game in town” and in other instances they provide such a much superior product that the competition is almost insignificant.

In our world travels we almost always only use cruise company vendors. But in the US market (Alaska, Hawaii) we go the independent route.

Sometimes these cruise exclusive deals really get under your skin.

The most egregious example for me is the “railroad station” out at our major airport here in Anchorage. Money for it came right out of the federal treasury under one of those so called “earmarks”. Depending upon who you listen to the cost was anywhere between 34 and 38 million. People here had no say and weren’t even aware of it until it was almost complete. It was built some years back but to this day the terminal hasn’t received train service available to the public at large. During the summer an occasional train serves the facility with cruise passengers arriving from or going to Seward. Schedules, etc. seem to be a closely guarded secret. The maintenance burden on the airport for this public investment is significant. A little revenue is derived by renting its massive holding area out for weddings and birthdays.

The main problem for us for a tour to Totem Bight, besides the cost, is you're limited in the time you can spend there. I prefer being able to spend as short or as long a time as I wish there viewing the totem poles, with explanation in hand.

An alternative I always suggest, is to just take the Blue- city bus to Totem Bight. Pick up is outside the tunnel, across from the bus shelter and eagle totem. (no bus shelter on the outbound). Print out and take with you this guide sheet. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

read up on the clan house and features of Totem Bight. Just about as comprehensive as a tour guide. :)

Allow 3 hours.

An alternative I always suggest, is to just take the Blue- city bus to Totem Bight. Pick up is outside the tunnel, across from the bus shelter and eagle totem. (no bus shelter on the outbound). Print out and take with you this guide sheet. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

read up on the clan house and features of Totem Bight. Just about as comprehensive as a tour guide. :)

Allow 3 hours.

That Blue line city bus is our Plan A. I have your directions to it printed out from another thread. If the weather is rainy, then taking a taxi is a possible Plan B. If it's pouring rain ... I'm still working on a Plan C in that case.

I have that guide sheet site already bookmarked. In my printed out Ketchikan notes I've put a reminder to myself to print out and take the guide sheet with me.

Your advice is always extremely helpful, BudgetQueen.

If you have issue booking through cruiseline, there are many local owned businesses that you can book directly, which is the way I preferred anyway.

Archived