Keelung to Taipei? which one should I go to?

cruisecruzer

Hi,

My ship docks in Keelung in Nov and was wondering if it's better to sightsee in Keelung or go to Taipei?

Can anyone recommend a company where I can reserve a van to pick up 8 of us if we decide to go to Taipei?

Thanks!

Annie

We have just been there on the Diamond Princess. My choice would definitely be Taipei. It is actually not that far from Keelung and it rains a lot more in Keelung than it does in Taipei. In fact the day we were there, Sunday 11 October, it rained extremely heavily in Keelung and when we got to Taipei it was relatively fine.

Taipei is the capital and has all the points of interest. I would highly recommend Alido Tours. www.alidotours.com.tw You will be contact with a delightful gentleman by the name of Michael.

This tour included the following:

Guards changing ceremony at Martyrs’ Shrine

Visit National Palace Museum

Handy craft center

Lunch Time

Visit Longshan Temple

Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall

Taipei 101 Building, the tallest building in the world

Our private tour with 18 people with Michael was nearly one-third the ship tour prices. We did have to buy our own lunch but we did that at the Taipei 101 building complex which has a wonderful foodhall in the basement.

We paid via credit card in advance for our tour and the rest of the group just paid on the day. They like to be paid in local currency, Taiwan New$ and will take you to a money changer or ATM so you can get money. When I first made contact with Michael there was only to be 8 of us and they could cater for us. However when our group grew to 14, they reduced the price a bit for us.

We recommend this company highly.

Cheers

Beryl

Hope this helps

Beryl

Hello Beryl,

Thank you for all the wonderful information you've supplied.

I'm interested in contacting the guide in Tapei but I'm having trouble with the website you gave. Do you have any other contact information?

Thanks so much!

Jeanne

I also just returned from a Princess Cruise with a stop at Keelung. We did not book an excursion in advance, but hired a cab driver to take 4 of us to Taipai. You will find taxis lined up when you exit the fenced port area in Keelung. Our driver offered us 5 stops (major tourist stops) and waited for us at each. You determine how much time you will need at each stop. Our last stop was Taipai 101. It costs about $12 each to go to the top, but worth it. The food court is in the basement, we missed it.

As I recall, the taxi cost was about $120 for the day for 4 people. Some people got better rates, but we were pleased with our driver. At $30-35 per person/day it was a pretty good value.

Sorry I gave an incorrect web address (my pet hate!!). The one given above is correct. You can also contact Michael directly at Michael Yau [yau1230@yahoo.com.tw].

We have also done the taxi option previously in different ports but of course the English ability of taxi drivers tends to be hit and miss - and sometimes non-existent. Our guide had good English skills, although accented of course and we learned a lot about the country/city.

We thought it very good value.

Beryl

Archived