Has anyone pre-ordered a lei for arrival at the airport?

flashdog_1

Just to give you a price comparison, the same type of lei can be purchased at WalMart or the major supermarkets in Hawaii for about 6-7 bucks.

And a warning...

In some places, especially Waikiki they have kids holding plumeria lei (another cheap flower) and they give you a little "cute act" and put the lei on you but then they expect you to pay them 15 bucks for it. If you decline they take back the lei. Straight up scam.

While we have never ordered one, our TA did a lei ordered for each of us when we arrived at the Maui aiport.

Nice thought but it acturally scared us a bit! :eek: They paged us on the speakers and we thought there was some sort of problem back home.

We used VIP 3 weeks ago when we went to Honolulu. We did not get the lei but plenty of other people did. Personally I did not think there was anything special. The drivers had a box of lei's and they just called out the names of the people who ordered them and put them over their heads. No Aloha or welcome. Just my observation.

VIP has pictures of the "standard" and "deluxe" leis on their website http://viptrans.com/lei-greetings.asp

I'm guessing they've either gone up by $2 or what you saw included a discount?

Yes, it is a discount if you buy the one way transportation ($11) plus lei $25.

http://viptrans.com/airport-and-waikiki-shuttle.asp

I assume there would not have to be a paging to give you your lei (if you just ordered a lei and not transportation I can see why they would do this). It says have your camera ready so you can capture the "being leid." ha

We used VIP 3 weeks ago when we went to Honolulu. We did not get the lei but plenty of other people did. Personally I did not think there was anything special. The drivers had a box of lei's and they just called out the names of the people who ordered them and put them over their heads. No Aloha or welcome. Just my observation.

Interesting, we used VIP last week. It was part of our Delta Vacations pre cruise package and we maybe lucked out but I thought they were great! The girl that found us was nice and bubbly and gave us a big hug and kiss on the cheek along with the lei! I do have to admit that they were calling out our name but I was glad they did...we took the "long route" to baggage claim and didn't pass them with their signs so I was getting nervous that we'd missed them! I was happy to hear our name called out!! The lei was also very nice that came with that "package", perfect size IMHO!

Just to give you a price comparison, the same type of lei can be purchased at WalMart or the major supermarkets in Hawaii for about 6-7 bucks.

And a warning...

In some places, especially Waikiki they have kids holding plumeria lei (another cheap flower) and they give you a little "cute act" and put the lei on you but then they expect you to pay them 15 bucks for it. If you decline they take back the lei. Straight up scam.

What a great idea! Have one of their 75 year old store greeters down at the airport selling $6 buck lei's to Billie Bob and his wife Urleane as they get off the plane! Reminds me of the movie "The High and the Mighty"! Are you listening Wal-Mart!:D:):D

• 2 weeks later...

I have, but I won't again. I paid $28 for 2. The company that picked us up didn't have any for us. We had to show our receipt to prove that we paid for them. Then the guy had to go to someone else in the airport to borrow two leis because he didn't have enough for us. Needless to say that by the time we actually got our leis, it wasn't very special.

Archived