Suggestions for a November cruise?

Lisou

Bonjour,

Long story but I am looking into booking a last minute cruise for somewhere other than the Caribbeans for anytime between early November to early December. Any suggestions???

We just returned from a Western Med cruise and loved it! I am a single mom from Canada cruising with my six year old daughter.

I was thinking of Eastern Med but not sure about the weather and seas at this time of the year. Then was thinking of Asia or India but the last minute flights seemed outrageous.

Any ideas???

Merci!

I know you said no Caribbean, but what about the Panama Canal? I've done the Canal twice in November and loved it.

What about a cruise to Hawaii? Europe is just so cold this time of year that I don't think you'll find much in the way of availability.

A South America cruise would be nice too.

Lisou, can you please tell us the number of days you have available for travel? Also, some idea of total budget?

From your past posts, it was Voyager of the Seas you enjoyed so much, 7 days. And I think you're considering Splendour? The time of year - after the tourist season - is ideal for few crowds, but it will be cool.

Another 7 day idea would be the Mexican Riviera, from Los Angeles, Mariner of the Seas. Airfare would certainly be cheaper.

hello,

I agree with the previous poster...the Radiance is a very nice ship and especially considering the low fares to Mexico. And San Diego is an excellent port given the number of reasonably price hotels, and lots of things to do. Further, it is no hassle whatsoever as the cruise terminal is about 15 minutes at most from the airport.

The Eastern Med is great in November. I did it two years ago. If you can find an itinerary that include some Greek isles and Egypt, you should have good weather. Some of the northerly ports can be cooler but still good for sightseeing. Istanbul is a wonderful place.

Princess has what they call their "Egypt and the Aegean" itineraries in November -- check into it. The prices are generally pretty low if you wait until close to the cruise to book. The itinerary is roundtrip from Rome and includes Naples, Athens, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Istanbul, and an overnight in Egypt.

We did Eastern Mediterean cruise last year late November/early December. Weather was good - temperatures ranging from upper 50's to mid 70's - ports included Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Turkey, Egypt and Malta. We sailed on the NCL Jade which had excellent itinerary and even better price - the ship was nice (food was poor however) it all depends on what you are looking for, but I would definitely check out NCL for a good deal.:)

First choice: Hawaii (done it and loved it; we're Hawaii enthusiasts; just an note as perhaps uninteresting FYI: regardless of how it is referenced and what some think, Hawaii is not in the the South Pacific; it is in the tropics, so I list it separately from my 2nd choice--Hawaii really is my 1st choice for a late fall cruise; if you're interested in Hawaii, I suggest you consider NCLA's Pride of America as it's the only cruise ship allowed to do Hawaii-only itineraries and is a 7-day cruise, we would and did include pre-/post-cruise land days because there is so much to see and do)

Second choice: Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific (my mom did a 4 week land-cruise combo and loved all parts, especially the fjords and the long port stop they had for Dunedin; my DH and I are anxious to visit any and all of these options, especially Australia and the Society Islands; if the New Zealand fjords are even a fraction as wonderful as the Norwegian fjords, it would be a great option and super time of year)

Third choice: Eastern Med (will be cooler, but much less crowded; IMO a great time of year to visit; no personal experience with it, but many love it)

Fourth choice: Mexican Riviera (longer cruise if possible or one that hits other than the same-old-same-old ports; disclaimer in the interest of full disclosure: DH has done MR cruise and has no interest in doing it again, I have no interest in it period)

Hope you find a terrific deal and have a wonderful time with your daughter. What lovely experiences you are giving her and what a great way to enjoy each other.

beachchick

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions...so kind of you!

The issue at hand is that last year (2008) I had cancer so this past Western Med cruise in Oct 2009 was a celebration of life with my 6 year old daughter. We both got hooked on cruising. I came back to some `not so good news`regarding my health and now have some decisions to make regarding next steps in my process. I felt I needed to get away from it all. Well, in the meantime, a long lost friend living in a different part of Canada (which I have not visited with my daughter) called me and so I decided that I will be flying to spend a week with her family. Bonus is that our daughter`s are the same age.

Thank you again for all your suggestions...I will keep them for future reference as I am planning on cruising again next fall, if my health allows me.

Good night everyone!

Merci!

Archived