Some Atlantis Miscellaneous Questions

roen

Hey guys - doing the January cruise with my boyfriend - first gay cruise for both of us. First off, thanks a ton to everyone who has posted in this area about Atlantis over the last few years. I've spent a couple months doing searches and reading threads. Most of my questions were answered, and my excitement level has from "Dude, I'm going on a cruise!" to "OMFG, my head's going to explode and rainbows will come pouring out my ears if I don't.leave.RIGHT.NOW!"

A few things I couldn't find answers for:

1) How much is the on-board discount for booking future cruises? Is it always the same, or does it vary depending on ship/itinerary/room category? Do you just put down a deposit on the trip? (I'm assuming I'll probably want to take advantage of it, and want to know how much cash to have available.)

2) Is it weird that the Liberty hasn't sold out yet, and still has so many rooms available? Does Atlantis ever cancel a trip (can't imagine they do, but... *twiddles nervously*)?

3) Are the DJ lineups always the same, and if so, who are they? I've found lots of notes about who the guest performers have been, but the DJ names haven't really been mentioned much.

4) I noticed on the Mexico documents, they listed a nude sunbathing deck... Is that something that will be on the January cruise? My bf had a bit of a panic attack, while me, the total exhibitionist, went "wooohoooo!" :)

5) This was just something weird I wondered... With all the guys on board, do they make the bathrooms and locker rooms and stuff unisex? Or are all the ladies rooms just for the dudes in drag?

I think that covers it - thanks again for all the great posts. I cannot wait to get out on the boat and run around and hug random unknown homos and make lots and lots of friends :).

Cheers!

Kevin

Even though I have not been on an Atlantis cruise but a couple RSVP cruises, some answers should be valid for either. :) (Atlantis now owns RSVP)

1) How much is the on-board discount for booking future cruises? Is it always the same, or does it vary depending on ship/itinerary/room category? Do you just put down a deposit on the trip? (I'm assuming I'll probably want to take advantage of it, and want to know how much cash to have available.)

With RSVP we would fill in an application for a future cruise while onboard and the deposit would be charged to our credit card within a few weeks of the cruise.

2) Is it weird that the Liberty hasn't sold out yet, and still has so many rooms available? Does Atlantis ever cancel a trip (can't imagine they do, but... *twiddles nervously*)?

Since Atlantis contracts to charter the whole ship, there is nothing to gain by canceling it, they are still out the money. If it doesn't sell out, incentives may be offered to increase bookings. I have not heard of a gay charter being canceled, especially close to sailing time. The cruise line would have no chance selling out the ship in case of a short-notice cancellation.

4) I noticed on the Mexico documents, they listed a nude sunbathing deck... Is that something that will be on the January cruise? My bf had a bit of a panic attack, while me, the total exhibitionist, went "wooohoooo!"

All our warm-weather RSVP cruises have had a clothing optional deck; I think they just used to happen (guys would find a deck out of the way and drop trou’) but on this year’s cruise there was actually an assigned deck with signs indicating it is clothing optional. It is usually the highest deck (and on our ships the furthest up front and high). I don’t know why your b/f would have a panic attack; he does not have to go there. :D It is usually a nice and quiet area away from the crowds. BTW the drinks servers don’t bat an eye working in that area, just don’t order a drink and then get naked, it confuses them!

5) This was just something weird I wondered... With all the guys on board, do they make the bathrooms and locker rooms and stuff unisex? Or are all the ladies rooms just for the dudes in drag?

RSVP usually has a few more women on board than Atlantis but I have seen signs changing some of the ladies' rooms to unisex.

I think that covers it - thanks again for all the great posts. I cannot wait to get out on the boat and run around and hug random unknown homos and make lots and lots of friends .

I am sure you will have a great time!

From my limited experience:

There was a small discount on future booking ($100) but only to high category for one who books on board. It does take them several weeks to process the booking though.

All becomes unisex (and if you brave enough you can venture inside).

Good questions, i was wondering if there were any nude areas on the ship, I'm with ya on the excitement building! it going to be a crazy 3 monthes leading up to the cruise so I will definitely be ready for this vacaion. Not sure how I will explain my absense for the week to others....

Good questions, i was wondering if there were any nude areas on the ship, I'm with ya on the excitement building! it going to be a crazy 3 monthes leading up to the cruise so I will definitely be ready for this vacaion. Not sure how I will explain my absense for the week to others....

Green= available

Red= spoken for/ not available

Yellow used to be...buy me a drink and we can talk. Current defintion.....maybe.

The tags use to tell you if someone was single or with someone/ in a relationship.

You will see people start out red, go to yellow then end up green during the week. What this means is up to the wearer.

Respect for red tags is appropriate.

Anyone know what the dots on the dog tags mean? I see yellow or green dots on the videos I have seen. any insight? :rolleyes:

a dog tag with 2 green dots it means "you don't even have to buy me a drink"! :eek:

Here's a tip, guys: keep your dog tags and bring to wear on future Atlantis trips. At the Dog Tag T-dance you'll see guys ladened with dog tags from past cruises (several with 20+!). I've got a few myself and am working on building my collection.

Happy cruising! :)

Thanks for all the replies! Here's some individual responses

I don’t know why your b/f would have a panic attack; he does not have to go there. :D

Thanks Boytjie! He panicked because he knew he'd have to venture in there to find me when I wander off without my speedo :). (Give him a day, though, and I'm sure he'll drop trou and join me in there. :p)

From my limited experience:

There was a small discount on future booking ($100) but only to high category for one who books on board.

Thanks MDDC. I'll have my cc ready for it, then :).

I actually told my coworkers where I'm going, but my bf didn't... (He's kind of private, whereas I am a blabbermouth.) I don't think any of them really understand the draw to a shipfull of gay guys, but they also live in a world full of straight people.

The dog tag situation is a cool idea. It's a nice way to give fair warning and still be able to smile at strangers.

Thanks Boytjie! He panicked because he knew he'd have to venture in there to find me when I wander off without my speedo :). (Give him a day, though, and I'm sure he'll drop trou and join me in there. :p)

Not everyone goes without on those decks (In my experience). My SO will go with me but he keeps his bathing suit on. I hope your BF followes, mine is not so adventurous. :)

And BTW, no wandering about without your speedo, go there clothed then take it off! :D

I actually told my coworkers where I'm going, but my bf didn't... (He's kind of private, whereas I am a blabbermouth.) I don't think any of them really understand the draw to a shipfull of gay guys, but they also live in a world full of straight people.

You just tell people you are going on a cruise, simple enough! after my second cruise I showed pictures at work from our Alaska cruise and a co-worker eventually commented: but there are only men... I said yes, because its a gay cruise. And that was it. (I am out at work, but some may not be so aware)

I'm pretty excited... I've got my trip on Enchantment first though and that is a straight cruise with my Mother and Nephew which should be interesting to say the least since we are all staying in an inside stateroom. Hopefully nobody ends up overboard!

Probably between $100 and $200 depending what you book.

Not at all. The Mexico didn't sell out until shortly before we left. I have no doubt this boat will sail nearly full, it always does. I did this cruise in 2008 and can't recommend it highly enough! Plus, IMO your itinerary is just about the perfect Caribbean trip!

3) Are the DJ lineups always the same, and if so, who are they? I've found lots of notes about who the guest performers have been, but the DJ names haven't really been mentioned much.

I would bet on ABEL and Manny Lehman, who are regulars. They were both absolutely OUTSTANDING on last week's Mexico cruise. You will also have about three other awesome DJs who will be announced in your pre-cruise packet. In the past we've had Warren Gluck, Wayne G, Paul Goodyear etc. etc.

4) I noticed on the Mexico documents, they listed a nude sunbathing deck... Is that something that will be on the January cruise? My bf had a bit of a panic attack, while me, the total exhibitionist, went "wooohoooo!" :)

That will be high up on Deck 13 at the front of the ship. You will only find it if you go looking for it and it can be quite fun! LOL

The restrooms will be Mens and Unisex.

Probably between $100 and $200 depending what you book.

Thanks Dave. Good to know - I'm guessing this is how the cheapest rates were sold out the day the Jan. cruise went on sale this year? I'd been watching the Atlantis page for months for the new cruise to pop up, and when it did, I was totally befuddled about the bottom category being gone already.

Not at all. The Mexico didn't sell out until shortly before we left. I have no doubt this boat will sail nearly full, it always does. I did this cruise in 2008 and can't recommend it highly enough! Plus, IMO your itinerary is just about the perfect Caribbean trip!

Yeah, I'm happy with the itinerary too. I saw the one before the change (St. Maarten, maybe?), but I'm really looking forward to Cozumel. We dove there a few years ago w/ my family, but I didn't get a chance to see the undeveloped side... Windswept isolation, ftw!

I would bet on ABEL and Manny Lehman, who are regulars. They were both absolutely OUTSTANDING on last week's Mexico cruise. You will also have about three other awesome DJs who will be announced in your pre-cruise packet. In the past we've had Warren Gluck, Wayne G, Paul Goodyear etc. etc.

Awesome, thanks. This is something I'm really looking forward to... I've never done any of the circuit parties (I love dancing, but to make a whole vacation out of it takes a bit more, a la the sea or something nature-ish).

That will be high up on Deck 13 at the front of the ship. You will only find it if you go looking for it and it can be quite fun! LOL

Whoohooo - adventure beckons. I'ma goin' mast hunting :).

Thanks Dave. Good to know - I'm guessing this is how the cheapest rates were sold out the day the Jan. cruise went on sale this year? I'd been watching the Atlantis page for months for the new cruise to pop up, and when it did, I was totally befuddled about the bottom category being gone already.

Atlantis is probably similar to RSVP in this regard: the cabins that sell out first are the insides (cheapest) and luxury suites (highest).

Yeah, I'm happy with the itinerary too. I saw the one before the change (St. Maarten, maybe?), but I'm really looking forward to Cozumel. We dove there a few years ago w/ my family, but I didn't get a chance to see the undeveloped side... Windswept isolation, ftw!

Drift diving in Cozumel was fun! We also had the worst weather leaving that day and at times tendering was abandoned because the water was so rough. There were 10 or 11 ships in Cozumel that day!

Archived