Helpful things to bring on the cruise

Murphy&Bailey

Reading through this, I think that most people have covered the things that I bring. The two that I will mention are plastic grocery store bags to put dirty shoes and other things in when packing to leave. Also, we take photos of our valuables (jewelry, camera, ipod, computer) with a local newspaper to show that we did not purchase the item duty free.

Post-its and a pencil to leave in our mailbox for friends to leave us notes when we are out.

Besides a corkscrew, we always take a wine preserver with us. And of course, we take a necessary accessory - a case of our favorite wines to enjoy in our cabin. We normally bring bottles, but there are some good boxed wines that make good usage of space.

Quick charger with extra batteries for mp3 player, cameras, etc.

Another thing we do for trips that doesn't take up room in our luggage is to scan copies of our passports and other travel documents, including contact information for our credit card companies (phone numbers for the companies - we don't write down the cards' security codes, exp. dates, etc.) into an Adobe PDF file and save it with a password. Then upload it to our email account so we can access it later online, if we need to get any of the documentation. If you need them, you should be able to find an internet cafe or some other location with internet access.

A couple of paperback books that we read on the flights to the ship and then leave in the book exchange in the library area of the ship. We usually find another book at the exchange area for the return home that we haven't read.

Thanks for the new ideas of a roll of quarters and laundry detergent.

This may be a repeat as I have not read from the beginning of this thread but Purex now has a three in one laundry sheet that folds flat, is light and worked well for me on our last cruise. You put it in the wash and it has the soap in it and when you transfer everything into the dryer it has softener and anti static qualities.

+ Photocopy (colour) passports and visas and International Vaccine Book - I carry my originals and my wife's copies (the reverse for her). Some cruises collect your passports and you don't get them back until the end of the cruise. Having a copy of your passport on land aids in cashing traveler's cheques. Also if you loose yours, at least there is a copy available.

+ we carry a spare luggage tag (the kind Princess give away at games) and put a couple of blank cards in it. On tour days we attach the tag to our belts or packs and put our excursion sticker on one of the cards and put it into the luggage tag. Saves having them stuck on your shirt where they usually peel off in about 10 minutes.

+ Photocopy (colour) passports and visas and International Vaccine Book - I carry my originals and my wife's copies (the reverse for her). Some cruises collect your passports and you don't get them back until the end of the cruise. Having a copy of your passport on land aids in cashing traveler's cheques. Also if you loose yours, at least there is a copy available.

+ we carry a spare luggage tag (the kind Princess give away at games) and put a couple of blank cards in it. On tour days we attach the tag to our belts or packs and put our excursion sticker on one of the cards and put it into the luggage tag. Saves having them stuck on your shirt where they usually peel off in about 10 minutes.

We also copy (color scan) our passports as well as credit cards/bank cards (front and back) we're taking with us. We print out copies and take them as well as uploading encrypted copies to a secure website - that way we have access to them anywhere in the world with an internet connection. Having copies of the credit cards makes it much easier to report lost/stolen cards - keep the copies in your safe.

itouch

It has everything you need

alarm clock

flashlight

world clocks

maps

wifi to check emails

music player

video player

game player

translator

level to check if ship is tilting to one side

book reader

will store deck plans

contacts for people you meet

all in the palm of your hand

Do you get the flash light on itunes?

That has got to be the best idea I've heard yet. We slept one morning until 11:00 a.m.. Even then we woke up thinking it was about 7:00 a.m......since the inside rooms are darker than the insides of a cow :D. (love it)

If you drape a towel over the TV screen with it switched to the webcam channel it really seems like a little curtained window when dawn arrives.

Archived