Clothes question

mdvlprof

It's wonderful that he will be able to cruise !

I think the black sweats would be fine also -

especially since he is used to them and thus

comfortable.

Maybe for a splash of color - a red tie -

just loosely tied around his neck. Kind

of just hanging around his neck. But it

would kind of say: "I'm dressed up". Probably

dependent on his sense of humor and comfort level.

I've also seen a black t-shirt designed to mimic

a tuxedo. Not sure that would be warm

enough for him, however, w/o a jacket.

Sometimes dining rooms are a bit chilly.

You have probably already contacted the ship's

Special Needs Dept. You might want to

ask them to assign you a table in the dining

room with easy access - so you don't have

to try to meander through a maize of tables

and chairs. Something closer to the

entrance would be easier - from my experience.

I think pretty much whatever he's comfortable in, will be fine. I can't imagine any dining room attendant turning him away.

Do meet with the dining room staff (usually you can do this mid-afternoon on the first day) and make sure you have a table with easy access in and out of the dining room. It's a challenge to weave through the tables, and there's not much room to maneuver once you get to your table.

Thx for ideas. Already planned to see Maitre D on the first day to make sure table is accessible.

Had planned cruise last year, but had to postpone. He's looking foward to cruise. 1st one since he was sick. Used to be okay with dressing up. Wear button shirts to church, so we'll just pick up tie. Maybe even a jacket.

It's all about his comfort and enjoyment. The suggestion of black sweats with a loosely tied red tie really sounds quite fashionable for a 19 year old.

Even without being handicap, everyone has a different idea of evening attire. So you will see a full range of clothing. Don't stress over this. Enjoy!

I see you're going on Carnival. Over on the Carnival board they say there is a wide range of clothes worn on formal nights from pretty informal (sundresses, polo shirts, etc.) to very formal (tuxes and gowns). So, he'll fit in no matter what he wears. :)

I hope y'all have a BLAST!!

You might want to consider a black turtle neck silk knit pullover with black slacks. If you do go with a jacket, consider an Eaton jacket instead of a traditional tux jacket. They fit better for a man in a wheelchair.

ooo That sounds good ....

Should I wait for cruise to ask MDR staff, or should I ask John H (Carnival) for help making sure table is accessible?

Do meet with the dining room staff (usually you can do this mid-afternoon on the first day) and make sure you have a table with easy access in and out of the dining room. It's a challenge to weave through the tables, and there's not much room to maneuver once you get to your table.

Archived