Loose Medicene

djay

DW & I both take alot of medicene- prescribed & vitamins, etc. Of course all legal.

We are sailing the FoS in 2 weeks and plan to make prepared daily zip bags with the all the assorted pills. We will be away from home 12 days. This as opposed to bringing a suitcase full of medicene bottles. We will have a printed list that names all we have.

We will take them in our carry-0n bags. Will we run into problems with check-in or security?? Do we need doctor statements?

Surely with as many older cruisers- this is not something new. We just do not want to be surprised.

Thanks to all experienced cruisers for all your advise for those of us who do not cruise as often as desired.

14 days & counting. djay

Excellent question... I have always done what you are doing (no prescription bottles, etc.) and carry a list of the prescriptions. I have never had any issues although the general consensus from travel gurus is that you should carry the original prescription bottles as well. I will be interested in hearing what answers you get.

Standing by and watching... listening...

----------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

I don't know the answer to this question, but as a precaution I would keep any controlled medications in the original bottles. TSA can be especially troublesome for anything they choose and they could give you a problem with an excess amount of pills. I read a news article last year about them giving someone a hard time about carrying on a pumpkin pie (apple would have been ok). A note from your MD stating what medicines you take wouldn't hurt. I'm not saying you will have a problem, because I just don't know, but you could POTENTIALLY have a problem. I know elderly patients probably carry bag loads, but if you don't fit the stereotype of needing a lot of different pills I would be cautious. I think the cruise line wouldn't care as much.

cc

I love this message board. I posted a question & within 5 minutes had 2 answers. Thanks !!! Hobiecat- we live in mableton- right down the road from you.

We are so looking forward to this cruise. Freedom of the Seas. 2 yrs ago we cruised NCL Majesty that was the size of FoS's tender boat. 20 yrs ago cruised on Disney's 1st boat- yea it was a boat- The Big Red Boat.

Thanks again. djay

The issue really isn't TSA, it's customs and border control getting back into the USA. The only exception to this is liquid meds which must be in their original container to get around the TSA 3-1-1 rules (although I doubt you're putting liquids in baggies!)

I was just in Roatan (Honduras) Belize and Mexico and controlled drugs that are illegal to have in USA without a prescription are readily and legally on sale. Not sure what you're taking, but if there are pain killers or something if you take enough of you can get high a nosy agent could be a problem, and who really wants to defend themselves when you can just show them the bottles.

It's the old saying: expect the best but plan for the worst. Chances are you'll have no problems, having the bottles eliminates all but worst agent from giving you more than a little hassle.

Our pills are not pain type- Bloodpressure (cruising may make that go down?) , cholesterol pills, DW has same + heart & diebetes . We both takes several over the counter vitamin types. Just remembered she has a vial of insulin & needles. That would be in small box with perscription #

Some of the bottles of the OTC are big & I just hate to take so much space.

Thanks for all the answers. Taking an extra couple of days is a GOOD thought. On the list of pills- we will have out Doctor's name & phone #. maybe also our Publix Pharmacist number.

Thanks everyone- , djay

I take a very long list of prescription medication and always take an extra weeks worth, but the travel insurance companies insist you pack a supply in your suitcase and a supply in your hand luggage just incase one set is lost.

I also pack in the bags, a list of all the medication and when I take them just so that if I am taken ill and somene else has to give me my meds, they know what I have and when, and I also pack a repeat prescription form.

I have been doing this for over 35 years, and never had any trouble, i.e. at customs.

Once when we visited a relative in Canada many years ago the airline went bust and we couldnt get a flight home for over a week, so it was a good job I had packed two lots of medication.

If your health insurance controls the monthly amount of pills you receive

per renewal of prescription mention that you will be going on vacation to your pharmacist. Most plans give you an extra "allowance" for planned vacation periods. This should give you the extra medication you require.

I usually save prior months pill bottles and use these to carry medication in. Just to be safe I carry double my requirements. I split enough medication for my vacation period in 2 vials per prescription carried in 2 different locations (checked bag and carry-on). Of course I would always carry my glucose meter with me.

It would be a lousy way to ruin a vacation if you had to live outside of

your daily medicine cycle.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

We bring ours, in bottles with the prescription clearly noted.

If you put them in bags, unmarked, and you have an emergency how would you expect someone to know which pill is which? Different companies make meds differently. They may not look the same each time you pick your meds up at the pharmacy.

It isn't a big deal to take your meds in clearly marked bottles. Any emergency personnel will be able to see what you are taking and the dose that is prescribed.

I also pack in the bags, a list of all the medication and when I take them just so that if I am taken ill and somene else has to give me my meds, they know what I have and when, and I also pack a repeat prescription form.

If you get yourself a Medic Alert bracelet or medal, register your medications with them and wear your bracelet or medal you will always

be protected if this situation ever arises. It gives the health providers a

toll free number to call.

Have a great cruise.

I always pack my medication in their original boxes and bottles.

I am very lucky as I am from the United Kingdom and we have free medical treatment. I also have all my prescription medicines free as well, as I have a long term medical condition, everybody pays for medicines unless they have an exemption certificate.

I always pack my medication in their original boxes and bottles.

I am very lucky as I am from the United Kingdom and we have free medical treatment. I also have all my prescription medicines free as well, as I have a long term medical condition, everybody pays for medicines unless they have an exemption certificate.

Our daughter lived in the UK and got "free medical" care.

We had her funeral last year after she died from the "great" government care she received.:(

I take a very long list of prescription medication and always take an extra weeks worth, but the travel insurance companies insist you pack a supply in your suitcase and a supply in your hand luggage just incase one set is lost.

I have been doing this for over 35 years, and never had any trouble, i.e. at customs.

Once when we visited a relative in Canada many years ago the airline went bust and we couldnt get a flight home for over a week, so it was a good job I had packed two lots of medication.

I think this is the best advice yet! Good post, sarar!

Our daughter lived in the UK and got "free medical" care.

We had her funeral last year after she died from the "great" government care she received.:(

I also had "great government care" in the UK when I had cancer twice... and thank God... I'm almost 13 years cancer free!!!

If I had cancer while in the USA... I firmly believe I'd be dead.. as it wasn't covered by my "Great USA health Insurance"... which didn't cover pre-existing conditions!!

I'm very happy to have the NHS!!!

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread... I'm finished now!!!

Because of a heart condition my husband has taken meds on cruise ships for years without a problem. We get 90 day supplies so the bottles are huge. He puts them in a one week organizer. Now that he has had a transplant some of his meds are really important, he would have rejection without them. So he packs his organizer, and one small bottle of a weeks worth of have to have meds and I carry them with us in my purse. That way if something happened in port, or his meds went missing we have the must have ones with us. We have been on over 35 cruises and none of this has ever been questioned.

Thanks everyone for your advise. We have decided to take bottles along with our med trays. We will have to refill the trays before we return so that may be the best.

PS- I did not mean to start a political interaction. We are fortunate to have great Health Insurance that has brought us thru some unhealthy times. We still pay partiallly for perscriptions but we are blessed that we can afford the meds. Not good when this board becomes political. Opinions can cause words that need to be left to other venues.

counting the 14 days till 11/8- djay

I have a dear friend who's 38 and recently had a liver transplant. He just started traveling again and here's a quote from his latest blog:

"I have only traveled once thus far but have a few more trips up coming. If you think that going thru security is a pain now, try it with an entire Walgreens pharmacy packed in your carry on."

DW & I both take alot of medicene- prescribed & vitamins, etc. Of course all legal.

We are sailing the FoS in 2 weeks and plan to make prepared daily zip bags with the all the assorted pills. We will be away from home 12 days. This as opposed to bringing a suitcase full of medicene bottles. We will have a printed list that names all we have.

We will take them in our carry-0n bags. Will we run into problems with check-in or security?? Do we need doctor statements?

Surely with as many older cruisers- this is not something new. We just do not want to be surprised.

Thanks to all experienced cruisers for all your advise for those of us who do not cruise as often as desired.

14 days & counting. djay

This may be a little late for this solution.What I do if I knw that I am going on a cruise is save my bottles as I get refills. When the cruise comes I dispense the amount of pills that I need plus extra to allow for the unexpected. As far as vitamine I use the daily planners

Archived