Dilemma

alanmal

Need some opinions, whould you do the Chu Chi Tunnels or the Saigon Water Puppet Show? No time for both.

Thanks for any helpfull replies

Cu Chi!

Besides, the better show is suppose to be the one in the evening at the theatre.

Cu Chi!

Besides, the better show is suppose to be the one in the evening at the theatre.

if I skip the Chu Chi tunnels, I have to see an afternoon show, Vietnam Airlines has cancelled it's 6:15PM flights, and I am now on the 5:00PM flight, and I cannot make the last night show in Hanoi that night. I think the only solution is to see the tunnels and then come back to Vietnam on my way to some other place to take another cruise. One site I went to on the internet said that periodically they puppet shows do a world tour. Maybe I can catch it some place else, plus I want to see my wife fire an AK-47 at the tunnels. That is going to make one Kodak video moment.

if I skip the Chu Chi tunnels, I have to see an afternoon show, Vietnam Airlines has cancelled it's 6:15PM flights, and I am now on the 5:00PM flight, and I cannot make the last night show in Hanoi that night. I think the only solution is to see the tunnels and then come back to Vietnam on my way to some other place to take another cruise. One site I went to on the internet said that periodically they puppet shows do a world tour. Maybe I can catch it some place else, plus I want to see my wife fire an AK-47 at the tunnels. That is going to make one Kodak video moment.

Well, that was the other thing about the tunnels. I want to fire an Ak-47 time permitting. What time will you be in Saigon? The other thing you need to consider is that it is 1.5 hours each way to get there. We will be in Saigon the night before so plan to be at the Reunification Hall when it opens at 7:30am and than off to Cu Chi and there by 10:00. We should be back in Saigon by 1:30pm and than an extra hour before going back to our ship by 2:30-2:45pm for a 4:00pm departure.

You may find the same thing I am finding that there is little interest on these boards in seeing those tunnels, either too war related for some or others just don't want to be in a tunnel. To me they sound fascinating. I am going to need two more cruise trips back to Vietnam if I want to see both Hanoi and Halong Bay. You just can't do everything while cruising.

Well, that was the other thing about the tunnels. I want to fire an Ak-47 time permitting. What time will you be in Saigon? The other thing you need to consider is that it is 1.5 hours each way to get there. We will be in Saigon the night before so plan to be at the Reunification Hall when it opens at 7:30am and than off to Cu Chi and there by 10:00. We should be back in Saigon by 1:30pm and than an extra hour before going back to our ship by 2:30-2:45pm for a 4:00pm departure.

You may find the same thing I am finding that there is little interest on these boards in seeing those tunnels, either too war related for some or others just don't want to be in a tunnel. To me they sound fascinating. I am going to need two more cruise trips back to Vietnam if I want to see both Hanoi and Halong Bay. You just can't do everything while cruising.

We fly from Saigon to Hanoi that night, so we do not waste the 1.5 hours going back to ship

We have done both the tunnels and the puppet show (we saw the puppet show in the theater in Hanoi). The tunnels were much more interesting - the puppet show was cute for the first 15 minutes, but we were quickly bored.

Keep in mind, as another poster warned, it is a long ride to the tunnels - it took us about 2 hours to get back due to traffic. My husband and I found them fascinating - especially the demonstrations of the different traps.

We did all this as part of a land trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. By far and away, the most spectacular part of the trip was the overnight cruise on Halong Bay (although Angkor Wat came a close second).

This is first day of three days.

Day 1 – 8 Dec: Phu My port – CU CHI – HCMC – Hanoi

9:00 Pick-up from the pier inside the port in Vung Tau to transfer to Cu Chi tunnels.

11:30 Visit the Cu Chi tunnels – Have lunch at a local restaurant nearby.

14:00 Transfer to HCMC

15:30 Visit the ReunificationPalace

16:30 Visit the War museum – time permitting

17:00 Then visit some colonial buildings such as the Hundred Years Red Cathedral (Notre Dam Cathedral), the Central post office, driving by the former US Embassy, the City hall, Opera House, the Rex hotel, Ben Thanh market etc.

18:00 Transfer to the airport for the flight to Hanoi VN0234 20:10

22:10 Arrival in Hanoi, meet our driver (without guide) and transfer to check in a hotel (guests’ choice)

I think you are right about the water puppet show, the same thing occured in Beijing with the opera.

Archived