Looking Hard At Zuiderdam

TCF

We decided last April, after a tremendously disappointing Sea of Cortez cruise on Ryndam, that we would give HAL a pass for a while to see if they brought back some of the quality and service they have been letting slip over the past couple of years.

Well, recently we received a letter and brochure from HAL offering an incredible price saving from the website pricing on Superior and Deluxe Veranda suites on Zuiderdam, 7 day RT Vancouver to Alaska. Now, I know that rarely does anyone pay website prices....but even so....these prices are really low...low enough to make us think again about HAL!

I have read all the member reviews on Zuiderdam and they are showing pretty good....but we got the same reviews on Ryndam and it was far less than we expected.

So....any of you cruised Zuiderdam recently....what kind for shape is it in? Is it due for a refit before next summer? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

We were in an SA on the Zuiderdam last June RT out of Vancouver. The crew and service were wonderful. The Neptune Lounge staff in particular was very good. If we made reservations for anytime dining thru the concierges we always walked up and got a table right away. I can not comment on how HAL was in the past since this was our first HAL cruise but I don't think the service could be much better. This was our first anytime dining experience and the main dining room service was a tad less than on a Celebrity fixed dining but still good. I think this mainly came from not having the same wait staff each night. It wasn't important enough to us though to insure we got the same table each night. We actually liked meeting new staff and fellow passengers.

Just about every passenger we talked with was pleasant and we had many good conversations.

Having breakfast in the Pinnacle was very nice and relaxing and a great way to start the day. The room was in very good condition and very spacious with a wonderful bed. The steward even gave us a bottle of wine someone left from a previous cruise to enjoy. The steward team had to work very hard with the number of suites they had but they pulled it off.

The intinerary is very good. This was our first Alaskan cruise as well. We loved spending a few days in Vancouver prior to the cruise.

About the only thing we didn't care for on the cruise was the crowds in the Lido right after we boarded. We should have gone to the main dining room for lunch. If you can get a good deal I would jump on it.

PS - I just saw that you are from Vancouver. You have a WONDERFUL city!

We decided last April, after a tremendously disappointing Sea of Cortez cruise on Ryndam, that we would give HAL a pass for a while to see if they brought back some of the quality and service they have been letting slip over the past couple of years.

Well, recently we received a letter and brochure from HAL offering an incredible price saving from the website pricing on Superior and Deluxe Veranda suites on Zuiderdam, 7 day RT Vancouver to Alaska. Now, I know that rarely does anyone pay website prices....but even so....these prices are really low...low enough to make us think again about HAL!

I have read all the member reviews on Zuiderdam and they are showing pretty good....but we got the same reviews on Ryndam and it was far less than we expected.

So....any of you cruised Zuiderdam recently....what kind for shape is it in? Is it due for a refit before next summer? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

There is an ongoing review of the Zuiderdam right now:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1080930

Joanie

P.S. Sorry for my small outburst, I am better now. *wishes I could alter that post* :P

You're fine. Don't worry.

Why not look into a price drop? Or, if you don't already have trip insurance, cancel and rebook if you find a lower price?

Even if you don't....what a great cabin you have (and for less than a SC usually is for a week).

TCF - I'll be on Zuiderdam November 3, and will post a review after.

Ack, 5 weeks with no A/C?! They couldn't find a single person to fix it in 5 weeks? I haven't read your review, but read that forum topic. Sounds like a valid complaint to me anyway.

I hope that they resolved matters for you and that you have nothing but wonderful cruises in your future. :) -- And when you sail the Zuider, that you post a lot photos. :P

Archived