Which is the Best Beach to rent chairs/umbrellas & Bar/Restaurant on location

Ruth

Which is the Best Beach to rent chairs/umbrellas & there is Bar/Restaurant on location. We only have one day. We were going to rent a car and go site-seeing 1st part of the day and end up at a beach -Have Lunch, beers -sun and little and maybe do some snorkeling...

Any Suggestions?

• 1 month later...
we spent a portion of a day at playa porto mari. it is a beautiful cove with a ahort trail to hike that offers a great view. there is also pretty decent snorkeling from the shore as well as a beach bar, chair and umbrella rentals. it was a great beach day.

steve

This looks like a great place to visit for the day,

how easy is it to get to??

Are the Taxis available??

If you just want to stop at a beach for part of a day I think Kon Tiki would be perfect. Kon Tiki is actually the name of a beach club which occupies part of the end of Seaquarium beach area. It adjoins a couple of other "clubs" which have chairs, food and beverage along the pretty beach.

Here is link to a photo of our trip there (click here)

This looks like a great place to visit for the day,

how easy is it to get to??

Are the Taxis available??

Playa Porto Mari was a great place to spend the day. The ride there is further than Kon Tiki - maybe 1/2 hour or so. Both are nice - I think Porto Mari is a little nicer but it might be debatable.. Cabs will take you there and you need to arrange a pick-up time with the cab who takes you there. There were not waiting cabs there for general hire.

Here is a link to some photos of our trip to Playa Porto Marki - click here

To be honest we never spent the day at Kon Tiki - just stopped there for lunch on our first visit to the island - it was so pretty we wished we would have been there all day. But my overall impression is that if you want to spend the full day then I'd prefer Playa Porto Mari. If you just want to spend 1/2 day there - then Kon Tiki is very nice and it is closer. Both have full facilities. Food at Kon Tiki might have been a little fancier selection - but Porto Mari was just fine!

If you just want to stop at a beach for part of a day I think Kon Tiki would be perfect. Kon Tiki is actually the name of a beach club which occupies part of the end of Seaquarium beach area. It adjoins a couple of other "clubs" which have chairs, food and beverage along the pretty beach.

Here is link to a photo of our trip there (click here)

Playa Porto Mari was a great place to spend the day. The ride there is further than Kon Tiki - maybe 1/2 hour or so. Both are nice - I think Porto Mari is a little nicer but it might be debatable.. Cabs will take you there and you need to arrange a pick-up time with the cab who takes you there. There were not waiting cabs there for general hire.

Here is a link to some photos of our trip to Playa Porto Marki - click here

To be honest we never spent the day at Kon Tiki - just stopped there for lunch on our first visit to the island - it was so pretty we wished we would have been there all day. But my overall impression is that if you want to spend the full day then I'd prefer Playa Porto Mari. If you just want to spend 1/2 day there - then Kon Tiki is very nice and it is closer. Both have full facilities. Food at Kon Tiki might have been a little fancier selection - but Porto Mari was just fine!

Was the seabed sandy at KonTiki or would we need water shoes?

Was the seabed sandy at KonTiki or would we need water shoes?

Beleive it or not ...we didn't even get in the water there. We'd intended to just roam around downtown that day but found that there wasn't much there that interested us much. So we didn't have swimsuits with up - just decided to go there for lunch. I seem to recall it looked pretty sandy but can't recall for sure. I always keep our water shoes in our beach bag.

Another good beach is at the Blue Bay Resort. We spent a half day there in 2008 and found it very nice with a good beach, good swimming area, plenty of lounge chairs, and a lovely pool to dip in after swimming in the ocean. You can google the resort.

Thanks for the suggestion. How far is it from the ship? How much is the taxi? And how much does the resort charge? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking of doing the Dolphin Swim on our own. How far is the Aquarium from where the Eurodam (HAL) would be docked, and should we take a cab or bus there? What would the cost of the transportation be?

We are thinking of doing the Dolphin Swim on our own. How far is the Aquarium from where the Eurodam (HAL) would be docked, and should we take a cab or bus there? What would the cost of the transportation be?

On our last cruise to Curacao we did the Dolphin excursion and it was our understanding that they sell tickets first to those on cruise ships (through the shore excursion desk) and then if there are other times available they'll sell them individually to others which makes it a later in the day excursion. They also said that rarely do they have slots available and that they cruise lines normally sell out and have a waiting list. It was an expensive excursion but well worth it. We went through the cruise line and they took us by bus. It was on RCCL. It was a once in a lifetime experience for us. Great fun.

Archived