HAL Air to South America?

ponstad

Hope we can get some guidance here - we are looking at a December South America cruise on the Rotterdam - from Valpariso to Rio. We have done some investigating of airfares on several of the websites, and they look pretty high. It makes the air fare one could purchase with the cruise line seem fairly reasonable.

So - any expert advice out there? Should we purchase air fare through HAL? What are the pros and cons of booking the air fare on one of the consolidators' websites?

Thanks in advance....

We purchased HAL's air through our TA, Amex when we went through the Panama Canal. We had to go Denver to Costa Rica and then FLL to Denver. We got a decent price through HAL, and not knowing better, we booked it. I can honestly tell you, we would have been better on our own.

HAL ended up with charter flights on Miami Air out of MIA that were horrible. We had delays, lost luggage, small planes, no info. etc.

If I were to do this again - in addition to myself, I would also seriously have a qualified TA research this BEFORE deciding to book air with HAL. You may have the best luck on your own.

Just my opinion - you will hear otherwise, I'm sure (which is fine), but do yourself a favor and research it - at least you'll know you made the right decision in the end - whatever you choose to do.

We did a Valparaiso to Rio cruise last year and we booked our own air when I found we could save $1100 total doing it that way versus using HAL-arranged air. Plus, we booked a schedule and airline (AA) of our choosing. Such savings may not exist today, however.

We booked a schedule that put us in Santiago a day before embarkation in case we encountered weather/mechanical or other delays. For us, we just didn't want to be booked by HAL on a red-eye that got us to Santiago on the morning of embarkation and we wanted to choose the carrier. Our routing was from Las Vegas to Dallas-Ft. Worth-to Santiago. On the return it was Rio to Sao Paolo to DFW to LAS. Any way you cut it, it is a long flight!

Hope this helps!

We did the cruise in the opposite direction in December 03. We booked our own fare. American Airlines partners with Lan Chile and their rates were very reasonable albeit I would prefer to fly AA than Lan Chile.

HAL will not tell you in advance when or how you will fly. In fact that might have to make you fly a day earlier/later if there are no flights and you might even have to pay for the hotel room. That is what they proposed to us one president's week when we wanted to cruise out of Florida.

We booked our own air for our Rio to Valparaiso cruise on the Ryndam in 2002. I believe we saved about $400. On the AA flight from Miami to Rio and on the return flight from Santiago to Miami, many of the passengers were fellow cruisemates who had purchased HAL air.

One of the accidental advantages was that we hired a cab for the transfer from the airport to the Ryndam in Rio. It cost about $15. We arrived at the port at about 12:30 PM and were able to board almost immediately. Passengers with HAL transfers were loaded on a bus and given a brief tour of Rio and didn't arrive at the ship until about 2:30 PM. On the return trip, we purchased the HAL bus transfer from Valparaiso. We purchased this during the cruise.

We did use HAL's airfare to Rio/Santiago. Would I do it again??? Possibly not, but at the time, the price was right. (HAL was having a promotion.) We flew to Rio via Varig and from Santiago on LAN Chile. Although both are fine airlines, I really was not happy about our seating and had no control over it as it was a "bulk" ticket. :cool:

Our travel agent recommends taking the air option when you book your cruise. There is no penalty for cancelling it, and then you can look for something cheaper or more convenient meanwhile. We did this for our Alaska cruise, and it worked out great.

Beth:)

Archived