Can you get your passport stamped at each country?

bestcatch

How can I get my passport stamped at each country? I know for you seasoned travelers it's no big deal. But, this is my husband's first time out of the good-ol USA and wants some official proof.

Do you have to take it off the ship?

If you ask is there someone on the ship at each port who can stamp it?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Actually, if you give your passport to the purser prior to your first port, they will have your passport stamped at each port when the local officials come on board to clear the ship.

That is almost cool enough to get the kids a regular passport in lieu of the passport card I am considering for our cruises! Thanks for sharing! :)

I have read that the pursers can no longer do this.

Does anyone have current info?

It is up to each purser. Once someone at the pursers desk told me that they no longer do it and I came back later when someone else was working and asked and they took care of it for me. Just make sure you go when the pursers desk is not too busy.

• 5 weeks later...

We just returned from Glory's 11/14-21/09 cruise to Cozumel, Belize & Costa Maya.

Our passports were stamped by a uniformed gentleman at no charge in Belize. We walked all the way through Terminal 4 (full of touristy shops) After going outside there was a small shed type building (partly painted blue?) about 200 feet out and on the left.

In Costa Maya we paid to get stamped. Just inside the entry to the tourist shopping area, there is a shop on your right with a sign "Passports stamped for $2) We had 3 passports stamped for $5. The man was fine with our haggling-- probably could have had them done for less.

You could write to someone at CozumelInsider dot com for the address of the immigration office. We had so much fun touring the island in our rented van, we ran out of time to inquire. 2 out of 3 wasn't bad though.

Happy Sailing!

Actually, if you give your passport to the purser prior to your first port, they will have your passport stamped at each port when the local officials come on board to clear the ship.

If you do this, how can you take them with you on excursions????? Do they give them back to you when you're getting off the ship?????

We just returned from Glory's 11/14-21/09 cruise to Cozumel, Belize & Costa Maya.

Our passports were stamped by a uniformed gentleman at no charge in Belize. We walked all the way through Terminal 4 (full of touristy shops) After going outside there was a small shed type building (partly painted blue?) about 200 feet out and on the left.

In Costa Maya we paid to get stamped. Just inside the entry to the tourist shopping area, there is a shop on your right with a sign "Passports stamped for $2) We had 3 passports stamped for $5. The man was fine with our haggling-- probably could have had them done for less.

You could write to someone at CozumelInsider dot com for the address of the immigration office. We had so much fun touring the island in our rented van, we ran out of time to inquire. 2 out of 3 wasn't bad though.

Happy Sailing!

Or you could give your passports to the purser who will have them stamped at all of the ports at no charge without having to take up your valuable port time. We just had this done last week on the Carnival Valor and have stamps from Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

If you do this, how can you take them with you on excursions????? Do they give them back to you when you're getting off the ship?????

You can't. I never take my passport off the ship anyway. You don't need to. All you need is your sign and sale card and a photo ID. Some people will say you should take your passport ashore with you in the event that the ship leaves without you, but I always thought that there is a greater chance of having your passport lost, stolen or damaged while ashore than getting left behind.

You can't. I never take my passport off the ship anyway. You don't need to. All you need is your sign and sale card and a photo ID. Some people will say you should take your passport ashore with you in the event that the ship leaves without you, but I always thought that there is a greater chance of having your passport lost, stolen or damaged while ashore than getting left behind.

Okay....but what if you doooo get left behind....how could you fly to catch up to the ship????? I always thought that is why we had to get the passport.....to take into port with us?????

Okay....but what if you doooo get left behind....how could you fly to catch up to the ship????? I always thought that is why we had to get the passport.....to take into port with us?????

You do the same thing you would do if you got robbed, lost your passport or had your passport damaged, you would contact the embassy to get a replacement. It is a good idea to scan your passport and email a copy to yourself so that in the event you loose everything you will always be able to get the information.

My wife, while living in China teaching for 2 years, had her passport stolen 2 days before she was to leave. They turned the passport around in 24 hours. You would be hard pressed to get a flight sooner than that.

I'm concerned with the charge for passport stamps, since in our countries I've requested my passport to be stamped (at official, government offices), there was no charge. Was this a true souvenir stamp from a store, or was this a government shop?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off the RCL Navigator last week. I took our passports down to the purser's desk and the two crew members working acted as if they'd never had anyone request this before! One made a phone call and then told us they no longer did this. Oh Well!

I did this back in November when I was on the NCL Jewel. When I first went to the Purser's desk the staff had no idea what I was talking about so after speaking with a supervisor, they had no problem taking my passports and trying to get them stamped. They said it's up the local officials in each country we visited. I got my passport stamped in most countries. I got my passport back on the last sea day in perfect condition. I was very excited to see all those stamps!

Archived