Mexican Riviera - Oct. 17, 2009: Question from Princess Pax...

mikjr

For anyone on the NCL cruise to the Mex Riviera, I'd like to know how your cruise was affected by Hurricane Rick.

We were on the Princess Sapphire that left San Pedro when you did... we got diverted to San Fran and West coast ports.

We heard that your cruise made it through to some of the Mexican ports. Curious to know if that's true and how the hurricane affected your ship.

thanks

For anyone on the NCL cruise to the Mex Riviera, I'd like to know how your cruise was affected by Hurricane Rick.

We were on the Princess Sapphire that left San Pedro when you did... we got diverted to San Fran and West coast ports.

We heard that your cruise made it through to some of the Mexican ports. Curious to know if that's true and how the hurricane affected your ship.

thanks

Hi. I was on the Star 10/17. Following Rick on the National Hurricane Center website, I fully expected to be diverted. But, as you know, NCL stuck to their itinerary. Saturday 10/17 was nice, as you know. Sunday was not too bad, got choppy as the day progressed into night. We were scheduled to be in Cabo on Monday, but the port was cancelled. The seas were MUCH too rough to tender to Cabo. We had a slow sail past Cabo and on our extra sea day we sailed slowly toward Mazatlan. Cloudy, rough seas. Tuesday in Mazatlan was cloudy with rain on and off. Tuesday night was very rough. Seventy knot winds, the captain later told us it much worse than they expected. Wednesday it poured in PV. Standing water in the streets. Windy too, the entry canopy even blew away. The skies cleared Wednesday evening. Thursday at sea was warm and nice. Friday at sea was a bit cooler with sunny skies and calm seas.

We enjoyed the ship. Never felt endangered, but Hurricane Rick was a very powerful storm. So, I think the Captain of the Princess Sapphire made the correct choice. How was your weather on your course? Were passengers upset by the diversion?

So, I think the Captain of the Princess Sapphire made the correct choice. How was your weather on your course? Were passengers upset by the diversion?

Unfortunately, many Pax on our cruise were from So. Calif... and many from San Fran. Several were very upset, especially one man from Frisco who got off when we hit SF port and flew back down to San Pedro to get his car!

We had heard many rumors about the other ships making it to port, which added a bit more salt to the wounds.

Unfortunately, many Pax on our cruise were from So. Calif... and many from San Fran. Several were very upset, especially one man from Frisco who got off when we hit SF port and flew back down to San Pedro to get his car!

We had heard many rumors about the other ships making it to port, which added a bit more salt to the wounds.

Yes, we made it to two of the three Mexican ports. Both were cloudy, windy, rainy, so I spent little time ashore. Many shore excursions were canceled at PV (snorkeling, scuba, pirate ships, catamaran trips....) I think the bus tours went off into the rain, but it didn't look like fun.

I thought the California passengers would be disappointed by the diversion, but I'd have traded places in a heartbeat. I thought about possible hurricane season diversions before I booked. I learned several years ago about diversions due to storms, so I wouldn't book a hurricane season cruise unless I was OK with a diversion.

Hmm, didn't the guy you got off the ship in Frisco violate the PVSA? I wonder if he will end up with a fine?

Hmm, didn't the guy you got off the ship in Frisco violate the PVSA? I wonder if he will end up with a fine?

There were actually several that got off both in San Fran and San Diego.

I spoke with two guys that were leaving in San Diego... I asked that same question about the Jones Act... he said they had a long discussion with Princess management, and they won! Not sure what that meant, but they left the cruise before Ensenada.

Several Pax talked about stopping payment through their credit card agents... I don't think that's going to fly either

There were actually several that got off both in San Fran and San Diego.

I spoke with two guys that were leaving in San Diego... I asked that same question about the Jones Act... he said they had a long discussion with Princess management, and they won! Not sure what that meant, but they left the cruise before Ensenada.

Several Pax talked about stopping payment through their credit card agents... I don't think that's going to fly either

Wish we could have switched places with them. Flirting with Hurricane Rick in Mexico was not good.

I was on the star 17-24, knowing what I know now, I would have rather had good weather, with SF, SD and Ensenada, realizing Im from central cal, have seen both SF and SD many times, and been on two other cruises to Ensenada. BUT, Im not sure I would have been happy at the time, and can understand the feelings of some of the pax. Both Puerto and Mazatlan were rather miserable as far as weather goes, and did away with any hopes of beach play for most. We did van tours both days privately booked, and saw alot but the rain constantly kept at us. A dry trip to the SD zoo, or a day of bart and muni with reasonable weather, sounds like a no brainer in hindsight.

I wonder though, it was reported in the news the mariner of the seas was to reverse the iten, doing puerto, then mazatlan then cabo. However we saw the mariner in port wednesday when the star was there, it also didnt appear to be leaving very soon, rumor on the boat from a neighboring balcony was they were staying in port due to the weather?? Also a local had told us he didnt think we were going to be able to leave as the port was closed? Overall though the port was relatively calm on our exit though.

I was also on the Star and quite honestly would have preferred that we diverted as the Sapphire did. Even though we have been to the ports the Sapphire visited (East coasters here), they would have been much more enjoyable than the wind and rain soaked Mexican Riviera ports. Even though the captain did his best to avoid the brunt of the storm, it was massive in size and did catch up with us as a tropical storm between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. 70 kt winds = unpleasant! I realize that the folks on board from CA would have been unhappy as well if we diverted but at least we could have enjoyed the ports. All I got to see of Puerto Vallarta was the Walmart across the street because it was raining so hard and got soaked just crossing the street (flooded as well)! I know it's a difficult call for a captain, but I feel it was the wrong call especially when the storm unexpectedly entered the coast further south than anticipated and putting us in potential harms way.

I was also on the Star and quite honestly would have preferred that we diverted as the Sapphire did. Even though we have been to the ports the Sapphire visited (East coasters here), they would have been much more enjoyable than the wind and rain soaked Mexican Riviera ports. Even though the captain did his best to avoid the brunt of the storm, it was massive in size and did catch up with us as a tropical storm between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. 70 kt winds = unpleasant! I realize that the folks on board from CA would have been unhappy as well if we diverted but at least we could have enjoyed the ports. All I got to see of Puerto Vallarta was the Walmart across the street because it was raining so hard and got soaked just crossing the street (flooded as well)! I know it's a difficult call for a captain, but I feel it was the wrong call especially when the storm unexpectedly entered the coast further south than anticipated and putting us in potential harms way.

I agree with your assessment of the weather and ports, but I do not think Rick's course was quite so unexpected. I was following the National hurricane center's projection for Rick. IIRC, he stayed close to or within the cone of projected probable course. Granted, he turned toward the southern end of the projection as he progressed, but this amateur was impressed by the National Hurricane Center's work. I arrived at the pier fully expecting to divert and fully at peace with the idea. I was surprised NCL never diverted. Cudos to the Sapphire's Captain judgement; he served his ship well in MHO.

I agree with your assessment of the weather and ports, but I do not think Rick's course was quite so unexpected. I was following the National hurricane center's projection for Rick. IIRC, he stayed close to or within the cone of projected probable course. Granted, he turned toward the southern end of the projection as he progressed, but this amateur was impressed by the National Hurricane Center's work. I arrived at the pier fully expecting to divert and fully at peace with the idea. I was surprised NCL never diverted. Cudos to the Sapphire's Captain judgement; he served his ship well in MHO.

I too followed the progression of the storm beginning the Monday before sailing on various websites (NOAA, Passage Weather, Wunderground) and also expected to be handed a piece of paper with out new itinerary upon check-in. While chatting with a restaurant owner in Mazatlan, he mentioned that the brunt Rick was expected to reach the coast some 4 hours north of Mazatlan that night. Upon departure from Mazatlan the captain only mentioned that it might get a little bumpy... or not. He later said that winds that night were expected to be no more than 30 kts so he was caught by surprise as well by the 70 kt winds. I think I've learned my lesson about cruising in Oct. during hurricane season. Got caught up last Oct. in a bad storm on a Canada/New England cruise with 18 ft. waves for 48 hours. I know it's a crap shoot but after 23 cruises, I think I'll stick with the seasons of the year with better odds! ;-)

I was on the Star and our family had a great time, though we had hoped for better weather. I think I would have preferred to have them switch the ports around a bit, it seems if they planned ahead enough we could have made it to Mazatlan on Monday, PV on Tuesday, then hit Cabo on the way back. I doubt it's easy to do this with the ports, but I know my family would not have been as happy with going to SF since we live here.

It would also have caused havoc with shore excursions, but we had havoc as it was.

We did zip lining in both ports, Mazatlan at a hotel (cloudy day) and PV in the Jungle across a river. We ended up in a downpour in PV, but it was warm and we were having fun so it didn't take much away. Actually probably added to the adventure.

I was on the Star and our family had a great time, though we had hoped for better weather. I think I would have preferred to have them switch the ports around a bit, it seems if they planned ahead enough we could have made it to Mazatlan on Monday, PV on Tuesday, then hit Cabo on the way back. I doubt it's easy to do this with the ports, but I know my family would not have been as happy with going to SF since we live here.

It would also have caused havoc with shore excursions, but we had havoc as it was.

We did zip lining in both ports, Mazatlan at a hotel (cloudy day) and PV in the Jungle across a river. We ended up in a downpour in PV, but it was warm and we were having fun so it didn't take much away. Actually probably added to the adventure.

Even if NCL had tried, I don't think we could have made Mazatlan at a decent time on Monday; just too many more miles. I guess if we were lucky we might have made it by 7 or 8 pm Monday. I doubt the port wanted us at that time of day. And the weather still would have been poor.

I'm glad your clan had fun despite the rain. We enjoyed the ship and spent very little time or money ashore in Mexico. In decent weather, I'd hve spent more time and money stimulating your California economy:). Couldn't the economy out there use it?

I too followed the progression of the storm beginning the Monday before sailing on various websites (NOAA, Passage Weather, Wunderground) and also expected to be handed a piece of paper with out new itinerary upon check-in. While chatting with a restaurant owner in Mazatlan, he mentioned that the brunt Rick was expected to reach the coast some 4 hours north of Mazatlan that night. Upon departure from Mazatlan the captain only mentioned that it might get a little bumpy... or not. He later said that winds that night were expected to be no more than 30 kts so he was caught by surprise as well by the 70 kt winds. I think I've learned my lesson about cruising in Oct. during hurricane season. Got caught up last Oct. in a bad storm on a Canada/New England cruise with 18 ft. waves for 48 hours. I know it's a crap shoot but after 23 cruises, I think I'll stick with the seasons of the year with better odds! ;-)

I think your restaurant owner was ill-informed or oblivious. I was on the web while we in Mazatlan. From the Natl Hurricane Center website that day, I was not terribly surprised that we had a very rough night. Rick was weakening, but he was headed toward Mazatlan.

I agree the ships that changed iten were doing a service to their passengers. I was under the impression that it would be difficult to impossible to switch ports, however other ships were able to switch and obviously the hurricane/trop storm was going to impact the scheduled ports significantly, seems like a simple decision, and in hindsight Im disspointed a better decision wasnt made. There were many sick from the motion, which reminded me of my days out fishing in 30ft boats it was so rough. My family avoided any major inconvenience but the seas beat you up after a day or two that rough, and the rain in puerto especially was very difficult to work around, so much so that views from our small passenger van tour was similar to being in a drive through car wash. We still managed to have a blast, but we probly would had as much fun just sitting onboard just outside san pedro all the same really.

I was on the Sun that left for an 11 day cruise on Oct 12th. Our last port was Cabo San Lucas on Oct 20th and the captain said the seas were too rough and the port was closed to ships. Our last sea day Oct 22 was very rough during the evening. I was glad we were able to make our other four ports and never encountered a hurricane before in all of my cruises!

So sorry to hear about the Star experiences and the Sapphire itinerary change. Our experience on the Splendor (departing Long Beach on 10/18) was very different. We were able to go to Mexico - swapping Mazatlan for Ensenada and moving our Puerto Vallarta stop back one day to Thursday. We had beautiful weather in every port and all of our sea days and never encountered rain or excessive wind. I believe the seas were a bit rougher and increased our motion to some degree - but we never got close to Hurricane Rick.

The important thing is that all ships avoided danger and had safe cruises. Hopefully you've all earned a truly fantastic cruise the next time around.

Archived