RCI Ench. of the Seas > problems

drchica, we might have been neighbors, Jefferson was our steward too. The stabilize thing was not a rumor, Capt said the Starboard Stabilizer was not working for the first 2 days.

For those of you who had not cruised before this one and are thinkging "this might not be for us" or "whats the big deal" at least try One other cruise...(different ship or different line) IMO, and in my experience this was NOT typical of Cruising. To us this was a very unusual cruise experience.

~Now , Im not generally a complainer, for those of you who 'know' me from these boards, you know that.~

But, In the buffett, you were hard pressed to find a Clean Glass or Coffee Cup. I had to go thru 4/6 cups/glasses Everytime I got something to drink. One glass had MOLD inside! When I handed it to a crewmember, and said "this glass is moldy" he just took it and said "ok" -- thats it??!! "ok?!" there was food particals stuck inside glasses/cups, I noticed by the end of the cruise almost everyone was 'inspecting' glasses befor filling them. Same problem with silverware, not as bad, but in the MDR I had a filthy knife, food stuck on it...I had to hand it to the waiter, he just said 'appoligize' and brought me another one. eewwwwww! It was just a lot of things that were 'not quite right' on this cruise that made it seem not up to Par.

Several years ago (I think it was Serenade OTS) I unwrapped my napkin in The Windjammer and found a fork with food stuck to it. I showed it to an attendant - he went and got the Windjammer manager who profusely apologized, offered to get me anything he could - I think I saw him several more times during the cruise and each time he apologized again and asked if I needed anything. This is the type of service I've found on my 5 RCCL cruises. I have no doubt what you say is 100% true, but again, people can hopefully realize this is an exception to the usual service, and my guess would be that the Windjammer manager may be looking for a new job soon.

Several years ago (I think it was Serenade OTS) I unwrapped my napkin in The Windjammer and found a fork with food stuck to it. I showed it to an attendant - he went and got the Windjammer manager who profusely apologized, offered to get me anything he could - I think I saw him several more times during the cruise and each time he apologized again and asked if I needed anything. This is the type of service I've found on my 5 RCCL cruises. I have no doubt what you say is 100% true, but again, people can hopefully realize this is an exception to the usual service, and my guess would be that the Windjammer manager may be looking for a new job soon.

Of Coruse! And what you discribe is the kind of service/hospitiality I have Always experienced on other cruises. That was NOT our experience on this cruise. Thats what surprised me so. And Im not talking 'just one crew member' or just one isolated thing. Im talking over and over on this cruise things were 'just not the same' as other cruises. We were chatting with one of the bartenders, who was really personable. and he said that they had gotten a new captian 'lately' (use of words being what they are, I was not sure how long ago 'lately' was, but I guessed it meant at least in the past few months?) He said, the other capt 'every one is happy happy' but, it was 'little different now'. I wondered if that had something to do with the 'little differences' that I noticed in service.

Now, I am not 'complaining' to get compensation or anything, I was just pointing out that the concerns that were voiced were valid and that it was noticed that this was not as friendly of crew as I have encountered in All my other cruises.

We (always) have other cruises booked and as always we dont expect any 'problems' but I was surprised at the lack of service, friendliness, hospiality on this one.

I did want to mention, the 'dirty dishes' thing, was not 'just one knife' or one glass. It was a problem. Serioulsy you would go thru 5-6 glasses or cups to get a clean one. Even when they came around with the beverage cart, I (and others I saw) would have to hand back the glass because of 'things' in it. (I should say, I drink water, so if someone was drinking tea or juice, they might not notice as much--ick)

~~Something else....they offered 'Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice' at the door of the Windjammer- for a fee (between $3 and $5 depending on the size glass) they had a machine set up that squeezed the OJ right in front of you...I must say--- It was the BEST OJ I have ever had, we got the large everyday (sometimes I got 2! )and to this minute, I wish I had some of it... The 'usual' gal who was at the machine, would see me coming and say 'hi miss kandy, you want large today?' ~~Yummy~~

Tabbymom, I agree with you. I am going on my first cruise on EOS on Nov 9, and reading this post has me concerned. I won't be cancelling this get away for DH & me, but it makes me a little concerned. How can we find out from RC if these issues have been fixed??:confused:

Tabbymom, I agree with you. I am going on my first cruise on EOS on Nov 9, and reading this post has me concerned. I won't be cancelling this get away for DH & me, but it makes me a little concerned. How can we find out from RC if these issues have been fixed??:confused:

I wouldn't worry about it that much. (Go on Vacation and have FUN!) For the most part we had fun.

To be honest RCI isn't going to tell you that all problems aren't fixed I would highly doubt a company that wont give us a fan would openly admit problems on the ship your about to sail on.

I want to think it was a one time thing...and many more happy sailings are in my future.

After analyzing all the posts it sounds like there were some repair parts that were only available in port so I'm going to believe that everything was fixed and stop worrying.

I'm not concerned about the dirty dishes because it sounds like my kitchen :rolleyes:. But I would be concerned about no AC and being awash outside of the pool deck.

But MrsCS - if we're wrong - leave me a note since we're boarding right after you disembark :p.

Several years ago you also spent more money to cruise. With the cheap cheap cheap prices these days something is going to have to give...

###

She is to go into drydock April 28 I understand from one of the staff.........

Does anyone know this for sure? If so how long does a ship stay in drydock for? I'm suppose to sail on her on May 20, 2010.

If they do decide to put her in drydock what happens to my cruise that I've already booked for May 20, 2010?

They are selling cruises in April up until the 19th and then the next cruise leaves May 1. So I'm guessing they'll do the drydock sometime in between. They also have to repo her from Panama to Norfolk. Doesn't look like they are selling a repo cruise so the drydock must be what's going on instead. So it looks like it will be finished in plenty of time. I think they only put a ship in drydock for a week or so. Given it had the major refurbishment already I'm guessing this will be less extensive. Maybe install a new rubber band for the propella or change the baking soda in the fridge.

Several years ago you also spent more money to cruise. With the cheap cheap cheap prices these days something is going to have to give...

###

Actually, I haven't seen any great price increases for comparable ships (yes, Oasis is more expensive, but its new, and look at what it offers). RCCL, like all cruise lines, is cutting back where they can, but to suggest cleaning plates/glasses is a cutback problem is stretching it - they'd be closed down by Health Depts immediately if that were the case. My bet: as I said before - Windjammer manager will mos tlikely be gone, new staff members will correct any problems. Hopefully some soon-to-be cruisers can give a report after their cruise.

From what I'm hearing from RCI were supposed to be getting $190 off our next cruise per person.

How does this work, anybody done this before?

Dilemmas...were wanting to start a family soon...........

When to use it...if we use it...does it expire...?

It usually does come with limitations depending upon the offer. They usually give you a year from the date of issue to travel. Sometimes they'll limit the # of days to the same # of days as the cruise you took (but that isn't always the case). You may want to contact their customer service dept. to get more information.

computerguytl - How did you make out? We too were on this cruise and were in one of the rooms with no air conditioning. I have sent RCCL a letter and am waiting for a response.

I wondered the same thing.

Whats this about the $190pp off? Where did this come from?

She is to go into drydock April 28 I understand from one of the staff.........

Does anyone know this for sure? If so how long does a ship stay in drydock for? I'm suppose to sail on her on May 20, 2010.

If they do decide to put her in drydock what happens to my cruise that I've already booked for May 20, 2010?

I am no expert for when a ship goes in or out of drydock but a little detective work is all it takes sometimes to figure it out. The RCCL website shows Enchantment will leave Colon Panama on April 11 and head for a Ft Lauderdale arrival date of April 18th. It does not show any trips until May 1 which is a total of two weeks which is typically all it takes for a dry dock activity. Unless major problems develop your May 20 trip should be fine.

Mike

Not to Cruisepup, sorry I didnt see your reply before I sent mine.... nice picture, we must have had the same Steward! LOL

1. Parrotthead is a very good-natured, laid-back cruiser (known her for years via CC), if she says something was bad, then it was BAD!.:eek:

2. I am not such a good-natured nor laid-back cruiser, and if I found myself stuck on a boat with no air, I'd be sleeping on my balcony and demanding a refund.;)

This situation sounds terribly awful, no question about it.:mad:

We too had a similar experience on our June cruise upon the Enchantment of the Seas, but we'll sail again - perhaps not on an older ship. I'd recommend contacting post-cruise Guest Relations and they will most likely make it up to you with a onboard ship credit on your cruise. don't let this trip stop you from enjoying RCI again. We were in the Royal Suite and there really wasn't an option to move us anywhere that would accommodate a large party, but they made it up to us with a couple of bottles of wine.

Well we got our letter in the mail from RCI.

Apologizing for the mishaps during our cruise.

They gave us half off our cruise purchase price in cruise credits.

It doesn't help me much as we can't afford airfare to get to a RCI port.

So once again they still have $$ in their pocket if we go or don't go.

For us it ended up being $190 per person off our next cruise.

Non transferable :(

We only have a year to use them.

It's just bad timing as we will be attempting to start a family soon.

Give you a laugh, one of my buddies that went with us had the same problem and when they told him about the credits...he said "Can we use these on Carnival b/c were not going on RCI again" I started dieing laughing!!

We recieved the same letter yesterday. We have a cruise booked three days after the certificates expire. I wonder if they will let me apply them to that cruise.

I would for sure be calling them and finding it out.

Did you have this cruise booked before or after your EOS cruise?

Well we got our letter in the mail from RCI.

Apologizing for the mishaps during our cruise.

They gave us half off our cruise purchase price in cruise credits.

It doesn't help me much as we can't afford airfare to get to a RCI port.

So once again they still have $$ in their pocket if we go or don't go.

For us it ended up being $190 per person off our next cruise.

Non transferable :(

We only have a year to use them.

It's just bad timing as we will be attempting to start a family soon.

Give you a laugh, one of my buddies that went with us had the same problem and when they told him about the credits...he said "Can we use these on Carnival b/c were not going on RCI again" I started dieing laughing!!

We recieved the same letter yesterday. We have a cruise booked three days after the certificates expire. I wonder if they will let me apply them to that cruise.

Frankly if it was me without A/C for the cruise, I would be asking them to comp. the cabin, or I would probably dispute it on my CC. They need a little PR repair and I believe that would be the beginning of it, not just half off. I am not one to expect free things given to me when things don't go the way I like, but no A/C is a different story and I would think they would want a passenger to go away happy when it was their major issue to begin with.

Archived