CHEAP SHIPS!! Not Fares or Service! Cheap Ships???

woodofpine

In anticipation of a first MSC cruise, I'm doing my homework... I'm noting the many new builds (as we'll be taking one) listed on websites focusing on ship construction, but something struck me. The 'ship cost' cited at these web sites for various lines ships under construction is one HALF or even a THIRD for MSC as compared to comparable sized ships of its large counterparts (Carnival Corp. and RCI lines); how can that be?? It definately stands out.

The Musica class MSC ships seem to be 'listed' at $250M cost whereas competitor ships of the same size (80-90KGT) are costed at twice that or more ($500-700M). These ships are all built at competing comparable shipyards in Europe. Whatever the complaints are about MSC among passengers, the design and opulence of the ship's public space isn't one of them. What gives? MSC's ships do have engines don't they?:D Lifeboats?:eek:

Could this have something to do with registry, EU taxation, subsidies...?? I'm curious because I can't think of anything that would account for THAT GREAT a disparity in cost (nothing that MSC's competitors couldn't/wouldn't be able to avail themselves of also).

Anyone with industry insights into this statistical anomoly?

Well, looking at both MSC and Carnival. The main difference that I see is that Carnival "Decorates" much more. The interiors of the public spaces all seem to be over the top. (Joe Farcus designs) Whereas MSC may feel that simple design works just as well. I have not been overwhelmed with "Art" on MSC (although it is there) like I have on Carnival.

Also MSC used to produce the ships so that all rooms were the exact same size. And to a certain extent they still do. For example an oceanview on Poesia is 185 sq ft. a Balcony is 167sq ft with about an 18 sq ft Balcony. If all the cabins are the same size it makes the layout cheaper. You can just stack the cabins like boxes. On the other lines, you may find that the inside cabins are 170 sq ft, the oceanviews are 187, and the balconies are 195. that means that the cabins are built in to the ship rather than placed later. That would increase the costs dramatically.

So MSC may actually be saving the money by using money saving techniques.

Where did you get your measurements?

A standard balcony on MSC Poesia is: 161 sq ft interior space and 38 sq ft balcony.

The superior balcony is: 191 sq ft interior space and a 43 sq ft balcony.

I do not see what you are saying to make this cheaper than other lines...they all have standard sizing too for each category.

And they have beautiful granite and marble statues, real wood, brass, and artwork.

I don't think you can compare costs. One company may have quoted all capitalized costs (ie engineering, even some finance costs), another just the build. Unless you do a line by line analysis you're probably looking at apples to oranges.

I think you're probably looking in the right direction. I was thinking the modular cabin and interior decorating could be a separate company (probably is). Depending on how you contracted that work (directly or as sub paid by the shipyard) it could explain the difference. $250 for the rough hull and propulsion/drive-train + $250M for cabins and build out of interior space. It looks anomolous on cost lists for new builds though.

To compare, a new-build European ferry (currently under construction) costs 110 milion Euros. Which is not very much more than a hull, some basic passengerdecks and lots of basic cabins. Length: 240 metres

If your cruise vessel was like that, you wouldn't even want to see the ship again. But this is the basic, so when you add a lot of things in advance, like more passenger decks with more facilities and for example a pool, costs are much higher. So I think it can't be the Musica is bought for 'only' 250 milion. The Lirica (1000 passengers less) costed a 250 milion already in 2003 so some inflation later...

And watch the diffrence between Euros and Dollars, you probably didn't made the mistake, but maybe your source.

But, even if MSC has 'cheap' ships, what would be the problem, most people don't have comments on that, so it can't be that bad. I was on the Lirica and... there was just nothing to complain about. Maybe MSC just doesn't invest as much as others do in research. They may just wait till someone else invented it, which is much cheaper so thay can keep prices low.

I think your source may be mistaken. The reported price for the MSC Magnifica is $548 million, same price as for Costa Luminosa, roughly the same size too at 92K gross tons. Other ships in this size range come in at comparable costs. MSC's price per cabin seems to be about 10-20% less than other non-luxury ships though...I am sure because MSC packs in more cabins per space than others. But their finishes are not really any cheaper or cheaper-looking.

Archived