Mount Gay Distillery on a Weekend

emeraldcitycruiser

We will be in Barbados on a Saturday in December. Celebrity is offering a shore excursion that day that, according to Celebrity's description, features a tour of Mount Gay as well as Banks Brewery. We were debating between Celebrity's shore excursion and just visiting Mount Gay on our own.

I called Mount Gay and was informed that the distillery is closed on weekends and there are no tours available on the weekends. I then called Celebrity's shore excursions department and the representative told me that, despite what the rep. at Mount Gay told me, the shore excursion WILL feature a 45-minute tour of Mount Gay and a 45-minute tour of Banks Brewery.

Has anyone visited Mount Gay on a weekend through a shore excursion or on your own? I am trying to confirm whether weekend tours of Mount Gay are indeed possible.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

To the best of my knowledge Banks, Mt. Gay and Malibu visitor centers are closed on the weekends. I think Foursquare Rum is the only tour one can do independently on the weekends.

The cruise lines must have struck a deal to allow weekend tours for their passengers. It sounds like it would be the only way to see the Banks/Malibu/Mt.Gay on a Saturday or Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

Emeraldcity Cruiser,

Did you end up taking this tour with Celebrity? I too am thinking of booking this one and was also curious that Mt Gay is officially closed to the public on a Saturday.

If you went, is it an excursion you would recommend.

Thank you.

Gareth

I was just there last week on Grand princess. We took a taxi to Mt Gay which isn't too far from the port. We ended up walking back for some exercise. Anyways, the factory part is shut down on the weekends but the visitor center is open. We took the weekend tour which excludes the factory. The tour guide gave a brief history and then showed us a video. We then tasted a few of the rums. It only was 5 dollars US at the facility. The ship will probably cost alot more. If you want to buy any rum it will be cheaper at the duty free by a few dollars other than the 1703 variety is available only at Mt Gay. I believe it was 85. Taxi drivers are everywhere and you can barter them down fairly easily. 3 dollars per person to the distillery.

Archived