Ryndam to Belize, Santo Tomas, Costa Maya...just returned. By all means, GO!

I told a thread-er that I would review Ryndam October 18, so I'll take a deep breath and shove off:

This itinerary appealed to me because I hadn't been to Santo Tomas and because I could afford it! Everyone who reads these boards knows the passenger "landscape" on Holland America, so I'll skip that, although there were more "youngsters"--to me that means people under 60--than I had seen before. My 28 year old grandson, whom I kidnapped to come along with me, met enough people his age to keep him company until the wee hours on board, as well as on shore excursions. On we sail...

Key West is Key West! Mess around on your own or take a trolley to see the sights.

Belize: Many passengers choose the Cave Tubing experience for their first excursion and rave about it. At my age, I settled for Altun Ha ruins. That was years ago when we docked at the tiny port in town. I'll never forget the sign on a small, white two story building that read, "Belize Yacht Club...Members and Non-members only."

There are taxis outside the port. Perhaps you can meet up with a group of four or so, and bargain for a day trip after you've read about the excursions that are offered on line. If you can find "Ramon", he's a fine driver and wonderful guide--and reasonable. He'll take you through Belize City which is nothing to write home about but you've come to see Belize City and here it is right before your eyes! Some folks make it a point to stop at the pharmacy! Then off to the destination you've chosen. Gifts are cheaper alongside the streets outside the port.

In Santo Tomas, the Livingston/Rio Dulce boat trip with "Go with Gus" is a very special experience. (Gustavo@Turcios.com) $69.

When you disembark go directly to the long "shed" and you'll readily find his people. Gus is an extraordinary guy--patient and knowledgable, speaks English...he once lived in New York. He includes "extras": plates of luscious local fruits, bottled water, a full lunch, a walking tour through Livingston, a stop at HOT hot springs so bring your swim suit. And most exciting, a visit with locals at the school in the jungle. If you do go up the river, please carry toys for the kids...clothing if you like...school supplies. It's a thrill to see the kids' faces light up with a smile, and certainly a thrill for the kids! The children seem happy, know no other life and are still timid but that will pass when the Rio Dulce is afloat with launches filled with tourists dropping by every day. (The kids are isolated in small river settlements along the river so must paddle to school in their dugout canoes.)

The banks of the wide Rio Dulce reach to steep cliffs, then rolling green jungle as far as you can see. I've travelled much of the world and this is one of the few places that I want to see again--before it's spoiled by tourists like me who want to see it again!

You'll have some time before and after the trip so you mustn't pass up the shops in the same (only) building as the tour guides--the stalls are behind the tourist desk. Don't leave Santo Tomas without a Guatemalan souvenier or wall hanging or flute or T shirt or blanket or....

Whatever you do, DO NOT be relaxing by the pool while in this port! Soak up the ambiance before Diamonds International and 10,000 other cruisers jam the dock and totally obscure the culture that makes it what it is...fascinating.

In Costa Maya, have no fear. Go through the wide opening to the taxi stand for the $3 ride to Majahual. $2 return. (I met one woman on the ship who remained in the boring shopping mall because "I was afraid to go through the "alley" to the taxi stand!) Find Leon near the end of the boardwalk (the malacon) if you want to snorkel. Offer him $15 for the boat ride out to the popular site. After your good soak in the sea, indulge in a 50 minute message for $20. THEN it's time to relax on a lounge with a tall drink.

Or go the "ruins" route to Chaccoben. Not a wide range of "things to do" in Costa Maya but at least you're in a foreign country.

MCM

Liz

Archived