Quebec city itinerary -- help, please!

We are spending pre-cruise days in both Quebec City and Montreal, where we will board the Crystal Symphony. Here is what the plan looks like so far:

Saturday, September 25, 2010 -- arrive Quebec City

Sunday, September 26, 2010 -- Quebec City

Monday, September 27, 2010 -- Quebec City until mid-day when we will drive to Montreal

Tuesday, September 28 & Wednesday, September 29, 2010 -- Montreal

Thursday, September 30 -- Montreal + board the ship and overnight in Montreal

Friday, October 1 -- Montreal, depart 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, October 2, 2010 -- Quebec City 8 a.m. to midnight

Therefore, we have 1-1/2 days in Quebec City pre-cruise, and one 16-hour day in Quebec City on the cruise. This is where I need help. (Don't worry about Montreal -- you've already helped me with that! Thanks!)

I thought that we would begin our first full day pre-cruise (Sunday, September 26) with a walk around the Upper and Lower Town. I expect that we will not begin our adventure until mid-morning because we will be arriving from California the day before and will likely suffer some jet lag.

Questions: Is this doable in one day? What are the "must sees?" I have been reading my Frommers and Foders guide books, but I always seem to get the best suggestions from cruisecritic members! Is the Citadelle a "must see?" Is there a way to fit in the Citadelle on this day? I expect that I will want to again spend time in the Old City when we return to Quebec City on the cruise. I think that's why I'm having such a hard time figuring out what to do on Sunday, September 26. I really appreciate your advice.

On Monday, September 27, I thought that we could drive in the morning to Montmorency Falls before we continue on to Montreal. I realize that they are in opposite directions, but it looks like the Falls are just outside of Quebec City and would not take long to get there.

Questions: Does this make sense? Are the Montmorency Falls so fabulous that we should not miss them, or are we better off spending the morning in Quebec City? If so, what do you recommend we do? Is the Citadelle something we should visit that morning instead of the Falls?

Then, on Saturday, October 2, we will be in Quebec City again with the ship from 8 a.m. to midnight.

Questions: Is this a good time to visit the Citadelle? Should we even visit the Citadelle, or should we visit one of the parks instead? How about museums? I know that from what I have heard about Quebec City, we will want to spend lots of time wandering the cobblestone streets of the Old City and not be locked in too tightly to an itinerary. I definitely want to wander! However, I don't want to miss something that I absolutely "must see." As you suggest what I should do each day, please advise me on how long I should expect to spend doing each thing.

Please help me organize my 2-1/2 days so they can be the best possible! Thank you so much for the help.

Shelley:)

We are spending pre-cruise days in both Quebec City and Montreal, where we will board the Crystal Symphony. Here is what the plan looks like so far:

Saturday, September 25, 2010 -- arrive Quebec City

Sunday, September 26, 2010 -- Quebec City

Monday, September 27, 2010 -- Quebec City until mid-day when we will drive to Montreal

Tuesday, September 28 & Wednesday, September 29, 2010 -- Montreal

Thursday, September 30 -- Montreal + board the ship and overnight in Montreal

Friday, October 1 -- Montreal, depart 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, October 2, 2010 -- Quebec City 8 a.m. to midnight

Therefore, we have 1-1/2 days in Quebec City pre-cruise, and one 16-hour day in Quebec City on the cruise. This is where I need help. (Don't worry about Montreal -- you've already helped me with that! Thanks!)

I thought that we would begin our first full day pre-cruise (Sunday, September 26) with a walk around the Upper and Lower Town. I expect that we will not begin our adventure until mid-morning because we will be arriving from California the day before and will likely suffer some jet lag.

Questions: Is this doable in one day? What are the "must sees?" I have been reading my Frommers and Foders guide books, but I always seem to get the best suggestions from cruisecritic members! Is the Citadelle a "must see?" Is there a way to fit in the Citadelle on this day? I expect that I will want to again spend time in the Old City when we return to Quebec City on the cruise. I think that's why I'm having such a hard time figuring out what to do on Sunday, September 26. I really appreciate your advice.

On Monday, September 27, I thought that we could drive in the morning to Montmorency Falls before we continue on to Montreal. I realize that they are in opposite directions, but it looks like the Falls are just outside of Quebec City and would not take long to get there.

Questions: Does this make sense? Are the Montmorency Falls so fabulous that we should not miss them, or are we better off spending the morning in Quebec City? If so, what do you recommend we do? Is the Citadelle something we should visit that morning instead of the Falls?

Then, on Saturday, October 2, we will be in Quebec City again with the ship from 8 a.m. to midnight.

Questions: Is this a good time to visit the Citadelle? Should we even visit the Citadelle, or should we visit one of the parks instead? How about museums? I know that from what I have heard about Quebec City, we will want to spend lots of time wandering the cobblestone streets of the Old City and not be locked in too tightly to an itinerary. I definitely want to wander! However, I don't want to miss something that I absolutely "must see." As you suggest what I should do each day, please advise me on how long I should expect to spend doing each thing.

Please help me organize my 2-1/2 days so they can be the best possible! Thank you so much for the help.

I've only been to Quebec once, but we spent several days in the area. So, I'll give you what I know. We had flown to Burlington, rented a car; and, then drove to Montreal for two days, followed by a total of four days in/around Quebec City. We actually stayed all four nights at two different B&Bs on Ille d'Orleans. The island is just outside of Quebec in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. You drive right past Montmorency Falls on the only bridge to the island, which is about 10 to 15 minutes from downtown Quebec.

As far as how much time I would recommend, I think that you could spent two to three hours at the falls, depending upon how much hiking you want to do.

The Citadel is very much worth visiting. You will probably want to spend two or three hours there. It's at the top of the hill above the old city. If you're decent walkers, just park the car in one of the underground structures that are in the area. Frankly, we had a problem finding our car in that there are at least two underground structures, all the signs are in French (or course), and each level as well as each structure looks pretty much alike. We spent about 1/2 hour scouring one structure, not finding the car, before we gave up and went outside. We eventually found the car in the "other" structure. Then, getting out requires using either local currency or credit card at one of the automated exit booths. We used a credit card, which worked fine, but we couldn't read the signs, making for some tense moments.

The food that we had for every meal in Quebec was outstanding, including breakfasts at the B&Bs. The people were very friendly; and we got to pretend we could speak just a few words of French.

If you decide to stay at any of the B&Bs on the island (which I fully recommend) there is an "information building" just as you leave the bridge from the mainland onto the island. There are literally more than 100 inns or B&Bs just on the island. We also had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant (can't recall the name), which was recommended by one of our hosts. As an added treat, one of the familiies that we stayed with dressed in "period" clothing while serving breakfast.

I have been to Quebec City many times (almost every year). The Citadelle is OK, but for me, Quebec is the food, the old European atmosphere, the wonderful little shops in the lower town, the boardwalk outside the Chateau Frontenac, and the Chateau itself. Just wander around and enjoy. My favorite restaurant is Le Patriarche (google it!).

We go skiing outside QC every year and pass by Montmorency Falls. We have yet to visit them. Is this a case of locals (or nearly) not knowing what they are missing or the opposite? To me from the road at least, they are not all that special. If you have lots of time and want something interesting, rent a car and drive past the falls for about an hour to Bay Saint Paul. It is a wonderful small town which has become an artists' haven - Lots of small galleries, shops and restaurants, and you can survive with no French. That being said in one or two days, I would stick to Quebec.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Thank you for the help. In the event that we do not pick up the rental car until the last day for our drive to Montreal, what is the best way to get to the Citadel? Is it all uphill walking to get there? In the alternative, are taxis available to take us to the entrance? Or does the Metro go near the entrance?

Thanks again for the help.

Shelley

Thanks, Maryann --

I do have some concerns about the Citadelle. We visited a fort in Puerto Rico that was very interesting, but if it's very similiar, then I feel like we've "been there, done that." So, that's why I'm inquiring . . . but if it's unique and amazing, how can I miss it? Yet, what I have been told is so special about Quebec City is the charm in wandering the Old City.

That being said, . . . do you have any concern that 2-1/2 days is too much to just wander around Quebec City? I love the idea of the quaint atmosphere with the cobblestone streets, but I just want to be sure that there is enough to do in the city for 2-1/2 days.

Would you spend all of the time just in the Old City, or would you explore some of the city that is outside the walled city? I read that St-Roch and Montcalm are interesting areas. Have you been to these areas?

If I read your reply correctly, your recommendation is to skip the Falls and areas outside the city when we have only 2-1/2 days?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

Quebec City is absolutely charming and fabulous. We ended up having two days there last year, as we overnighted unexpectedly due to remnants of Hurricane Kyle that passed through on our Canada/New York cruise. Anyway, we walked QC, not really knowing what all to do or what to see. We walked everywhere, and as it turned out, found ourselves at the Citadel. We decided to go in and spent a few hours there on a guided walking tour ($10.00 each I think, and you are not allowed to roam freely as it is still an active military base). It was very informative, and hubby enjoyed it thoroughly (more so than I - he is the history buff). You can definitely do that as well as other things you have planned.

Honestly, I think 2 1/2 days walking QC is too much. Perhaps you might look at an excursion or bus trip to the countryside? If we'd had time to plan for 2 days' worth, I think we might have done that.

I have pictures in my signature below, RCI Explorer of the Seas September 2008; pages 11 - 16 are Quebec City.

Two and a half days may be too much. It depends upon you. You will want to do some exploring outside the walls.

You could certainly rent a car and get out into the countryside. I think it is route 138 that takes you by the falls and goes on to Baie St. Paul. Follow the signs taking you to Beaupre and Mte. Sainte Anne.

Hi if you go on the Tourism Quebec website you'll see a list of lots of stuff to do that is not just history based. QC is a great place to pretend that you've travelled back in time or better yet, imagine that you're walking the streets of Paris...without the rude waiters and at a better rate of exchange than the Euro. Check out Trip advisor.. lots of do's and don'ts posted .

Thanks for all of the great replies. Very helpful.

Ontariotrekker -- I have checked tripadvisor. They show the Citadelle as the #4 rated "thing to do," and that's why I thought I had better ask about it. Your recommendation for the "Tourism Quebec website" is very much appreciated. What is that website?

Thanks,

Shelley

Among the sights to see in Quebec City, la Citadelle is certainly one of the top attractions. You will be too late in the season to see the daily Changing of the Guard but it will still be very interesting. Here's more information from the official website:

http://www.lacitadelle.qc.ca/section.php?lang=en&id=4

Archived