QM2 Watercolor classes

travelite

Has anyone taken the watercolor classes on the QM2?

What is the fee and are the supplies included?

Should I bring any of my own supplies? paper or WC block?

Do they cover a range of subjects and techniques? What level are the classes geared for?

Where are they being held? Last time I sailed, they were held in an undesirable location -- lower deck, forward; dark, small space. Due to the location, I did not participate.

Does the group paint local subjects at any of the ports?

On our recent TAs - the location was the same.

There were two classes a day and on the Westbound crossing the classes were free and people attended as they wished.

I was a complete beginner, others had varied experiences but everyone seemed to enjoy it. The classes generally looked at different techniques but as the days passed, there was a shortage of materials. The tutor was very good.

On the return journey,(a few days later) the classes were charged at $35 dollars for the set of lessons which included materials and, I think, was dependent on numbers.

I had decided already not to attend because I wanted to do the things I had missed on the first journey so cannot say if they materials were improved because of the fee. I noticed it was the same tutor though.

I also attended the watercolor class on a TA. The material fee was $35 as others have said but there were people there with their own brushes and paints hoping I think to pick up some tips.

The materials included a watercolor pad, paints (tubes), brushes and even some pastels that were never used.

I didn't think the location was that bad, stairway B Deck 1. Not as nice as the upper decks but workable.

The class I was in was packed...you had to arrive early to get a good seat up front. As mentioned there was a 2 hour class in the AM and another one in the PM.

Our instructor was good but unfortunately spent to much time on individuals and their problems leaving the rest of the class with little to do for large portions of the class. The instructors change though so don't let that put you off. Ours was only on for the 23 day Med cruise this past May.

It was fun and made me want to continue on with watercolor!

...the instructor was a life-long teacher of something or other and also a lifelong watercolorist. She was a bit dry and spent a lot of time talking about her own work. Someone else here commented that their instructor spent a lot of time on individuals, which we also found. But she DID head us off in the right direction and DID give us maybe half a dozen crucially important tips. We left early and did not go back to another class. But we have taken those tips and continued to paint, buying books to flesh out the onboard lessons.

So, I would say YES, get there early and take the class. Do not expect it to be a one-on-one lesson nor the kind of multi-week course you will find at most community colleges. But it WILL give you the basic skills to do enough watercolor to encourage you to learn more.

Enjoy!

I ommitted to say it was great fun! I met some lovely people there and thoroughly enjoyed their company.

I agree with the packed classes on some days. I used to go around 9.30ish because I had been somewhere else at 9.00 and I was closer to the room than to go back up to our stateroom. People were there already, helping to set up or working on their own projects- as you say with their own materials.

The class should have begun at 10.00am each day but it was more likely 9.45am with the eagerness to get a seat and produce masterpieces ;)

Archived