Rental Car Question

CruzinGoofBall

Hello everyone!

My DW and I and possible another couple will be flying into FLL two days before our cruise out of FLL. We will, of course, be staying in yet to be determined hotel. We would like to rent a car so that we can travel around town the two days we are there pre-cruise.

It is my understanding that the airport and cruise terminal are near each other. If I return my rental car back to the airport, how would I get to the cruise terminal. Do the car rental companies provide a continuous shuttle, would I have to take a taxi, or is there another more preferred method to get to the cruise terminal?

Any help that you can provide would be most greatly appreciated!

THANKS

Hello everyone!

My DW and I and possible another couple will be flying into FLL two days before our cruise out of FLL. We will, of course, be staying in yet to be determined hotel. We would like to rent a car so that we can travel around town the two days we are there pre-cruise.

It is my understanding that the airport and cruise terminal are near each other. If I return my rental car back to the airport, how would I get to the cruise terminal. Do the car rental companies provide a continuous shuttle, would I have to take a taxi, or is there another more preferred method to get to the cruise terminal?

Any help that you can provide would be most greatly appreciated!

THANKS

There is a complimentary shuttle but it isn't available to all car rental companies you would have to ask them when you call. We used Hertz and they utilize the free shuttle however no one ever told us that the do not start shuttling to the port until 11am. We dropped our car off on the 19th/Monday just before 10am and were told to go wait in Section 1 out in front of the airport, after standing around and going in twice to ask what the holdup was we were finally informed by a worker that they don't start until 11am. We ended up taking a taxi over to the port for $12 since we wanted to get there early :)

When checking rates, checkout Budget and returning to their location at Quay Plaza on 17th, you can pickup at the airport. It is near a lot of hotels and at last check they still ran a shuttle to the port, which is just a couple of minutes away.

My sister and I just got back last week from Fort Lauderdale and we rented from Dollar for a couple of days. The guy that checked us in asked what airline we needed to get to and when I told him that we were going to the cruise port he said that the customer service guy would take us over there. I didn't realize they would do this and I had already dropped my sister off with the luggage near the cabs. But the guy just drove by there picked her and our luggage up and off we went to the port. We just tipped the guy what we would have paid the cab. This was at about 10:30-10:45. Not sure if they do this all the time but it was a nice thing for them to do.

^ vjblk, that is exactly what happened to us too! We were the only ones on his bus and we tipped him as if he'd been a cab also. He was so nice. :)

In addition to what everyone else has said, we would just take a cab next time. The cost is less than $15.00, plus there is much less hassle. Think of everyone returning their rental car and wanting a ride to the port... imagine them starting at 11 am, and then having to load passengers and luggage. It's entirely possible you are looking at closer to 11:30 now. I think you could take a cab and be there much earlier, ready to start your vacation. :)

Archived