5 ships in port on Dec. 15th - question on Baths

mnfun2bme

It appears from a website that there will b 5 ships in Tortola when we arrive on December 15th. On such a small island, that's a bit concerning. My initial plan was to walk to the ferry with our family of 4 and head to Virgin Gorda to see the much appreciated baths. I'm concerned about this because there will be so many passengers from different ships.

1. Should I be concerned about the crowded baths in Virgin Gorda?

2. Does that affect the ferry rides timeframe to and from Virgin Gorda or do they stay "on time?"

3. Will the baths be so crowded that you are not able to enjoy them because of so many people?

4. Would we be better off going elsewhere?

Any info would be helpful!

Wow, that is insane. For one thing, some of those ships will be tendering. I think the cruise ship dock only holds 2 ships. I know the Norwegian Pearl comes every Wed. so I assume they get first docking rights. I guess it will be a toss-up on who gets the other spot.

Climbing through the Baths with a few thousand strangers does not sound like a very good time to me. Cane Garden Bay will be a madhouse. Here are a few alternatives that I can think of:

If you take the ferry over to Virgin Gorda, you can have the taxi take you to Spring Bay Beach instead of the Baths. There are large boulders there too, although they are not as impressive as the ones at the Baths. You still get the experience, at a much less crowded beach. On the down side, the ferries might be a bit overwhelmed that day; don't try to cut your time too close. You could also catch a taxi on Virgin Gorda and head the other way to visit Savannah Bay, Mahoe Bay, or even Leverick Bay on the North Sound.

Tortola will be very crowded. You might want to consider taking a day trip over to Peter Island (the ferry from Tortola is $20 round trip, and Deadman's Bay is gorgeous with good snorkeling). You could also take a taxi over to the west end of Tortola (Soper's Hole) which should be less crowded than Road Town (there are some cute shops here). From there you can take a ferry over to Jost Van Dyke (also $20). This is a great day trip for those who want to go beach bar hopping - Ivan's, Foxy's, Soggy Dollar, One Love, and many more beach bars are there. White Bay on Jost is also a beautiful beach.

With a little planning, you can still have a great day in the BVI without getting swamped by other cruisers. If it were me, I would save a visit to the Baths for a future (less crowded) time.

The cruise industry diminishes A LOT of different 'values' when they overload islands like Tortola and Grand Cayman in this way. You expect it on St. Thomas - but the BVI isn't that scene. I was on Tortola when only a ship or two were piered and our operator (Patouche) was glad to get to the Baths an hour or so before the "horde". Five ship loads will take the bloom off the rose of a spot!

The prior poster's suggestions are informed and sound. Peter Island is probably the best place to dodge the crowd (and its a 'beaute' on its own).

Archived