Beach option for a few hours post cruise?

cheffip

Does anyone know of a beach resort or restaurant where I could store our luggage and hang out on the beach for a few hours before going to the airport for a 4 pm flight. Another thread on this forum has a good suggestion for storing luggage and walking around OSJ, but having done that several times I know I would enjoy a little R&R on the beach before the flight back home to the cold. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

you could go to the marriott and buy a day pass.2 year's ago they were $35 P/P. THIS ENTITLES YOU TO THE USE OF THE BEACH, SWIMMING POOL, CHAIRS AND LOUNGERS, AND CHECKING YOU LUGGAGE. THE KEY TO THIS IS THAT YOU ALSO HAVE USE OF THE GYM, WHICH INCLUDES THE SHOWERS. NICE WAY TO FINISH OFF YOUR TRIP.

STEVE

Just got back yesterday and I definitely DO NOT recommend the Marriott. Go to the Caribe Hilton. Taxi ride is about the same and the day pass is $45 for use of the a pool, beach and gym and is soooooo much nicer! Despite my issues with customer service the facilities are a lot better. They also have a locker room available to shower if needed and a pool with a swim up bar. They also have play ground for kids. We arrived at 11 o'clock and there were plenty of chairs available and the hotel was PACKED and we didn't feel cramped or uncomfortable. We are def going there again!

As for the Marriott...We took a $14 cab to the hotel from the port. As soon as we got out of the taxi, we told the bell hop outside that we were there for a day pass - he said he'd check inside if it was OK since they were full. We had the cab driver wait just in case we needed to go to another hotel. The bell hop came out and told us that it was OK for the day pass so we paid the taxi driver and went inside. The person inside checking luggage told us it would be $5 to check our luggage. We thought that this was a little odd and told him we were there for a day pass and he said ok and gave us our tickets for the luggage. We then went to the front desk and were told there were no day passes available. I explained that I asked the person outside who if they were available and paid our taxi cab driver in good faith that we were staying here. I even called this hotel a week before to see if day passes would be available for this date and were told that it would be no problem and just come to the front desk.

In the end, we were told there were none available and there would be no exceptions. The manager offered no appologies and could care less about the money we wasted on a taxi because the hotel employee gave us wrong information. When I asked for the CEO's name and address she laughed and sarcastically said "You want to call Mr. Marriott? Hes the one who owns the hotel." The customer service was unacceptable and not what I've experienced at other Marriotts but definitely is making me reconsidering stay at this chain in the future. One thing is for sure, we will never stay at a Marriott in San Juan again!

I tried contacted the Marriott a while ago after reading here about the day pass. I did finally hear back from the front office manager and he said he could not promise me anything, it would depend on how many people are booked that day at the hotel. You could tell he did not need our business and we were on the bottom of his list to accommodate! After getting a big brush off, we made other plans and we too will never stay there! He also said it would be $5.00 per piece of luggage plus the $35.00 day pass per person. I would NOT plan on the Marriott if you are looking for a place to spend your last day before heading home to reality!

the thing with day passes in hotels is that they are subject to the daily occupancy rate of the hotel, regular overnight guests or room day use have a priority over day pass guests, they do not want to overcrowd the hotel facilities for the room guests, that is why it is subject to daily occupancy rate, if the hotel is over 70% or more, depends on the overcrowd policy of each hotel, these hotels do not accept day passes as long the occupancy is at that level. Now, what happened to poster poohb223 is unacceptable because he was told by an employee of the hotel that the day pass was ok for that day when they did not have any, in this case the hotel was supossed to allow the day pass due to an employee's error, in hospitality management you do not resolve an error with a bigger error, the shift manager of this hotel needs to go back to hospitality management school fast because he definetly flunked in a big way!

Archived