What side of ship is best for Hawaiian cruise. POA

darceyg

Booked up for POA Hawaiian cruise July 2010. Heard there maybe a best side to be on? Re- volcanoes? Any info re ship or tours greatly received. Cheers. Darc

In case you've only just now started to research, James who answered you on which side of the ship, actually works on Pride of America. He's the main person at the main desk. His recommendations come with lots of knowledge. I chose port side for the Napali coast viewing as he said and I will go up on deck for the Volcano viewing.

I booked in February for a cruise in July 2011:eek: I've done hours and hours and tons and tons of research so far. I feel like I already know everything, but of course I do not.

If this is your first time in Hawaii, I would imagine you'll want to go to the Volcano on your day in Hilo. Due to the time change and jetlag, you should try to get to Hawaii at least 1 day in advance, but more if you can afford both the money and the time. I plan to get there on Wednesday. I am leaving from the East Coast of the US. I will stay in Waikiki probably. I hope to also stay until Tuesday after the cruise and may stay on the North Shore then.

I plan to purchase the Romance/Anniversary package before boarding. It's a great bargain--check the gift area of the NCL website for info on this.

If you plan to do a helicopter ride, the islands of choice would be Kauai or the Big Island. I plan to do it on Kauai.

I THINK i'm going to do the Road to Hana in Maui, but I'm not completely sure yet. I KNOW I'm going to do the sunrise at Haleakala while on Maui. Obviously, that would be the second day in Maui, since the sun will already be up when we arrive there the first day.

I think this is plenty to get you started, but honestly you should go to the "Ports of Call" section of CruiseCritic and go to Hawaii. You will find a TON of information there! Good luck!

Oh--one more thing--buy a book or some books. I've got 3. Hawaii by cruiseship, Fodors Hawaii and Revealed Kauai. You will find many people REALLY like the Revealed books...they have them for each of the Hawaiian islands.

I like the Starboard myself.... for not only the Volcano sail-by, but the time in ports. Maui... facing out in to the harbor... not the dock. Hilo ... depends on several factors...but usually facing in to the dock. Kona...don't matter. Kauai... usually facing out to the Harbor.

Then for the sail-by of the NaPali coast....usually go the the aft of deck 11 and order drinks and sit at the tables. Then after the ship turns... if I have not had enough....go back to the room for the reverse view.

Whatever works for you..... or as I did on my last cruise on the PoAm.... an aft room ( Cat AF ), then you can see it all!

Chuck

I like the Starboard myself.... for not only the Volcano sail-by, but the time in ports. Maui... facing out in to the harbor... not the dock. Hilo ... depends on several factors...but usually facing in to the dock. Kona...don't matter. Kauai... usually facing out to the Harbor.

Then for the sail-by of the NaPali coast....usually go the the aft of deck 11 and order drinks and sit at the tables. Then after the ship turns... if I have not had enough....go back to the room for the reverse view.

Whatever works for you..... or as I did on my last cruise on the PoAm.... an aft room ( Cat AF ), then you can see it all!

Chuck

I don't know if I've already discussed the AF cabin with you, but can you tell me about it? I have 9698 booked for very far away upcoming cruise in July 2011. I am so looking forward to this cabin. Do you have any pictures? There will be 4 of us in the cabin. Did you have 2 lounge chairs on your deck? Can a mom and her son sleep comfortably in the 2nd bedroom or will one need to sleep in there and one sleep in the living room?

I don't know if I've already discussed the AF cabin with you, but can you tell me about it? I have 9698 booked for very far away upcoming cruise in July 2011. I am so looking forward to this cabin. Do you have any pictures? There will be 4 of us in the cabin. Did you have 2 lounge chairs on your deck? Can a mom and her son sleep comfortably in the 2nd bedroom or will one need to sleep in there and one sleep in the living room?

smrtypnts,

If Chuck doesn't have pics I have some on my camera on the ship so when I go back tomorrow I can email you some.

How old is your son? The 2nd bedroom is kinda small but has a nice window where the main bedroom doesn't. The balcony is huge though!

James

If James would pass on his photos of AF cabin, it would be faster than me hunting for mine....

I was in 9198 ....and loved it. Was my wife and I, and our friend in the small room.

It is laid out like this....enter room...small hallway, large bedroom on one side, bathroom on other side. Then the living room, which has a chair and a sofa sleeper, and plenty of shelves, and a fridge, TV set. and the small room off of it, which has a single sofa bed, desk area, closet, TV set, and like James said a large floor to ceiling window. This room has a sliding door to close it off if need be.

Also the sliding door out of the living room leads to a huge wrap around lanai. It had 2 loungers, and 1 chair, plus a small table. The lanai is about half covered by the room/lanai above. Feel very little wind, and zero vibration from the ship while under way.

The larger bedroom has a closet, desk area and TV set. This room has a open/close type door on it. I think I remember that there were 3 sets of temp controls, one in the large bedroom, one in the living area, and one in the small room.

There is also a small area to the side between the bathroom and living area, where there are several shelves and the safe. A good place to stach lots of stuff.

Very handy to get to the buffet area...down the hall, up the elevator or stairs to deck 11.

I am trying to decide on which room myself for our summer 2010 cruise on the PoAm... I have done Cat. AE on it twice ... 12008, and 12012. And Cat. AF 9198.

Like both type...as the both have nice sized lanais!

Hope this helps...

Chuck

If James would pass on his photos of AF cabin, it would be faster than me hunting for mine....

I was in 9198 ....and loved it. Was my wife and I, and our friend in the small room.

It is laid out like this....enter room...small hallway, large bedroom on one side, bathroom on other side. Then the living room, which has a chair and a sofa sleeper, and plenty of shelves, and a fridge, TV set. and the small room off of it, which has a single sofa bed, desk area, closet, TV set, and like James said a large floor to ceiling window. This room has a sliding door to close it off if need be.

Also the sliding door out of the living room leads to a huge wrap around lanai. It had 2 loungers, and 1 chair, plus a small table. The lanai is about half covered by the room/lanai above. Feel very little wind, and zero vibration from the ship while under way.

The larger bedroom has a closet, desk area and TV set. This room has a open/close type door on it. I think I remember that there were 3 sets of temp controls, one in the large bedroom, one in the living area, and one in the small room.

There is also a small area to the side between the bathroom and living area, where there are several shelves and the safe. A good place to stach lots of stuff.

Very handy to get to the buffet area...down the hall, up the elevator or stairs to deck 11.

I am trying to decide on which room myself for our summer 2010 cruise on the PoAm... I have done Cat. AE on it twice ... 12008, and 12012. And Cat. AF 9198.

Like both type...as the both have nice sized lanais!

Hope this helps...

Chuck

Thank you to both you Chuck and to you James. It's always a pleasure getting such great information from both of you.

The normal cruise route does not sail by the cliffs of Molokai. However ... I have sailed by them twice, once on the SS Independence ( due to Kauai be closed due to port damage from a hurricane) and once on the PoAm due to dropping Kona, rough waters for the tenders.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...
In case you've only just now started to research, James who answered you on which side of the ship, actually works on Pride of America. He's the main person at the main desk. His recommendations come with lots of knowledge. I chose port side for the Napali coast viewing as he said and I will go up on deck for the Volcano viewing.

I booked in February for a cruise in July 2011:eek: I've done hours and hours and tons and tons of research so far. I feel like I already know everything, but of course I do not.

If this is your first time in Hawaii, I would imagine you'll want to go to the Volcano on your day in Hilo. Due to the time change and jetlag, you should try to get to Hawaii at least 1 day in advance, but more if you can afford both the money and the time. I plan to get there on Wednesday. I am leaving from the East Coast of the US. I will stay in Waikiki probably. I hope to also stay until Tuesday after the cruise and may stay on the North Shore then.

I plan to purchase the Romance/Anniversary package before boarding. It's a great bargain--check the gift area of the NCL website for info on this.

If you plan to do a helicopter ride, the islands of choice would be Kauai or the Big Island. I plan to do it on Kauai.

I THINK i'm going to do the Road to Hana in Maui, but I'm not completely sure yet. I KNOW I'm going to do the sunrise at Haleakala while on Maui. Obviously, that would be the second day in Maui, since the sun will already be up when we arrive there the first day.

I think this is plenty to get you started, but honestly you should go to the "Ports of Call" section of CruiseCritic and go to Hawaii. You will find a TON of information there! Good luck!

Oh--one more thing--buy a book or some books. I've got 3. Hawaii by cruiseship, Fodors Hawaii and Revealed Kauai. You will find many people REALLY like the Revealed books...they have them for each of the Hawaiian islands.

I went to the NCL site and looked at the Anniversary package, but couldn't seem to find the place to actually order it . It gives a description of the packages but no link for purchase. Do you have to call them to do it?

I went to the NCL site and looked at the Anniversary package, but couldn't seem to find the place to actually order it . It gives a description of the packages but no link for purchase. Do you have to call them to do it?

First let me say that since I wrote that about the Romance/Anniversay package the price has gone up considerably and I personally no longer think it is such a great deal.

As for the answer to your question--yes, i'm pretty sure you do have to call.

Good luck and enjoy!

This is really a matter of personal preference & finances. We are doing one in Kauai because I do not want to invest the time/fatigue involved in driving to the Waimea Canyon. By helicopter you will see waterfalls not visible from the road.

But I'd like to have booked the West Maui/Molokai helicopter tour, also. That would have been my only way to see any of Molokai. Don't disregard that trip, either. The advice I've been given is not to book the 45 minute W Maui/Molokai trip because they'll skip some important waterfalls & sights in Molokai. Therefore, book the full 60 minute trips. But the price on the 45 minute tour is very tempting.

And realize that due to weather conditions, these trips can be cancelled, so have a plan B for that morning. And yes, do them in the morning is the advice given by literally everyone who has been in the business. Apparently cloud cover comes in a little later in the day and you would not have good visibility and more chance of cancelation.

This is really a matter of personal preference & finances. We are doing one in Kauai because I do not want to invest the time/fatigue involved in driving to the Waimea Canyon. By helicopter you will see waterfalls not visible from the road.

QUOTE]

Being you have not been here, this is hardly a "big investment" to see the Waimae Canyons, by ground. It is a short simple, easy drive, that can offer plenty. Rental cars are cheap, shuttle right from the dock, office, 2 miles away. Then the 1/2 -+1 hour drive, with many excellent scenic vista stops. Add Poipu, the blow Hole, etc etc. can offer an excellent opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE]

Being you have not been here, this is hardly a "big investment" to see the Waimae Canyons, by ground. It is a short simple, easy drive, that can offer plenty. Rental cars are cheap, shuttle right from the dock, office, 2 miles away. Then the 1/2 -+1 hour drive, with many excellent scenic vista stops. Add Poipu, the blow Hole, etc etc. can offer an excellent opportunity.

BQ, thanks for your input. We knew our limitations going in, and knew we'd be tired 1) from the long flight 2) from jet lag 3) from our lives prior to Hawaii (that's why we needed a vacation) and we wanted as much ship time as possible.

The helicopter ride was smooth as silk and naturally we were able to see waterfalls in canyons that are not visible from the road, so I am not sorry we did it our way.

BTW I left you a note in my review. Thought you'd be interested to know that whales were spotted via helicopter in Kauai during the day last Thursday. Then that evening the same couple who saw them from the air went on a sunset cruise on the NaPali coast and saw them again. This was Dec 3.

And to the OP, sometimes the ship docks so that the port side of the ship is facing outward, with starboard side by the port, so you can't make all your plans based on where you might be. This happened to us in Hilo.

• 4 months later...

Wow! I DO love this website! It is addicting! We are leaving in 4 days (since it's now 1:52 a.m. and I shouldn't be doing this)! We are staying in the AF 9198 cabin and I am so excited (have been) ... thanks Chuck and James! Gr8 feedback! I will definitely be posting my review as I cannot tell you how I check daily to see if there are udpates and the information is so valuable. Lisa

Wow! I DO love this website! It is addicting! We are leaving in 4 days (since it's now 1:52 a.m. and I shouldn't be doing this)! We are staying in the AF 9198 cabin and I am so excited (have been) ... thanks Chuck and James! Gr8 feedback! I will definitely be posting my review as I cannot tell you how I check daily to see if there are udpates and the information is so valuable. Lisa

Would you be kind enough to take a bunch of pics of the cabin, please? I would love to see them! I have cabin 9698, but not for a year+!!

And yes, this website is very addicting!

Looking forward to your review and pictures of cabin 9198.

Our family of 5 has this cabin booked for our Hawaii cruise next July. (Shhhh, its a surprise, no one but be me knows so far)

Looking forward to your review and pictures of cabin 9198.

Our family of 5 has this cabin booked for our Hawaii cruise next July. (Shhhh, its a surprise, no one but be me knows so far)

When you say next July--do you mean July 2011? If so, when in July are you going? We are booked for July 23rd.

i was wondering if ncl has a boat tour that takes you right near the volcano, like the commerical i saw on tv is so what island is it on

As of April 2010, there is no lava flowing into the ocean. However that can change at any time. Currently, the Pu'u 'O'o (eruption going on since 1983) lava flows are headed east and are just on the land.

Archived