Sapphire Beach - how is it now, what's it like?

blueslily

Hi all,

I have been planning for an upcoming cruise for the past 8 months. I selected Sapphire Beach based on reviews of the board month ago.

but, what's it like now? Is there food service? Any management issues? Anything I should know about?

Just wondering since beaches get such mixed reviews. We picked the beach months ago, but wonder if we should switch to a different one if things have changed.

Thanks so much! We're counting down to our cruise. Only six weeks to go!!!

Sapphire is the same as it was several months ago. The beach front restaurant/bar is still closed. Banana Cabana (small open air grill with burgers, sandwiches, beers/sodas/smoothies) is open; its a very short walk from the shore, between two of the condo buildings. Grapevine Grill up by the condo pool is open and it usually has wait staff walking around the beach with a menu, taking and deliver orders for a service charge. Watersports booth has snorkel gear, chairs, windsurfers and some other things. You can do jet skis and parasailing at the Sapphire Marina, a short walk from the beach.

--Islander

Sapphire is the same as it was several months ago. The beach front restaurant/bar is still closed. Banana Cabana (small open air grill with burgers, sandwiches, beers/sodas/smoothies) is open; its a very short walk from the shore, between two of the condo buildings. Grapevine Grill up by the condo pool is open and it usually has wait staff walking around the beach with a menu, taking and deliver orders for a service charge. Watersports booth has snorkel gear, chairs, windsurfers and some other things. You can do jet skis and parasailing at the Sapphire Marina, a short walk from the beach.

--Islander

Thanks Islander. Do you think we should select a different beach? If yes, what are your suggestions?

Depends on what you are looking for at the beach... beach bar, restaurant, snorkeling, people watching, swimming, taking a long stroll...?

--Islander

Thx. islander. we are looking for a clean beach, not overly crowded, nice waves (not too calm), restarant, and clean restrooms.

Sapphire is clean. It is generally not crowded, however if there are several ships in port it can get busy. Its not a wavy beach, its usually pretty calm. Restaurant options were listed in previous post. The restrooms are hit or miss; since the restaurant in the same building as the restrooms closed the restrooms are not getting much attention and upkeep.

You might also consider Secret Harbor. Its also clean, usually not crowded, also calm, there is a restaurant/bar and restrooms are usually clean.

None of the popular swimming beaches in St. Thomas really get much wave action with the exception of times when there is bad weather in the area stirring up the sea. The beaches here are typically pretty calm.

--Islander

I forgot to mention the issue of rocks in the sand. I read that Megans bay is having some issues with lots of rocks when you first enter the water.

How's Coki? I don't mind some crowd. But, we don't want to be overwhelmed with folks.

Magens Bay is a sandy beach. It is also sandy in the water with the exception of a very small area on the far right when facing the water where there are sometimes a few pebbles mixed in with the sand... but there are very few. Its a sandy beach all around.

Sapphire has a sandy side (left side when facing the water) and a rocky side (right side when facing the water). And the sandyside does have some pebbles mixed in the sand when in the water.

Secret Harbor is sandy along the shore, there are some rocky spots in the water. They are easy to avoid as the water is really clear so you can see them.

Coki is sandy on the beach and in the water. The is a large rock outcrop on the right side when facing the water, that is where a lot of people snorkel. There aren't pebbles are anything in the sand. Its a very small beach and a popular one with cruise passengers and tours so it can bet very busy if there are various ships in port.

You might try a St. Thomas Beach Guide for images and descriptions of these and other beaches to get more information: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=st.+thomas+beach+guide&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1.

--Islander

Hey Islander, thanks for all the information! I was also wondering what to do for a day in St. Thomas. This will be our first stop on an upcoming cruise and was torn on whether or not to make it down to Trunk Bay or just take it easy and go to Secret Harbor or Sapphire Beach. My wife and I have never been to the Caribbean and are looking forward to seeing a beautiful clear water beach that also has good snorkeling. From what I've read, all three of these beaches have good snorkeling and are nice, but which one would you recommend for a first time visit and a true paradise feeling? Thanks in advance!

If you want post card beach paradise, kodak moment looking beach - Trunk Bay fits that. Its actually the most photographed beach on St. John... if not the Caribbean. I've even seen articles that suggest its the most photographed beach in the world. Its part of the National Park so with just a couple exceptions, for example the Trunk Bay food booth and entrance station, there is no development. So you have a white sand beach, crystal clear water, protected by the park service, beautiful spot. Getting to St. John does require the commute and if you prefer not to spend an hour or so getting there and an hour or so getting back then Sapphire and Secret Harbor both are pretty beaches and both have good snorkeling.

--Islander

Archived