Romance Package Price Change!

xu_chen

Most retail stores will always honor such a request, unless the item was on "clearance". $79 was not a "limited-time offer".

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I don't have any idea of what you're trying to say. If a department store was selling a DVD player yesterday for $79...regular price...and they raise it today to $100, you're going to pay $100.

The airline luggage charge issue is not comaprable, because baggage allowances are part of your contract when you buy a ticket. In other words when you buy a ticket it includes the right for you to check so many pieces of luggage free of charge or at a stated charge. The airline can't unilaterally change that. The Romance Package price increase is akin to an airline deciding to charge more for a glass of wine starting on tomorrow's flights.

Well, this is very disappointing.:( That was one of the great on boards gifts to get. I can't imagine what the extra $56 is for:confused: The sparkling wine isn't even a full size bottle, Le Bistro is a $15 surcharge each, The photo we got was as lousy quality, what's that worth $8 - $10? How much ar the strawberries anyway, $12-$13? A bottle of house wine, $17-$18? Ok so I guess if they are trying to get rid it of, raising the price is the best way to do it, but I think it's a mistake. I say give people what they want at a fair price or cut it outright. $135 is neither fair or reaonable. One more sad face for you, decison maker at NCL.:(

Mr Lowtyd and I enjoyed the house wine! I think he was drinking it for "medicinal purposes".

They're probably gonna have much smaller anniversary cake and champage parties now. Never did go to them. Just ordered the package for the champage and strawberries, dinner and wine. Now I'll just have to get them ala carte. No problem. :)

The romance package was a good deal but after being in the suite, there was just food constantly....or at least it felt like it:eek:! My answer to the romance package is I will bring my bottle of wine at $15 corkage fee....a special one from our cooler in the basement that will be much better than anything we could buy on board and we will have dinner at Cagneys which I prefer over Le Bistro anyway and take our own pictures. We didn't go to the anniversary party anyway so I will be ahead by not buying the package.

You know I don't mind prices going up a reasonable amount, but almost double is unbelievable!! The way I see it, NCL shoots themselves in the foot raising the price that much because less people will buy it. I really love them as a cruise line, but I do intend to start shopping around when we purchase our next cruise.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I don't have any idea of what you're trying to say. If a department store was selling a DVD player yesterday for $79...regular price...and they raise it today to $100, you're going to pay $100.

I don't want to veer off the topic but any place I'd shop for a DVD player will honor the $79 price from last week if I bring it up. Unlike eggs and gasoline, electronics and cruise lines are not commodities and therefore are not governed by supply-demand pricing.

I don't think NCL was "selling out" the Romance Package fast at the $79 price point and wanted to limit demand by almost doubling the price.

To me, NCL just lost a chance at making a profit (albeit a thinner profit) on a sale, and missed a chance to make a customer very happy.

The "Captain's Choice" which is a bottle of house wine and some fruit went up as well...from $30 to $38.

The Romance package seems to be about $85-$95 value if you break everything out (not sure of the "value" of the honeymooner's party??) at $79 you saved just a bit..at $135..just do it all "a la carte" and create your own package!

I don't want to veer off the topic but any place I'd shop for a DVD player will honor the $79 price from last week if I bring it up. Unlike eggs and gasoline, electronics and cruise lines are not commodities and therefore are not governed by supply-demand pricing.

I don't think NCL was "selling out" the Romance Package fast at the $79 price point and wanted to limit demand by almost doubling the price.

To me, NCL just lost a chance at making a profit (albeit a thinner profit) on a sale, and missed a chance to make a customer very happy.

You're the one who keeps claiming you shop at stores that do this. Can you tell me which stores, and for how long they honor outdated prices?

Cruise pricing is not governed by supply and demand? Really?

It is disappointing. Even though we got some of those things, the wine and the strawberries, with the suite, it still was a good buy. I would think twice at the new price.

I wasn't aware the sparking wine was not a full size bottle. It looks like it. I still have it and it's the same size as the bottle of Moet we got.

I took the percentage off on another picture since we didn't go to the party and the cake...yuck!

Maybe it was just me. I think I am used to bigger bottles-LOL. It looked so small in the ice bucket! :rolleyes:

I just thought of something:

Perhaps the new price point will make most sales of this package actual "gift" sales and will ensure that most people at the honeymooners party are actually honeymooners?

Perhaps the new price point will make most sales of this package actual "gift" sales and will ensure that most people at the honeymooners party are actually honeymooners?

It would be a first probably!!!! WEll, actually, I did meet a couple on my last cruise that were Honeymooners that ordered the package--and were planning on going to the party--like they said--FREE CHAMPAGNE!!!!!!!

I order the package and don't even have a significant other!!!!:eek:

But like DaDead--I never attended the party......;)

Funny--I just got a call from NCL asking what I enjoyed most about my recent cruise--I couldn't resist--I told her the Honeymoon package!!!

I also told her that there was quite a raucous over the price increase!

She said she had heard.......

Also used for anniversaries but they don't say anniversary of what. Could be your one week anniveray of last Tuesday! :)

I know people who ordered two for the same cruise.

yeah, bummer. I was going to book one pkg for me and DH as well as one for another couple traveling with us....oh well..... sounds like NCL is losing out on a lot of these bookings now. It's really their loss, not mine. I'll spend the money in port somewhere.;)

Well, this is very disappointing.:( That was one of the great on boards gifts to get. I can't imagine what the extra $56 is for:confused: The sparkling wine isn't even a full size bottle, Le Bistro is a $15 surcharge each, The photo we got was as lousy quality, what's that worth $8 - $10? How much ar the strawberries anyway, $12-$13? A bottle of house wine, $17-$18? Ok so I guess if they are trying to get rid it of, raising the price is the best way to do it, but I think it's a mistake. I say give people what they want at a fair price or cut it outright. $135 is neither fair or reaonable. One more sad face for you, decison maker at NCL.:(

I need to cruise with you. Help me find any picture for $8 or house wine for less the $20. :D:D I think the $135 is now just about the same price as buying everything onboard. Keep in ming they add 15% to everything. No longer the the best deal that we all took advantage of. I never got a split on that fine NCL curvee but always a full bottle. ;)

As xu_chen posted still a good gift for a real honeymoon couple.

Decided to buy a Romance Package for our honeymoon cruise next month. Read so much about the Romance Package on this message board and also looked it up on NCL's web site last Friday! The $79 package looked wonderful and to be of great value too.

Well, called today to book it, and was told the price was changed YESTERDAY to $135. NCL almost doubled it!

I booked the cruise a month ago, both the agent and NCL are aware that it was our honeymoon, besides I wanted to place the order last Friday but just didn't get around to it. Explained all of this to NCL and all they would say is "sorry there is nothing we can do."

So we decided not to get it since we'd feel bad about it knowing we got ripped off just by calling a day too late. Very unfortunate that NCL could not be more accomodating with a SUDDEN and DRASTIC price change.

I know what you are going through...............We are booked for our honeymoon as well. Our story is worse...........We called last week and was told by a NCL person that we need to call back to get the package starting 2 weeks before your cruise.......When we called back today they tell us the price has doubled. When we explained the situation the person on the phone told us we need proof that you called.......No customer service......Other than this we love NCL......Just such an important time and to have them raise the price after we tried to book it...LOW.

I need to cruise with you. Help me find any picture for $8 or house wine for less the $20. :D:D I think the $135 is now just about the same price as buying everything onboard. Keep in ming they add 15% to everything. No longer the the best deal that we all took advantage of. I never got a split on that fine NCL curvee but always a full bottle. ;)

LOL I was just throwing out some numbers. How much is a 5 x 7 pic? I stated earlier that I thought the bottle looked small but others have already proved me wrong. I just like bigger bottles!:D You know you can a decent bottle of wine for about $10. I know they mark it up tremedously. But when something is a "package" that should be a better deal then buying everything for the same price. $135 is no bargain.

Somethings rotten in Demark.

Maybe they increased the price of everything onboard and $135 is actually a great deal, LOL.

I'm just scaring myself now but after this experience, I wouldn't be surprised.

All I can say is "What the eff, NCL??" Raise the package prices, fine.. but this is WAY over the top!

I'm hoping this is a big mistake that Mr. Sheehan knows nothing about, but soon will... Just like when some genius stopped the bar setups.

At $135, the deal is no longer a deal. And I agree with iheart, the wine and Champagne were just so-so.

Maybe they increased the price of everything onboard and $135 is actually a great deal, LOL.

I'm just scaring myself now but after this experience, I wouldn't be surprised.

You're also scaring me!!!!:eek:

We got this package for our June 2009 cruise and enjoyed the sparkling wine and strawberries and the meal at Le Bistro with the wine. We didn't go to the party or claim the picture. We were not entralled by the canapes at all and could take them or leave them.

All that said I sent in my fax 2 weeks ago to get the package for my 50th birthday cruise in Feb 2010. I am glad that I did as I would not have been willing to pay $135 for it. We just did a quick add up and decided that the package is worth $80 to us. $30 for the meal, $40 for the two bottles and $10 for the strawberries. I mean, it is NOT champagne, I can buy a bottle of Moet in a supermarket here for less than say $45 and a bottle of comparable wine for say $8 tops. The Bistro meal is worth the $15 each and last summer we did eat there a second time paying an additional supplement for some prime beef dish.

I won't be buying the package again as the value has gone. I will continue to eat at Le Bistro and pay for that but we are not big drinkers so will not really miss the alcohol part. Nor will we miss the canapes and party.

Archived