Beach Questions

blueslily

HI all,

What's the difference between Dickinson Bay and Runaway beach? Aren't they next door to one another?

Which one has a better restaurant and bathroom?

Which one has fewer vendors?

Which one is where you board the horses?

Which one has the jet skiis?

Any other differences?

Any information will helpful?

We took taxi to Dickenson to do horse riding. Dropped us off on main road to meet horses and guide. Info guy at dockside made call for us when we got off ship to meet him and arranged taxi for us. Had a great ride down to Runaway bay, across to St James(i think)beach and round in a loop back to Dickenson. So yes they are next to each other. Runaway much quieter, didn't have so many beach bars, but was concentrating on staying on horse though! Very beautiful! Dickenson, towards north end, up by Halycon(by blue pier) , is our fav spot. Sneaky Pete's has his own jet ski etc. Although theres always someone walking the beach, looking for your jet ski dollars! Have been asked about horse riding from beach too. Only do liquid lunches on shore, so no info on restaurant, sorry. But most bars do decent food. Clean public toilets up by Halycon resort, just past market stalls but most bars have toilets, hit and miss on being clean though! To escape the beach vendors(stay on ship!) drop your towel in front on Haylcon resort, would probabley hire you sunbed if you asked and not busy . Though the beach here looks like it belongs to them all beaches on Antigua are public. I took stroll to end of beach and was the only sole on it. Beautifully peaceful and got my best ever postcard shot for my photo album! Have a great time, sure you willicon7.gif!!

• 2 weeks later...
We took taxi to Dickenson to do horse riding. Dropped us off on main road to meet horses and guide. Info guy at dockside made call for us when we got off ship to meet him and arranged taxi for us. Had a great ride down to Runaway bay, across to St James(i think)beach and round in a loop back to Dickenson. So yes they are next to each other. Runaway much quieter, didn't have so many beach bars, but was concentrating on staying on horse though! Very beautiful! Dickenson, towards north end, up by Halycon(by blue pier) , is our fav spot. Sneaky Pete's has his own jet ski etc. Although theres always someone walking the beach, looking for your jet ski dollars! Have been asked about horse riding from beach too. Only do liquid lunches on shore, so no info on restaurant, sorry. But most bars do decent food. Clean public toilets up by Halycon resort, just past market stalls but most bars have toilets, hit and miss on being clean though! To escape the beach vendors(stay on ship!) drop your towel in front on Haylcon resort, would probabley hire you sunbed if you asked and not busy . Though the beach here looks like it belongs to them all beaches on Antigua are public. I took stroll to end of beach and was the only sole on it. Beautifully peaceful and got my best ever postcard shot for my photo album! Have a great time, sure you willicon7.gif!!

Which end of the beach did you stroll to? I walked that beach a lot in 2007 when we vacationed just above Halcyon and Sandels and we never had a problem using the loungers or restrooms at the Halcyon. We bought the occasional drink at the bar and we tended to go to at the beach from 9-11 or after 3:30 so it was never very busy so we were never approached by security. My favorite little discovery on the beach was the Sibony Beach resort past Sandels by the Coconut Beach Restaurant. It is an oasis tucked in beside and behind the restaurant. There was a courtyard shaded with many types of palms, there was a lovely little pool and the sound of the birds in there was incredible. I was stunned by it's beauty and peacefulness. If heaven was in the Caribbean this is what I think it would look like.

Sounds like Ziggys is a good place to hang for the day and it seems as if the cab fare is about $ 12-15 each way for 4 of us 2 adults/2 teens.

Do you have to pre-arrange pick up with the same driver and use the I'll pay you on the return trip thing, or is there always taxis waiting by the red phone booth or somewhere else?

I've seen post for haning out at Coconut Grove, Sneaky Pete’s, the beach or Tony’s Bar ? Which one would be best for renting chairs/umbrellas and close to or with beach toys.

Canuk

We've rented chairs and umberellas off both Sneeky Pete and this year Tonys(next door i think), both have water jet skis etc. Always someone touting for banana boat rides too. Taxis usually charge $3 per person up each way to Dickenson, we normally pay driver on return. The only Ziggy's we've been to is the one on South Frigate beach on St Kitts, but may be one here too. Happy Hols!

Archived