New Apple device (possibly on Oasis)!

DEIx15x8

Apple has developed a new device for their in store checkout system. It is basically a bulky iPod Touch that includes a scanner. This is most likely what RCCL will be using to scan everyone's room keys throughout the ship.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/03/overview-of-apples-new-ipod-touch-based-easypay-retail-store-checkout-system/

121056-easypay_front.jpg

121056-easypay_scanner.jpg

121056-easypay_signature.jpg

Royal Caribbean has said in past articles, interviews, and Q&As that the crew would have portable devices to scan peoples key cards. They are going to use these portable devices to check people into shows, check waivers, check who's at the muster station, and allow people to purchase drinks. They have also said that the WOW phone runs the official Apple iPhoneOS and that the crew will have those devices as well but with a different set of tools. Theirs will allow them to receive notices of things that need repairs or issues. The iPhoneOS can only be run on official Apple hardware.

Based on these reports of two devices the only logical thing is for them to be one. They are not going to have the crew carrying around a WOW phone to receive drink orders and a portable card scanner to pay for it. That means that they are either developing their own card scanner to plug into the bottom of the iPhone/Touch or they are using this device. Seeing as they have already partnered with Apple to get the OS tweaked through the Enterprise program they are likely able to gain access to these devices as well.

FYI, they just showed the PDA's they are using on Oasis of the Seas, and it's not Apple. They will be Motorola. You can see for yourself, if you like, in the Day 12 Oasis video on oasisoftheseas.com

You beat me to it, I knew I had seen that on the video and was watching again to check the make. Motorola it is

I saw that in the video. Don't really understand why they are mixing two different platforms. From an IT stand point that makes no sense and almost always leads to issues. From a corporate stand point the only thing that I can think of is that the Apple platform is more user friendly and recognizable than the motorola crew device but the motorola will be more durable and probably cheaper.

I saw that in the video. Don't really understand why they are mixing two different platforms. From an IT stand point that makes no sense and almost always leads to issues. From a corporate stand point the only thing that I can think of is that the Apple platform is more user friendly and recognizable than the motorola crew device but the motorola will be more durable and probably cheaper.

By the way, don't want you to get me wrong. I am a total apple fanboy. Drank the Kool-aid a long time ago. :)

Archived