Tenders, particularly in Hawaii

circee

What is Hal's procedure for tendering? It's been several years since we've sailed Hal and, in any event, the procedure might have changed. We don't have enough sea days to go to the front of the line, and we aways book our own excursions. Will it be difficult for us to get the first tender off the ship? Also, if I remember right, it isn't unusal to arrive at ports a little earlier than schedule? Kona is the port I'm particuarly concerned about getting off the ship asap for a non-Hal excursion.

I am not sure how it works there, but I assume the group you are touring with are very used to waiting for you to get off the ship- seem to remember a port that you signed up for a tender and on another you went to a specific part of the ship for a disembark card. I do know that they do not point it out much so you may have to ask questions - good luck

Will it be difficult for us to get the first tender off the ship?

You will need to get a tender ticket unless you are in a suite (they can leave anytime). HAL excursions get the first chance for tender tickets. I would say your chances aren't very good.

HAL excursions get to leave first and suite passengers can leave anytime; I would say your chances aren't very good.

Also 4-star Mariners can leave anytime also. If you are not in a suite, a 4-star Mariner or on a HAL tour you will need to go to the lounge for a tender ticket. You will then wait until your number is called.

A lot also depends on sea conditions. On the Zaandam this month, you had to go to the show lounge and get a numbered ticket. Shore excursions went first. We had ship's excursions in both ports and got off first in Maui, but since it was a later one, just went for a number in Kona. We went to the lounge. The voucher said go about 45 minutes before the tour time, but we went about 1 1/2 hour early which was good because the swells made tendering a slower procedure. At least we knew they would wait for us.

I guess it all depends on how early your private tour is and if they will wait until you tender in.

Thank you for your responses. Oh well, guess I better change my plans for Kona or fork over more dough for a Hal excursion:-(

If the ship is scheduled to anchor between 30-45 minutes prior to your non HAL excursion, you will make it. Just be at the lounge that gives out the tender tickets earlier enough to get the first tender tickets. We have had no problems in the past.

Thank you for your responses. Oh well, guess I better change my plans for Kona or fork over more dough for a Hal excursion:-(

When we were on the Zaandam for the Hawaii cruise, we'd have breakfast early in our cabin, then go as early as possible to get a tender ticket so that we were on one of the first 2 tenders. However, that was before the Priority Tender Boarding by 4-Star Mariners. I don't know how many of them want to go early, though. In Kona the first tender left about 7:30am

Archived